cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i stop my left thumbstick from moving me to the left?

Anonymous
Not applicable
so about 6 months ago I started having an issue where I would slide to the left in a lot of steam vr games, I fixed it by playing the oculus versions as they came out... but now, even in the oculus versions of the games, I commonly (every 30 seconds at least and for 1-8 seconds) begin sliding to the left, even if my hand isn't on the controller, and even if the last way I moved the thumbstick was to the right. No matter what I will move to the left (trust me, I've been trying to fix this for half a year)

the problem isn't the thumbstick getting stuck to the left.
nothing sticky has every gotten onto the controllers.

the only way I can think to fix this is with deadzones, and I have no bloody clue where the ini for that would be.
15 REPLIES 15

Riotsu
Protege
I have this issue too in every game I play.  This morning I was in VR for 3 hours with no issue, then after a few hours with my pc off I turned it on and I'm sliding to the left without pressing anything.  There are no solutions online that I can find, trying the repair tool now but I doubt that's going to work.
I have already checked for updates, no new updates came in recently and no updates are required.  So updating is not the issue.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I was having this problem with a few games.  I finally figured out that my HOTAS flight sticks (which I did not need for those games) was causing interferrence.  I unplugged them, restarted the game, and all was well again.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Riotsu
Protege
I tried the repair tool from the oculus setup exe, no difference. The problem seems to come from the right oculus touch thumbstick.  I tried the "deadzone" fix on reddit and was able to stop the drifting, but now I can't move straight forward or backward without it tilting to the left, or turning to the left depending on the VR game.
I don't have any other controllers plugged in either. 

This issue is so frustrating because it was working fine for half the day and then all the sudden it wasn't, with no changes made to the hardware or software.  I don't know what else to do.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @Riotsu, I'm sorry to hear about your issue with the right controller. It's definitely unusual. Could you please contact support at https://support.oculus.com so we can help you with this? Thanks! -Rick
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Richooal
Consultant

Hey @Riotsu, I'm sorry to hear about your issue with the right controller. It's definitely unusual. Could you please contact support at https://support.oculus.com so we can help you with this? Thanks! -Rick

Right? Wrong. Left. 😉
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Riotsu
Protege
After a long chain of troubleshooting emails with Oculus Support, the only help they can offer is a link to their store page for me to buy a new $70 controller.  If I knew the long-term costs of having an Oculus headset, I probably would have bought a vive.
So if you're having a drifting problem, pay $70 to fix it, because Oculus won't help you.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Well one guy had similar problem which fixed itself when he disconnected entire computer from mains... Sometimes things just happen beyond any rational explanation. Hopefully the new hardware fixes your problem.

Riotsu
Protege

sraura said:

Well one guy had similar problem which fixed itself when he disconnected entire computer from mains... Sometimes things just happen beyond any rational explanation. Hopefully the new hardware fixes your problem.

I'll go ahead and give that a try.  Never heard the term "mains" used in reference to the electrical grid before.  But I'm not buying another touch controller.  I'm done spending so much on replacing Oculus hardware, which all seem to malfunction after casual use (products were not damaged) so I'll just get an Index.

Nub_Nuggler
Honored Guest
I don’t remember where I saw this but it works for my controller. You have to blow into the joystick that’s moving by itself and wiggle it around while you do that. I think the cause is some dirt that gets inside the controller.