cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much performance improvement from video card upgrade

kqpro88
Honored Guest
I just got an Oculus and thinking about upgrading my graphics card.
Currently I have a GTX 760 and can play most of the games. I noticed in
BigScreen Beta I can't see the movies or videos on the "big screen" very clearly... The basic games are okay so far..

How much of an
improvement will I see if i get an 980 or even 1080?
9 REPLIES 9

reddeath360
Expert Protege
you would have a huge jump in grfx basicly over all aspects of gaming . movies and video will not clear up but you can play games like project cars at a much higher detail

dougchism
Expert Protege
Wait for the 1080Ti, should be here by March and will give near TitanX performance for a small price increase over current 1080 prices. 

Dark3stWhite
Protege
the difference in quality would be incredible.  Basically you could play any VR game our there on Ultra settings with no issues

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

dougchism said:

Wait for the 1080Ti, should be here by March and will give near TitanX performance for a small price increase over current 1080 prices. 

Yeah, but when the CV2 comes out you'll regret buying it because for the same money you could get a GTX 1280.

This shit is why it takes me forever to buy upgrades.:(

dougchism
Expert Protege

TwoHedWlf said:

dougchism said:

Yeah, but when the CV2 comes out you'll regret buying it because for the same money you could get a GTX 1280.

This shit is why it takes me forever to buy upgrades.:(

I pretty much upgrade my GPU every other cycle, have a 980Ti and it does pretty decently. Stil I want to be ahead of the curve for the upcoming titles, want to SS and turn up options so upgrading at 1080Ti makes sense for me. 

If CV2 comes out this X-Mas I will wait, but its possible for the following one if there is significant upgrades like Foveated rendering by eye tracking - that could really enable much better image quality for the same performance. 

falken76
Expert Consultant

yiqu1988 said:

I just got an Oculus and thinking about upgrading my graphics card.
Currently I have a GTX 760 and can play most of the games. I noticed in
BigScreen Beta I can't see the movies or videos on the "big screen" very clearly... The basic games are okay so far..

How much of an
improvement will I see if i get an 980 or even 1080?

It would run better because you'd actually be using a supported card if you upgrade.  You are currently not using a supported card.

cybereality
Grand Champion
GTX 760? I'm surprised that's even a decent experience at all. I know it will work, but I can't imagine it being that great. A new video card would be a great improvement. The 1080 is a solid card, but even a 1070 would likely still be a nice upgrade if you want something more affordable.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

kqpro88
Honored Guest
Thanks, i will be upgrading most likely then. Also how do you turn on
show FPS for games, and the settings for SS are in the games themselves
or is it an Oculus setting?

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can with the Oculus Debug Tool that comes with the PC SDK (search around, there are guides on the forum). Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV