cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height glitching up and down

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
Today I've been noticing this weird thing where I'm sitting inside of "I expect you to die" and while im sitting in my chair I get this glitch every once in a while where my height glitches upwards and I have to reset my default orientation to get it back down to normal. After a little while it will do it again. 

Anyone else have this?
199 REPLIES 199

will84
Expert Protege
this is really game breaking and annoying

XlordB
Adventurer
ok this may seem a little extreme but if your on windows 10 try this link. http://www.askvg.com/master-tutorial-to-make-windows-10-super-fast/ ..do all the tweaks you can. I suggest turning off ALL apps via powershell. I did this and my windows is literally flying.. Oculus is running extremely well right now. The reason i tried this is I thought I should not be having the performance issues i was. I noticed that whenever a vr game starts to lose performance is when the tracking issues got worse after doing these tweaks my tracking suddenly became very good. Im not sure which of the tweaks helped but the experience now for me is much smoother.. I did have two issues after the tweaks. One was my tracking started to jitter with the hands. however when i took of the headset to check my sensors turns out one of them had hanged or something as it was giving poor tracking quality in the setttings.  A replug fixed that and now im back to good tracking. it doesnt fix all the problems ie the spinning controller etc but PERFORMANCE in games is smooth as butter for vr. 

Gravity1368
Protege
My third sensor came into today and with it a lot of these height glitches. Now before it came in I've been running two sensors diagonally, and my tracking has been 90% okay not vive like but not bad. I would get the height shifting up and down maybe once or twice a session wasn't to bad, but now with the third sensor every time I face a sensor my height shifts and its very noticeable. Tried all the fixes even made them all equal in height but the shifting remains. Pretty frustrated with my Oculus at this point I've gone above and beyond to fix my tracking issues hell I bought two different usb 3 cards. Im sure these are just growing pains and can be fixed in software but its clear to me that Oculus didnt think roomscale vr was going to be a hit and now are trying to play catch up. I really want to use my Rift but after dealing with these tracking issues since touch came Im done for a while and will just use my vive till this is fixed or we get an update. 

Zandil
Rising Star
Well It's back 😞

Wildt
Consultant

Pretty frustrated with my Oculus at this point I've gone above and beyond to fix my tracking issues hell I bought two different usb 3 cards. 

I think many feel this way - what might just be buggy software has tempted them (myself included) to buy an extra sensor and USB card.

You can argue it's our own fault, but when Oculus' official stance is that only a few people experience problems, and that those are isolated different issues, what else can we be expected to do?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

tellmike
Protege
I have been experiencing the height glitch as well. With 2 sensors it happend pretty seldom but now with 3 it's just bananas - happening all the time when I'm turning around. It's pretty unplayable. Getting nauseaus so quick it's crazy.

It's not only height glitches, but I now also get floting away controllers (facing the 3rd sensor results in bad Touch tracking), and when I turn around (180 degrees) then the perspective is shifted in a strange way and everything seems too move/float around slightly. It's subtle but noticable and induces nausea. So 360 is not really working that well at this point. So the 3rd sensor gives some tracking benifits but there's way too much issues with roomscale at this point.

I have ensured that no reflections are disturbing the tracking, and I've been very meticulous when setting up and calibrated the sensors.

Can anyone confirm if this issue has been reproduced by Oculus, and that someone is actually working on fixing it? I can assure you that it's not a handful of people, but probably a lot of users that just are too lazy reporting/writing about it.

Cheers

Phil007
Protege
I experienced the height glitch and the floaty hands for the first time today.
3 sensors. I moved the back sensor to a slightly different angle out of curiousity. Maybe 10 degrees. All of a sudden, i am getting height glitches once every minute or so and my hands start to float when i face the back sensor.
I then changed the angle back again, and the glitches stopped along with the floaty hand. I never changed the distance. Only the angle. It surprised me because even with the modified angle, there was a clear view to the camera. Almost straight on.

tellmike
Protege

Phil007 said:

I moved the back sensor to a slightly different angle out of curiousity. Maybe 10 degrees. All of a sudden, i am getting height glitches once every minute or so and my hands start to float when i face the back sensor.

Do you have any details of how you moved the camera angle when it worked best (i.e. to which part of the body did you angle it towards)?

At the moment I have my rear (3rd) camera pointed towards my chest/lower-back to get a better coverage on the floor. I used the Desk Scene to help to get the coverage correct, so that I can lift my arms up and also get a good floor coverage. My cameras are within ~2.5 m away from me.

metadane
Honored Guest
Anyone who is getting the height glitch should check their error log for the "sensor moved" warning. Submit these logs to Oculus if you are getting them. I am!

metadane
Honored Guest

Epxzz said:

The problem lies within the headset itself. I just tried the headset of a friend with the exact same setup/computer/USB ports and it worked flawlessly! LED brightness is exact same for both headset (I did not check the frequencies).

This is a big problem: I spent hours and days trying to fix this stupid glitch. I was about to wipe my complete system making backups and reinstall windows. Then maybe buying extra hardware for other USB Ports.

Please give us an update on what will happen next.
I heard there will be an update at the end of the month... but I really feel fooled again, two month without a fix?
Can I just run this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44368/is-your-rifts-view-tilted-slanted-heres-how-you-fix-it
Will it the issue shown in this thread? Will it void warranty?

Sorry for sounding a bit impatient, but I bought the controllers, more than a month ago and every time I use them buggy like they are now I loose faith/trust in the Rift. I won't leave Steam for a while if things keep going like this.

A bit odd if this was the headset itself, as most of our error logs are showing sensor timeouts and "sensor moved" errors.