cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just bought a Lenovo Y720 laptop and guess what...

Anonymous
Not applicable
The rift is acting the exact same way on my laptop as on my PC. This angers me because support has been saying it was my rig, but no it isn’t and this proves it.  I’ve also made sure to update all sensors and changed all of my nvidia settings to match what they should be. No bloatware enabled. This proves something needs to be fixed in the software. I tried with both of my Rifts as well.

All of the performance problems I had with the Rift on my PC are the same as on my new laptop after updating so how can they explain that???
25 REPLIES 25

Couldn't find the full specs on the Lenovo website...

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Neokin said:

This laptop is still not "Oculus Ready" (see https://www.oculus.com/oculus-ready-pcs/). VR Ready doesn't mean anything.

Sorry, but as they say, you need to use a compatible desktop computer. Or an "Oculus Ready" laptop, laptops have always been difficult.

Yep. When I read the title of the thread I already knew the end result.

Taking the Rift from a Desktop that may be Oculus Ready to a Laptop that is definitely not Oculus Ready isn't going to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
How is it not oculus ready??? Did you see the specs? I ran the compatibility tool and it gives me a check plus for everything well above what is required. I’ve also talked to others that use the rift with this with no problems. Also when I first booted it out of the box it was just as smooth as my PC in most games on the Rift when my PC ran correctly. For you to say it’s absolutely not compatible is not true. Something when updating screwed it up and has nothing to do with the hardware. You’re wrong I’m sorry.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@cybereality can you give some inside on weather or not this is compatible with the Rift? I’m getting mixed opinions here.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The Oculus Ready program means that specific computers are tested and confirmed to be working by Oculus. Just meeting the hardware requirements does not make a computer "Oculus Ready" and many companies label their products as "VR Ready" which is mostly a marketing term and not the same as "Oculus Ready." 
https://www.oculus.com/oculus-ready-pcs/

Unfortunately, with laptops in particular, simply having a compatible CPU and GPU does mean Rift will work on the system. This is because laptops are often built in a proprietary nature, with things like Optimus or unique wiring on the video ports, meaning that it may not be possible to support VR, or that there may be performance or compatibility issues.

One thing you can try is using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to connect Rift rather than on HDMI. This may or may not work, but it's probably worth a shot. Something like this maybe:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-ThunderboltTM-Compatible/dp/B00K0UDJFI/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well shit... I feel like this should be conveyed a little better in the verbiage of what is or isn’t compatible to be honest. I appreciate this  insight about this and I can still return this and the WMR headset to get something more suitable I guess. Customers who bought it said it work good with the Rift so I’m confused. I bought a thunderbolt 3 to usb 3.0 hub that I heard works with the rift and is arriving Tuesday. I guess I’ll try that and if no improvement I’ll return.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Pabbert! I’ll order that if this doesn’t fix my issues. Much appreciated!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
The whole reason why I’m trying to get a laptop that’ll work with the rift is that I have 2 Rifts, 2 pairs of touch, and 5 sensors. Trying to get some multiplayer action going.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Once I get my pc back anyway.

windyweekend
Honored Guest
I may be a bit late to this discussion unfortunately (I hope you've actually got this resolved by now), but I recently purchased a Y720 and an Oculus and have had zero problems with either of them (other than the odd blackscreen during bootup bug, which eventually goes). When choosing the laptop, which I actually did because of the awesome Dolby Atmos, I did a lot of research though. I definitely read multiple threads out there on one dicey bios update and one graphics card update that weren't too healthy, with many folks having to back out their graphics card drivers to older ones. It looks like I caught mine after they fixed this, but you may have been one of the unlucky ones in that unfortunate bad release window. May sound like a dim idea now, but have you tried updating the drivers and bios to the latest updates as they stand now, since they've fixed them? 

For what its worth, Oculus Ready does mean an extra 100+hrs of Rift testing on that specific hw/os configuration, and the set up is supposed to be quicker. Again, hate to have to say this, but my Rift set up was super smooth, flawless, worked first time, and looked like a pretty robust, well tested process. So sorry to hear you've had issues with this. Let me know if there's any settings you'd like me to check to see if we have any config variances that might explain what you've been suffering from.