cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use steam vr

jactheboy06
Level 2

I got steam vr but I don’t know how to work it. I tried to boot up one of my games but it just loaded it up on my pc, how do I use steam vr ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think GMod (Garrys Mod?) has native VR support so it won't automatically run in VR. It may be possible to mod VR support in but for your first steps in VR it would be a good idea to start with something that has native VR support, such as Half Life Alyx

Important note - Steam VR only allows Steam VR games to work. It doesn't bring VR support to non-VR games. VorpX is a system that gives VR support to some non-VR games, but it's a bit of a bear to setup and the results, at least in my experience, are patchy.

if you are determined to try to get VR working with GMod, you could start here , but I really wouldn't recommend it until you are a VR and modding veteran

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

PITTCANNA
Level 12

do you have the pc occulus app, you have to enable outside sources.  then either through an oculus virtual desktop or rest the headset on your head launch the steam vr app from your desktop.  Let it load.  if you launched it from the desktop put your headset back on.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpm4yv_ZlYg

Some games require you to select the VR version, either at launch time (DCS World, for example) or in the game properties (Euro Trust Simulator 2 is one). Can you give an example of a game you are trying to play via Steam VR?

I do have the app

Gmod

I don't think GMod (Garrys Mod?) has native VR support so it won't automatically run in VR. It may be possible to mod VR support in but for your first steps in VR it would be a good idea to start with something that has native VR support, such as Half Life Alyx

Important note - Steam VR only allows Steam VR games to work. It doesn't bring VR support to non-VR games. VorpX is a system that gives VR support to some non-VR games, but it's a bit of a bear to setup and the results, at least in my experience, are patchy.

if you are determined to try to get VR working with GMod, you could start here , but I really wouldn't recommend it until you are a VR and modding veteran

View solution in original post