I bought this about 2 1/2 months ago and ever since the beginning had occasional "headset disconnected" messages while using it. These were not too bad in the beginning and so I chalked it up to software issues.
Then on Wednesday, suddenly the headset does not work AT ALL. It shows all green under devices and everything says USB 3.0 but starting any games says "hardware issue has been discovered that prevents entering VR". During that it also applied an update to Oculus Home and some type of driver update. Not sure if that was at all involved.
Things I've tried:
- Replacing the USB card with the inatek one. Made no difference. Put the original one back that it liked (mostly) before and still not working. Now I have both in the computer so I can try different USB connections but nothing changes the message.
- Rebooted numerous times, checked for driver and windows updates.
- Removed and reseated the cable on the headset multiple times.
- Checked for broken/damaged pins or damage to the cable - none apparent.
- Tried the full setup. Get thru the first part and it says everything is connected but then says same "headset error" or "hardware error" and can't proceed at headset setup part.
- Opened a Ticket with Oculous - but no resolution.
This latter part is the part I find out disappointing. I opened a ticket late Wednesday night. Someone responded in one hour and said to reseat the cable and check all connections which I had already done so I responded and said so.
Thursday - no further response so I responded again uploading the logs for the Rift onto the ticket. No response. Finally sent a message late in the day and someone responded again to check if any bent pins or damage to cable. I responded that there was none.
Friday - no responses. So now I have sent a "what are next steps" response on the ticket to see if that gets a response.
Most companies I have dealed with you could call number, maybe wait a while on hold but talk to someone, get some assistance and some form of resolution such as a replacement (if warranted). This ticket system seems to be very slow, the answers all seem canned text and I have this sense that I will be doing this for weeks and then waiting weeks before this i resolved.
Maybe someone from Oculus is listening and can address and expedite this? I've looked on this forum and it appears my experience is the norm rather than the exception.
This is a very expensive device. The support should be better than this when there is a problem with it that is likely a hardware or software issue.
@Tjames66 is correct. You need to set any power management settings for your USB ports/controlelrs to "off," or whatever setting that will provide for maximum performance and no power-saving. Try changing the settings in your power settings, and in device manager (for the controllers/ports on your USB add on card), and see if that works.
I'm really sorry. Let me check with the team to see if we can get you a response on your ticket. I did look at your logs, and my guess would be that something is wrong with the sensor and it may need a replacement. I would recommend to continue to work with us on that support ticket for further assistance. Thanks.