cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having a horrible time with my headset, please someone help.

Daphic
Sightseer
Hey there. I’m fairly new to PC gaming and having Oculus, so I’m going to try my best to explain the things I’ve been experiencing so far. From what I remember, for the first week or so of oculus I had great performance with everything being very smooth and no signs of lag, but that’s changed a bit since then.

(https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nvtMFt) This is my rig. Except from instead of using a 1070 I’m using a 1070 mini.

Here’s basically all of the problems I’ve faced:

- “Dragging frames” this is the only word I can use to describe this problem and happens mostly when I’m turning using the in game turn. It basically looks like when I’m turning some frames are distorting and catching up with the other ones. To replicate what it looks like when it happens, I can only say it looks like a parts of the screen are trying to catch up to each other and is terrible. I’ve seen it in rec room, blade and sorcery, onward, pokerstars even oculus home.

- Bad frames in general. Even at the oculus home where things used to be the smoothest for me I’ve been having a few frame drops a lot. Even in games in rec room jumping can cause jitteriness.

- “screen Frames” this is another one that happens sometimes but is the rarest to come across. It looks like this . Basically it’s as if the surroundings become a still screen and I can look around seeing blackness.

I’m hoping there’s a solution to this or I can find the problem on my end. I would not be surprised if there’s a chance I’ve messed something up in the process of setting the pc up but so far everything looks good on my end. Hope someone can help ? I have uninstalled drivers, DDU’d my drivers, unplugged and replugged wires in the computer. I’m get to get any help on this issue and am hoping someone can please help me out with this, it’s really not been one bit fun for me yet.

When I did my VR performance test on steam (https://imgur.com/a/BWTaZ4B) I was told it would be perfect for VR, but any game I run seems to disagree with that statement, and the test still gives those exact results.
15 REPLIES 15

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Does this occur in all games and Oculus Home? Have you made sure the steam super sampling slider is set correctly, it's in the VR setting in steam. Are you using any Oculus super sampling? Checked for overheating? Tried a different graphics card driver? Did this happen after an update or any change to your computer?

Daphic
Sightseer

RedRizla said:

Does this occur in all games and Oculus Home? Have you made sure the steam super sampling slider is set correctly, it's in the VR setting in steam. Are you using any Oculus super sampling? Checked for overheating? Tried a different graphics card driver? Did this happen after an update or any change to your computer?

It happens on all of my oculus game and I’ve never recalled tampering with any supersaming settings (or how to access that on oculus). Yet to check on overheating. It's honesttly been like this the whole time.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Could be (but no limited to);
  • display driver issue
  • settings issue (more supersampling/antialiasing etc what gpu can handle)
  • heat issues (dust/faulty temp sensor/broken fan) -> gpu throttles down
  • some malware on computer which eats your resources
  • hardware issues on computer (greater change if is new and untested)
  • usb issue (drivers/ports)
  • power supply (that 550w bronze power supply is something I would not put to my computer)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
+1 on the psu, a 650w or higher I would recommend.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Also if you want to ensure your overall system stability, you can also run some performance tests starting from furmark.

Fangzhou
Adventurer
For “Strange frame when turning head”: possible because of ASW, it’s a technology to ensure smooth displays (80fps in Rift S, 90fps in Rift) when the game actually cannot reach the best framerate(80/90fps). In SteamVR, it’s called ARP. If your in-game framerate is 40fps/45fps but looks like smooth, it means ASW/ARP is working. ASW/ARP sometimes causing frame strange though..ASW 2.0 is much better, but not all games support it. 

And for me usually letting ASW on is better.

For “lost frame” and “jittering when jumping”, it’s because of Rift S cannot track (or maybe predict) sudden movement properly. Rift S performs bad in tap test (tap the HMD, and you can see the image is shaking. This is not happening in OG Rift CV1). I heard that Oculus is using machine learning to predict user movement to achieve low latency, for now looks like the “machine” is not learnt enough to handle sudden movement.  
Oculus is improving the tracking, but at least for now it is bad. I dance in VRChat a lot so this problem is quite annoying for me. 

Daphic
Sightseer

sraura said:

Could be (but no limited to);
  • display driver issue
  • settings issue (more supersampling/antialiasing etc what gpu can handle)
  • heat issues (dust/faulty temp sensor/broken fan) -> gpu throttles down
  • some malware on computer which eats your resources
  • hardware issues on computer (greater change if is new and untested)
  • usb issue (drivers/ports)
  • power supply (that 550w bronze power supply is something I would not put to my computer)

Thank you so so much for that response, it is very very helpful.
Wow, that is insane, I had zero idea my power supply isn’t that recommended. Should I prioritise getting it upgrade and if so to what? And could this possibly be the problem if it is not good enough?
I don’t believe it could be a malware issue as I have hardly installed much on the computer yet.
When checking my GPU’s heat it is stabled at 70 degrees
I don’t think it could be anything with settings as I have also not super sampled or anything like that before.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
My main bet was on display driver issue or heat issue. If you updated
that Nvidia driver already and it didn't help... this may take some
effort to solve.
GPU's heat is ok at 70... it is bit high for my personal taste, but well withing safe operational range.
I don't really believe that the power supply is causing your current issue, but you may end up having to replace that sooner than you might want to. Only real reason why I put it to the list was that you said "I had great performance with everything being very smooth but then...". Could be early sign that it is going to pop or that it is operating on range where it can barely keep up. Also at least couple people have had black screens with rift s which has been fixed by new psu. They've used 550W psu (quality and age unknown). Also when you operate your PSU on it's limits, it produces more heat and will reach the end of it's lifespan much faster. While they start to go, they tend to lose their performance before they totally give up.
Anyways more things to try;
  • Updating all device drivers to your motherboard from asus support site. Including possible driver to your onboard graphics chip (even that is not directly related to Nvidia GPU or Rift).
  • Uninstalling or shutting down all non essential software what you may have running in background.
  • Checking how much free physical memory your computer has available while you play. If that is running out and computer starts to swap to harddisk or ssd, that might cause serious slowdowns.
  • While in VR, jiggling the cable with your hand and seeing if that causes any issues... Specially at the section where cable connects to the HMD.

Daphic
Sightseer

sraura said:

My main bet was on display driver issue or heat issue. If you updated
that Nvidia driver already and it didn't help... this may take some
effort to solve.
GPU's heat is ok at 70... it is bit high for my personal taste, but well withing safe operational range.
I don't really believe that the power supply is causing your current issue, but you may end up having to replace that sooner than you might want to. Only real reason why I put it to the list was that you said "I had great performance with everything being very smooth but then...". Could be early sign that it is going to pop or that it is operating on range where it can barely keep up. Also at least couple people have had black screens with rift s which has been fixed by new psu. They've used 550W psu (quality and age unknown). Also when you operate your PSU on it's limits, it produces more heat and will reach the end of it's lifespan much faster. While they start to go, they tend to lose their performance before they totally give up.
Anyways more things to try;
  • Updating all device drivers to your motherboard from asus support site. Including possible driver to your onboard graphics chip (even that is not directly related to Nvidia GPU or Rift).
  • Uninstalling or shutting down all non essential software what you may have running in background.
  • Checking how much free physical memory your computer has available while you play. If that is running out and computer starts to swap to harddisk or ssd, that might cause serious slowdowns.
  • While in VR, jiggling the cable with your hand and seeing if that causes any issues... Specially at the section where cable connects to the HMD.

Bummer, was hoping the power upgrade would be the only solution. Here some answers and notes.
 - Jiggled the cable near the headset and other parts in different games, didn’t notice anything 
- SSD storage is actually really quite low 
- I usually (have to) close everything in backgrounds to try and see if performance changes, be it discord or other stuff and usually it does not make much of a difference.
- To be 100% honest I actually never downloaded my motherboard drivers mostly because everyone was telling me it wasn’t important. Is it a priority?

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?