cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible performance with official Link cable and Quest.

NumberXer0
Sightseer
I run a GTX 2080, i9 9900k and 32GB. I've had a Rift CV1 for a few years now and I've run every single game I've played maxed out at a steady 90fps. I recently bought a Quest for portability and better tracking. I followed up that purchase with an official $80 Oculus Link cable which just arrived today.

Ever since attempting to use Link, I can't run a single game smoothly. Everything stutters, I have ridiculous frame drops and everything makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. I can run all of my games fine on the Rift CV1 and my games run well enough on the Quest itself. Its only when playing via Link that this happens.

Windows 10 is fully up to date, as are my GPU drivers and all others. Oculus Home software and Quest firmware are fully up to date. Oculus Home is not on the PTC. I have disabled Vsync through my GPU. All supersampling is turned off. My cable is plugged directly into the designated VR USB3 port on the back of my RTX. There is no bloatware or unnecessary programs running in the background. No overclocking is enabled or needed on my system. 

I've run through various topics on Link issues and I've done it all to no avail. This issue is 100% caused by Link. I can plug in my CV1 and run Asgard's Wrath with no stutter and frame drops. Then I hook up my Quest and it runs like its on a PC from 2005. What am I missing here? Is this seriously how Link runs?
19 REPLIES 19

SparkyZA
Explorer
I seem to have a similar issue. Running on a Razer Blade 15 with the RTX2080 Max-Q, i7-9750 and 16GB RAM. I initially thought it may be the cable as I don't have the official cable, using an Anker cable which other forum members have indicated works fine. I don't want to shell out the cash for the official cable if the experience isn't going to change.
Even just being in the room for SteamVR menu drops a crazy amount of frames. I've turned on the performance HUD and it's quite consistent (in my experience) in that it'll run at 72FPS and every 5 or so seconds will drop down to 30FPS for a second or two. Makes everything pretty much unplayable. I don't see it being a PC issue as everything says it's almost at idle, but willing to try anything really to get to the bottom of this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its probably due to the latest drivers released across all devices (version 12.) Its completely broken and causes these kinds of frame drops on all oculus products but, as far as anyone can tell, only with certain hardware configurations. Oculus has the worst customer service in the world and will not tell us anything publicly. Info is trickling out from people who have opened tickets. In my opinion, none of the feedback oculus has given people has been helpful. This problem has been going on for more than two weeks with no end in sight and they just say they are aware of the problem and are working on it... even though the simplest thing in the world would be to just roll back to the prior driver which works fine. My suggestion... just stick it out until the fix comes and then seriously consider upgrading to a different headset manufacturer because Oculus keeps doing things like this and they don't seem to learn from their mistakes.

NumberXer0
Sightseer

Its probably due to the latest drivers released across all devices (version 12.) Its completely broken and causes these kinds of frame drops on all oculus products but, as far as anyone can tell, only with certain hardware configurations. Oculus has the worst customer service in the world and will not tell us anything publicly. Info is trickling out from people who have opened tickets. In my opinion, none of the feedback oculus has given people has been helpful. This problem has been going on for more than two weeks with no end in sight and they just say they are aware of the problem and are working on it... even though the simplest thing in the world would be to just roll back to the prior driver which works fine. My suggestion... just stick it out until the fix comes and then seriously consider upgrading to a different headset manufacturer because Oculus keeps doing things like this and they don't seem to learn from their mistakes.

Well its a good thing the Quest can manually upgrade and downgrade its firmware at will. I'm just going to roll back to v11 and see if that helps.

Maxxgold
Rising Star
if you if you have a CV1, then it will always perform better than the linked quest. I’m not having the issues you are, but I would only use a linked Quest if that was all I had. 

Thanks for your report about the official link cable. You are the second person to pretty much report that the official cable is junk, and not worth the money. 

NumberXer0
Sightseer

Maxxgold said:

if you if you have a CV1, then it will always perform better than the linked quest. I’m not having the issues you are, but I would only use a linked Quest if that was all I had. 

Thanks for your report about the official link cable. You are the second person to pretty much report that the official cable is junk, and not worth the money. 

I'm aware that it won't perform as well, I'm only using it to take away the 3 sensors and all the wires I have all over my ceiling. I can deal with slightly lesser performance in exchange for convenience but this performance is unacceptable. I'll wait until the new firmware update I guess. If it doesn't fix it, then I'll just return the Quest.

ohgrant
Superstar
 Not the case here. I have a CV1 and original Vive. No issues at all with linked Quest on version 12. My CV1 is showing some minimal stuttering since ver 12 in Asgard's wrath and Lone Eco, My CV1 is now retired until the next update that temporarily disables the Quest. 
.A fable to say the least that the CV1 performs better than the linked Quest and looks many times better than both my CV1 and Vive @2.0 SS
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Maxxgold
Rising Star

ohgrant said:

Not the case here. I have a CV1 and original Vive. No issues at all with linked Quest on version 12. My CV1 is showing some minimal stuttering since ver 12 in Asgard's wrath and Lone Eco, My CV1 is now retired until the next update that temporarily disables the Quest. 
.A fable to say the least that the CV1 performs better than the linked Quest and looks many times better than both my CV1 and Vive @2.0 SS

Not a fable at all. The CV1 is much better than a linked Quest. It not even comparable. SS 1.5 standard, and 2.0 when possible. If you just put the Quest on for a few seconds it may appear better, but try playing a game for any period of time and you will start to notice compression and artifacts on the Quest. Not to mention that the Quest feels like a brick on your head after 30 minutes and the CV1 is light as a feather as a comparison. Then compare the audio, where the CV1 audio is like a symphony compared to the Quest. I love my quest, but your just supporting your purchase if you think it’s better than a CV1 for PC gaming. 

I have a Valve Index for PC gaming now, but I would gladly put on my CV1 instead of the Quest any day of the week. 

NumberXer0
Sightseer
Related to the topic in a way, but is there a way to return physical purchases from Oculus? This cable is not at all worth it and I'd like to return it. But there doesn't seem to be an option..

Maxxgold
Rising Star

Related to the topic in a way, but is there a way to return physical purchases from Oculus? This cable is not at all worth it and I'd like to return it. But there doesn't seem to be an option..

Contact support and see what your options are. Post back when you find out if you don’t mind. I think there will be a lot of returns.