cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hand-tracking on PCVR through Quest Link?

Mild-Dog
Expert Protege

There's a hand-tracking app on PCVR I've wanted to try for a while and I still can't seem to use it.

Is it possible through the Quest 2?

MildDog_0-1663893593743.gif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kojack
MVP
MVP

Unfortunately no. The weightless demo was made in 2014 as a demo of the Leap Motion, it can't work without one.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello! How cool is it to be able to move your hands and control the headset without using controllers! However, we see you mentioned having difficulty doing so, and we understand your concern, but have no fear, Meta is here. Let's see what we can do to get you taken care of and controller-free.

Please follow these steps here to resolve your issue. Please let us know if you are still having difficulty with these steps, and we will look into other options for you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

kojack
MVP
MVP

I think OculusSupport skipped their morning coffee again.

The application in question is for the Leap Motion. This is a hardware device with a proprietary software development kit. You have to have a Leap Motion plugged in to use it.

Currently the Leap Motion is going for about $110. https://www.ultraleap.com/product/leap-motion-controller/#pricingandlicensing

It's a pretty cool device (I've got one), it can do far better hand tracking than the Quest 2. However there's very little software that works with it, and it means you need another usb cable to your pc.

Oculus refuse to support hand tracking in their PC software (even with the Rift-S which could easily do it), the SDK only gives you controller and head tracking data, so no Oculus based game could do it.

Virtual Desktop (commercial program for wifi streaming) did add hand tracking from Quest 2 to PC, but I believe all its doing is controller emulation, I don't think it exposes fingers to SteamVR. If it did, it wouldn't be Leap Motion compatible.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

So as of now, without throwing 110 dollars at Leap-motion, I still can't play the Weightless demo with my Quest 2?

kojack
MVP
MVP

Unfortunately no. The weightless demo was made in 2014 as a demo of the Leap Motion, it can't work without one.

I see. I was hoping that maybe someone could at-least make something like Revive where it tricks the leap motion SDK into thinking the oculus hand tracking fits.

Shame, it's such a beautiful demo too.

Ah yes, "Meta is here" our lord and savior

Finger tracking for quest 2 in quest link became possible.

you have to set the quest 2 system and the oculus software on your pc on developer mode. You will need a developer account for that. After that software on your pc can grab that finger tracking data. here is the Tutorial: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/hand-tracking.html

There is unfortunately not much software supporting quest 2 fingertracking from pcvr.

but there a few tool that can covert that data. For example OpenXR toolkit. Sadly it wasn't suitable for me since the games i play cannot use the fingertracking data from the quest 2 yet.

its really not a lot programms working with it and i whish meta would talk about it more publicly so people would develop the integration and meta release fingertracking for anybody.

This info helps my project a lot!Thanks!

tesisti_lab
Honored Guest

Hello,  unfortunately, I discovered that the tutorial link provided by @ziipzaaapM16A4 is unreachable, and I can't visualize hands in my PCVR application with the OpenXR toolkit + Meta Quest 2. Could anyone help me visualize hands with the OpenXR toolkit?

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?