cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use keyboard and mouse in Oculus VR menus?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this may seem like a basic question, but I'm not really sure how to do this. Right now, I'm currently developing my first video game and I wanted to add VR support to its engine. However, something I've found annoying is having to take the headset on to see the result when running the code, and then taking it back off again in order to write some code, and then repeating the process. I've noticed there is a virtual desktop feature in Oculus VR, which is really cool to use with the regular controllers and I love being able to call friends on Discord and then switch back to my games and whatnot. However, I would like to be able to use the Virtual Desktop with my regular mouse and keyboard so I can write code and then run it to see the result. Is this possible by any chance?
8 REPLIES 8

Richooal
Level 12
If you use Dash, your mouse and keyboard work like they normally would.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

If you use Dash, your mouse and keyboard work like they normally would.



That's what I am using, but it seems to be constantly wanting to use my touch controllers. Is there any way to get it to stop trying to pair with those when I am wanting to use the keyboard and mouse?

On top of this, whenever I am hovered hover text or text boxes, the mouse completely disappears which is extremely annoying when trying to click where I need to in order to code.

Richooal
Level 12

Whirvis said:

 it seems to be constantly wanting to use my touch controllers. Is there any way to get it to stop trying to pair with those when I am wanting to use the keyboard and mouse?



I just put the controllers to one side while I'm using m+kb, they don't affect anything I'm doing.


Whirvis said:

On top of this, whenever I am hovered over text or text boxes, the mouse completely disappears which is extremely annoying when trying to click where I need to in order to code.



Using LibreOffice, I couldn't replicate that. The cursor behaved normally for all drop down menus, text boxes, etc.
Is the problem only in your development software?
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not using LibreOffice, I am using the regular Virtual Desktop built into Oculus Dash, so I will look into what you're using. I think it might be doing that intentionally. I guess I can just put them to the side, I've done it before but I wish there was a way to make it so the entire UI could be controlled with a keyboard and mouse. Anyways, thank you for the responses!

Richooal
Level 12

Whirvis said:

I am not using LibreOffice, I am using the regular Virtual Desktop built into Oculus Dash, so I will look into what you're using. I think it might be doing that intentionally. I guess I can just put them to the side, I've done it before but I wish there was a way to make it so the entire UI could be controlled with a keyboard and mouse. Anyways, thank you for the responses!



Sorry if I confused you, I am also using "the regular Virtual Desktop built into Oculus Dash"

From within that I used LibreOffice (which is like Microsoft Office) just to test the m+kb with text boxes, etc.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, OK. Well looks like I'm out of luck then. I heard there is a way to create a virtual Oculus Rift for developing, but I don't know how to do it. Do you know how? I can't find anywhere on Google how to do it.

Richooal
Level 12

Whirvis said:

I heard there is a way to create a virtual Oculus Rift for developing, but I don't know how to do it. Do you know how?



No, sorry, the only developing I've done is puberty and X-Ray film.

If you haven't already, you could try asking in the developer's section of this forum ...............

5rs2m1rgloum.jpg
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alright, will go over there. Thanks!