cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dissable wifi on a quest2?

makhmudavaev
Level 2

I doesn't want to use 5g wifi on a quest2. This tech scaried me.
To much near my head. I'm worry about possible brain cancer.
I want to know how to use quest2 by wire, without 5G wifi.
How to disable this horrorible 5g?

4 REPLIES 4

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Do you mean 5 GHz WiFi? That's not the same thing as 5G, which is mobile/cellular service, which the Quest 2 doesn't have.

You can turn off WiFi in the settings menu in the headset, but you will be somewhat limited to what you can do; some apps will work without connection, but obviously you need to be connected to download and install apps. I don't believe that there is any way to connect the Quest to a network by wire.

With the Quest 2 connected to WiFi, you can use the phone app to manage downloading and installing, so that's not happening while the headset is on your head.

If you're afraid of 5 GHz WiFi but you're okay with 2.4 GHz WiFi, you can use a 2.4 GHz modem or router, or set up different SSIDs and passwords for the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands on your modem or router, and just connect your Quest to the 2.4 GHz band.

Really though, I'm not sure what your concern is--there is no known evidence that WiFi poses any sort of cancer risk.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hey there makhmudavaev, thanks for reaching out! We see you have some questions about Wifi! As Nalex66 posted, 5G and 5GHZ WiFi are different frequencies. 5G is the fifth generation technology standard for broadband cellular networks, whereas 5GHZ WiFi is a short range, home networking system that operates in the five-gigahertz radio band. You should be completely safe using WiFi on your Quest 2, however keep in mind your Quest 2 requires a Wi-Fi connection to use and access most features and content. As an alternative, you can play PC VR games with using the Link Cable.

We hope this answers any questions or concerns you may have. Cheers!

makhmudavaev
Level 2

I'm not sure about this. How to much wifi can be danger. But right now I'm not ready to use wifi. Is this possible to use quest 2 without wifi by wire? I'm worry about apps installation

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hello makhmudavaev, we appreciate your response. Currently, the only way to access online features like installing games and apps on the headset is through WiFi. The only feature we support through wire is charging the device, and using Oculus Link. If you have apps or games installed on the headset already, you'll need to check the store page to ensure they do not require an active internet connection, although internet is not required to use the headset by itself. We hope this answers any questions you may have!