cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Level 4

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

Sanborn
Level 3
@cybereality I just e-mailed this into support but I recorded this tonight, using 3 camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dVfz1A-1cQ

After this I unplugged my rear camera and re-cal'd and the exact same thing happened again, but it happened inside the Oculus setup app where it scans me when I click trigger. Are you supposed to restart your PC between adding and removing cameras?

Log: 

Mnem0nic
Level 4

Wildlyfe said:

Same here I ended up getting a fourth sensor bUT seems like the more sensors I add the more my whole play area keeps jumping around while switching from sensor to sensor. Two up front or two diagonal wasn't too bad but 4 in each corner or 3 sensor reccommened setup is just unusable. I also have my sensors upside down it is the only way I can mount them with out buying a bunch of tripods. This is just ridiculous. Especially after all the USB extensions I bought and returned trying to find ones that worked. Vive is seemingly better by the day.



That's the feeling I'm getting too,, bouncing between sensors as you move 360.. I have an inateck card on the way (Don't think I'm gonna use it as I have the ports required tbh).. I'm using a Z97 chipset with 6 USB3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports...

Plugged my Vive back in with zero tracking issues, it's pure bliss after troubleshooting Oculus 3rd sensor tracking issue's since Dec 9th with no success.. Its such a shame as I like the Rift and prefer the comfy feel of it but the tracking issues are a deal breaker for me.. I was gonna show the family when they come around for Christmas but that's not going to happen with the Rift at least... sux...      

HoIIywood
Level 7

Mnem0nic said:

.....
Plugged my Vive back in with zero tracking issues, it's pure bliss after troubleshooting Oculus 3rd sensor tracking issue's since Dec 9th with no success.. Its such a shame as I like the Rift and prefer the comfy feel of it but the tracking issues are a deal breaker for me.. I was gonna show the family when they come around for Christmas but that's not going to happen with the Rift at least... sux...      



At this point, if someone figures out how to use Touch with Vive, I may consider checking out the competition.

jehuda73
Level 2
hi there

I v got good specs (1080 gtx i7) two sensors,  touch controllers and the CV1 and got the same problems.

Then I came across that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6A3esQ9z7w

He doesn't seem to have any of these problems, Maybe there is a perfect sensors setting where display never jumps from one sensor to another but right now I can't figure it out
I don't own bullet train so maybe it s software related (the problem seems to be more problematic with job simulator on my setting for instance)

By the way I also used to own a vive. The frennel lenses of the Vive where a no go for me (the door effect was killing game experience and immersion I can finally enjoy emite dangerous+I prefer the pixel density and comfort of rift+ touch) but regarding motion tracking it s day and night

the stutter issue we discuss is not the only one with rift
- from day one my rift vr display has been tilted to the left and the calibration tool did not solve the issue
- vr doesn't feel as stable than htc vive or even psvr. The display is never stable on the rift always swimming or wobbling as soon as you move your head look behind windows etc even when you r looking straight at something, It s actually really killing the immersion, especially when you tried a vive before

The vive is completely flawless regarding track motion, occlusion is always a problem but vr feels so stable so present on a vive it s due to the stability and the precision of tracking.

I know that media said how vive was better than rift concerning motion tracking but I am quite surprised when touch controllers were out how every video game site said how it was now the best experience without saying a word about how buggy vr felt sometimes on rift.

I really think that the rift is a good compromise in terms of ergonomy and display compared to vive and psvr but the motion tracking and sensors issue have to be solved, I almost want to plug my psvr to enjoy a good job simulator nonsense time .......



EliteSPA
Level 9
@cybereality does it really matters usb 2.0 instead of 3.0? I mean the sensors. Does usb 2.0 add more ms to the tracking response? My USB innateck 4 ports still having blue screens when installing fresco logic drivers, when I install the windows default drivers got disconnection alerts from the sensors.....so for now they are using the usb 2.0 instead.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Mnem0nic
Level 4

EliteSPA said:

@cybereality does it really matters usb 2.0 instead of 3.0? I mean the sensors.


Is this guy (Cybereality) the only OC Tech Support forum guru here ? I mean, it seems a bit daft to have just one guy cover this entire board, he has no real answers apart from "upload logs" and "I'll pass it on to the team" etc pretty much generic scripts lol. 

With Touch being out and oculus selling extra sensors I would of thought the Support would be a bit more switched on than it is now... No disrespect to this Cyber guy I'm sure he's doing his best, but come on Oculus give this guy some help as it seems he is in over his head with issues since touch launched.. The Support needs Support 😄

For what its worth EliteSPA, Personally I've tried all ports (Just Sensors) on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and everything worked fine but the issues with tracking are still there.. So right now for me at least it makes no difference at all what ports to use..  

Uberwolfe
Level 5
I finally had to time to rearrange my setup. Moved my sensors from upside-down on the ceiling to the "conventional" method directly beside my monitor. This seems to have fixed all my tracking issues...

I just got through a solid 2 hours in Arizona Sunshine without a hitch when previously the tracking was jumping from sensor to sensor every few minutes making the game completely unplayable.

So for me the issue was definitely related to mounting my sensors upside down.

Hope this is a coding glitch they can sort out as the ceiling is still the best place for me to mount my sensors and not have to move my speakers etc.

For reference, here's how I have had to set them up.
uj7096fbtq01.jpg



beeli
Level 3
@Uberwolfe: Thanks for sharing your solution. That's exactly how my setup looks like and I still have this problem. How did you distribute your cameras / headset to the USB ports, did you use special drivers?

Uberwolfe
Level 5
@beeli Nothing special, I just use a TP-LINK powered USB 3.0 hub for one sensor and the XBONE controller dongle. The other sensor and headset are plugged directly into USB 3.0 ports on the mobo.

Gravity1368
Level 4

jehuda73 said:

hi there

I v got good specs (1080 gtx i7) two sensors,  touch controllers and the CV1 and got the same problems.

Then I came across that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6A3esQ9z7w

He doesn't seem to have any of these problems, Maybe there is a perfect sensors setting where display never jumps from one sensor to another but right now I can't figure it out
I don't own bullet train so maybe it s software related (the problem seems to be more problematic with job simulator on my setting for instance)

By the way I also used to own a vive. The frennel lenses of the Vive where a no go for me (the door effect was killing game experience and immersion I can finally enjoy emite dangerous+I prefer the pixel density and comfort of rift+ touch) but regarding motion tracking it s day and night

the stutter issue we discuss is not the only one with rift
- from day one my rift vr display has been tilted to the left and the calibration tool did not solve the issue
- vr doesn't feel as stable than htc vive or even psvr. The display is never stable on the rift always swimming or wobbling as soon as you move your head look behind windows etc even when you r looking straight at something, It s actually really killing the immersion, especially when you tried a vive before

The vive is completely flawless regarding track motion, occlusion is always a problem but vr feels so stable so present on a vive it s due to the stability and the precision of tracking.

I know that media said how vive was better than rift concerning motion tracking but I am quite surprised when touch controllers were out how every video game site said how it was now the best experience without saying a word about how buggy vr felt sometimes on rift.

I really think that the rift is a good compromise in terms of ergonomy and display compared to vive and psvr but the motion tracking and sensors issue have to be solved, I almost want to plug my psvr to enjoy a good job simulator nonsense time .......





I know this feeling I was hoping with touch coming out I could sell my vive since I prefer the Rift in every way, but I dont think Im going to do that till these tracking issues are solved. I love my Rift + touch combo but these tracking issues are killing me.