cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge performance issues playing games in SteamVR with Oculus Rift S, please help!

ASchneiderBR
Protege

Hello
everyone. I’m writing this since I have done everything I could to solve this
problem, it has been more than a month now, no luck.

I’m having
massive problems running SteamVR with my Oculus Rift S as well as many friends:
Frame drops, stuttering, FPS cut by half and image ghosting (time warp/motion
smoothing).

The puzzling
part is that my computer resources are never maxed out, usually about 50% of
usage on both CPU and GPU. Here are my PC specs:

l2gpy7tlxuyz.png

This problem
should not happen at all, especially with a RTX 2080ti, I believe.

Here’s a few images of me showing the exact moment it happens playing Pavlov (not a very
intensive game): FPS drops, motion smoothing kicks in, time frames graphs goes
to the roof and still all resources seems to be available for the game
rendering, very strange!

92zegpugwgk6.pngnikq1v5cdiaw.png7zbwxj783o0p.png

Here’s an
image of the FPS count:

ezh1zvrisvd2.jpg

Can
someone here please help me out? This could assist many people that I know as
well.

Please
let me know if more information is needed.

AS A SIDE NOTE: these performance issues also happens when playing at "ground level", randomly and less intensive than the videos shown.
Please let me know if more information is needed.

FULL REDDIT POST: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/fgxe8k/huge_performance_issues_playing_games_in_steamvr/ 

Thank you very much!

22 REPLIES 22

katprater
Honored Guest
Same exact problem I am having ever since v14. This update has taken a major dump on steamvr games. Tested the same exact game through oculus no problems, but when launching steamvr, absolutely unplayable.

ASchneiderBR
Protege

katprater said:

Same exact problem I am having ever since v14. This update has taken a major dump on steamvr games. Tested the same exact game through oculus no problems, but when launching steamvr, absolutely unplayable.

Yes... This is terrible, unplayable, massive reprojection with plenty of headroom. Sounds like Oculus/Facebook is doing something to keep us away from SteamVR and stay at Oculus Store...

SRSBZNZ
Protege

tatunts said:

katprater said:

Yes... This is terrible, unplayable, massive reprojection with plenty of headroom. Sounds like Oculus/Facebook is doing something to keep us away from SteamVR and stay at Oculus Store...

I've had the same feeling. Any game I play through SteamVR or Viveport has horrible performance issues recently. Oculus support isn't helpful when I submit a ticket and everything seems to be ignored with Rift S. 

ASchneiderBR
Protege
Yes. Too bad I still cannot post videos and links here. I've created a comprehensive Reddit post (you can find by searching "Huge performance issues playing games with Oculus Rift S, please help!") with all videos proving this system resources "virtual cap" thing. Very odd.

RobR19
Honored Guest
My performance issues are directly tied to using Rift S Headphones.  Switching to any other audio source resolved the problem.

ASchneiderBR
Protege

RobR19 said:

My performance issues are directly tied to using Rift S Headphones.  Switching to any other audio source resolved the problem.

Hello! This is new for me: do you use external headphones connected to the 3.5mm plug or the built-in one? Thanks. 

Lokertr
Explorer
I have been on VR hiatus a bit. They still have not fixed this? I was noticing it in HL Alyx.

ASchneiderBR
Protege
Hello everyone!

I've manage to do a "small" upgrade on my rig. Changed my mobo, CPU and RAM to a Ryzen 9 3900x, X570 TUF gaming and 32GB of DDR4 3600mhz memory.

Sadly the improvments were below as my expectaions. I've noticed about 30% better performance overall, here are some benchmark results:

09cy72xjwmna.png
ixnencnukhfv.png

VR benchmark:

dh40uzl4rlz7.jpg
8ina3frmal4g.png
So this really makes me believe that those problems are not hardware related but optimization on both sides of Oculus and SteamVR.

So.... Still no solution for this huge jar of pickles.

Thanks

Reinesis
Honored Guest
I fixed mine on CV1 today but disabling High Quality Panel Rendering and anti-aliasing in Oculus settings. Try it out, maybe that's what's causing stuttering in your case as well?

It might be several updates late though, given that I'm basically necroposting at this point. xD

Tyriangod
Honored Guest
Any news about that?