cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Protege

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
I would hold off on the USB card. You haven't added any more taxation to the USB chipset or controllers by using the Touch controllers. I presume you did the entire Rift setup again after getting Touch? The tracking sensor test comes out positive with no warnings?

AJBats
Protege
I have this issue too. My virtual position with guardian will randomly jump around. The support forum has many threads now with people all reporting very similar issue to this one. Hopefully oculus has its eye on this issue.

Callidus80
Protege
I have the same issue as well! I'm sure its only started since I got the second sensor. Here's a video showing the issue at its worst https://youtu.be/CVElwsze650

AJBats
Protege

I have the same issue as well! I'm sure its only started since I got the second sensor. Here's a video showing the issue at its worst https://youtu.be/CVElwsze650

Awesome thanks for the video. I'm going to use this to help spread the word.

Raynbeaux
Honored Guest
Hey, have you guys run across any debugging steps we can take?  (Other than switching computers/re-running the user friendly setup, which I've tried already)

BCL74
Explorer
Having this issue as well, it's driving me crazy, the height keeps glitching out and shifting, but seems to only happen in certain games...Job simulator and I expect you to die...

Raynbeaux
Honored Guest
Oh wait, I think I figured out my problem.. I had the sensors on a standing desk, and I guess their algorithm just can't handle repeated occlusions gracefully.  Whenever I waved a touch controller in front of my head, it would glitch out and teleport my face around randomly.  I moved one sensor lower down, and put the other one higher up, and that seems to have worked around my problems

BCL74
Explorer
Hm didn't seem to work for me. It's very clearly switching sensors when the tracking shifts from one sensor to the other, or one is occluded. Like if I reach for something in the far corner in job sim it will switch only to switch back when I reach back to normal positions. It's really strange and making the rift unplayable right now....

APGamerZ
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue with two sensors. Whenever I turn away from the sensors the tracking shifts and it also seems to occur when I occlude myself with the touch controllers. The touch controllers also have serious tracking problems when they're occluded by my body, but I'm not sure if that's expected. The touch tracking issues are a nuisance, but the HMD tracking issues make things almost unplayable. Whenever I turn away the entire VR world shifts, I can see the shift in my guardian boundaries like other people are mentioning. It shifts back when I turn towards the sensors again, and I sometimes often see shifts even when I'm not completely turned around. It's a serious problem. My head tracking was great with one sensor but with two it's awful. My touch tracking isn't too great either since it goes wacky the second it's occluded.

When facing towards the sensors everything is fine, but it's a problem if I can't turn.