cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Protege

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

seanstashuk
Honored Guest

Mnem0nic said:

Plugged my Vive back in with zero tracking issues, it's pure bliss after troubleshooting Oculus 3rd sensor tracking issue's since Dec 9th with no success.. Its such a shame as I like the Rift and prefer the comfy feel of it but the tracking issues are a deal breaker for me.. I was gonna show the family when they come around for Christmas but that's not going to happen with the Rift at least... sux...      

I was giving Oculus the benefit of the doubt when it came to nailing the tracking, but it seems like they just can't figure it out yet... 😞

Mnem0nic
Protege
I'm sure its just teething problems, I mean the Vive when first released was not flawless out of the box and had near the same issues with drifting/warping controllers but not nearly as bad and was fixed pretty fast if I remember rightly.. 

I'm sure Oculus are on the case, just have to play the waiting game  😞

SuperTuck
Expert Protege
Yeah, but they have had an extra eight months to iron this out before launch. Losing a bit of faith right now.

Mnem0nic
Protege

SuperTuck said:

Yeah, but they have had an extra eight months to iron this out before launch. Losing a bit of faith right now.

Yeah I totally agree, I guess I'm just making excuses to my self to soften the blow a bit hehe.. 

StreetPreacher
Adventurer

I've had the Vive and Rift since launch, and the Vive NEVER had ANY TRACKING PROBLEMS that I can recall...  Just stuck the lighthouses in opposing corners of the room and forgot about them, while tracking always worked flawlessly...

I had just finished packing up the Vive to sell after my Touch arrived, but now I'm seriously reconsidreing which unit to keep...

The trouble is I assume that the Rift will be VERY difficult to sell second hand now that the embarrassingly inferior tracking system has been discovered...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for sharing the logs. This will help us get to the root of the problem.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

XlordB
Adventurer

I've had the Vive and Rift since launch, and the Vive NEVER had ANY TRACKING PROBLEMS that I can recall...  Just stuck the lighthouses in opposing corners of the room and forgot about them, while tracking always worked flawlessly...

I had just finished packing up the Vive to sell after my Touch arrived, but now I'm seriously reconsidreing which unit to keep...

The trouble is I assume that the Rift will be VERY difficult to sell second hand now that the embarrassingly inferior tracking system has been discovered...

the tracking problems  most have including me are not hardware related the sensors are way more capable than we see advertised. the problem lies more with the way the software is handling the tracking. The problem i see is that they seem to have designed the software with mainly 180 degree tracking in mind instead of actually trying to design the software for an actual two sensor each corner 360 setup. because of this most of us who want to do corner to corner two sensor room scale are having tracking issues. they would have been better optimising it for that since 90 percent of us most likely would prefer that setup imo.

StreetPreacher
Adventurer

Xlo
the tracking problems  most have including me are not hardware related the sensors are way more capable than we see advertised. the problem lies more with the way the software is handling the tracking. The problem i see is that they seem to have designed the software with mainly 180 degree tracking in mind instead of actually trying to design the software for an actual two sensor each corner 360 setup. because of this most of us who want to do corner to corner two sensor room scale are having tracking issues. they would have been better optimising it for that since 90 percent of us most likely would prefer that setup imo.

I've been reading people report similar issues even using the recommended 180 setup...

And I do agree that the Rift sensor hardware seems to be more than capable (tracking does indeed cover my entire room floor to ceiling), but I guess they just rushed the software so they could launch before Xmas...

I'd be surprised if these issues weren't noticed during in-house testing, and now we all get to pay to help beta test the tracking system...

It's just frustrating to be standing in full view a few feet in front of a sensor, and seeing my 'hands' stutter and swim around.

I knew that there would be potential issues with occulusion, but in practice occulusion has never been a problem.  The problems seem to happen when youre in the middle of the playspace in full view of both sensors...

SuperTuck
Expert Protege
The problem for me seems to be sensor hand off. I get jumping controllers and HMD when I quickly move between sensor areas sometimes.

itakumre
Explorer
I also have problem with stuttering tracking on both headset and touch controllers. It is most noticeable when I try to look behind me.
My setup is 2 sensors, front facing. 
I have tried to switch USB ports, change sensors placement and angle, switch power management setting on Windows 10 and still nothing.
I wonder if this event log:
{!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] Image did not pass the sanity test!  Throwing it away (camera possibly in a bad state)
means that I have faulty sensor...
Uploading my logs. Hope it will help somehow.