cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It says my GPU drivers need an update even though it's up to date? HELP ME

sonnylee2006
Explorer
When I load up the oculus app a red bar appears at the top of the program and says oculus has detected a problem with your graphics drivers. I clicked on it and it says my graphics card drivers need and update. I went on to nvidia experience to look and see if I had to update my drivers but it says I have got the latest drivers installed (GeForce game ready driver 418.91). Oculus said to reinstall the drivers but I did that at least 3 times now and the same error message pops up in the oculus app saying there is a problem detected with your drivers. Can someone please give me a solution to this problem so I can actually play VR again.
22 REPLIES 22

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

When I load up the oculus app a red bar appears at the top of the program and says oculus has detected a problem with your graphics drivers. I clicked on it and it says my graphics card drivers need and update. I went on to nvidia experience to look and see if I had to update my drivers but it says I have got the latest drivers installed (GeForce game ready driver 418.91). Oculus said to reinstall the drivers but I did that at least 3 times now and the same error message pops up in the oculus app saying there is a problem detected with your drivers. Can someone please give me a solution to this problem so I can actually play VR again.

Hey sonnylee2006,
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your graphic drivers.
Do you have integrated graphics on your system as well? If so, please
make sure those are updated as well. Are you completely uninstalling
the Nvidia driver through Windows Apps and Features before
reinstalling? There may be left over bits from older drivers if you
don't remove it through Apps and Features. Please create a support
ticket at https://support.oculus.com
if you need more help. Thanks! -Rick

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

sonnylee2006
Explorer

Hey sonnylee2006,
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your graphic drivers.
Do you have integrated graphics on your system as well? If so, please
make sure those are updated as well. Are you completely uninstalling
the Nvidia driver through Windows Apps and Features before
reinstalling? There may be left over bits from older drivers if you
don't remove it through Apps and Features. Please create a support
ticket at https://support.oculus.com
if you need more help. Thanks! -Rick

Can please me what you mean by 'Windows apps and Features' so I can try uninstall the drivers off of that as well as Nvidia experience. I do also have integrated graphics in my pc (Radeon R7 graphics) and when I go onto Device manager and check the drivers it says they are up to date drivers. So I don't know about that. The exact thing it says on the oculus app is in a red bar at the top of the program that says 'Oculus has detected a problem with your graphics drivers. Learn More.' and then when I click learn more it says ' Oculus has detected a problem with the Installation of the drivers for your Nvidia GeForce gtx 1060 6gb. Reinstalling your graphics cards drivers may fix the problem'. 

Thanks, please get back to me as soon as possible. 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey sonnylee2006, thanks for clarifyig that for me. Your integrated graphics aren't likely to be the issue. Please try uninstalling the Nvidia drivers as I suggested and install the latest Nvidia drivers again. If you're still having issues, please make sure that you create a support ticket so we can investigate this further for you. Thanks! -Rick
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sonny, you are best to uninstall your nvidia drivers using DDU in safe mode.  Google this find the free app and how to use it. Also I would avoid the 418xx drivers for now.  Many of us including myself are using 417.35 no problems.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

sonnylee2006
Explorer
@TomCgcmfc

could you please tell me how I can do the unistalling of my nvidia drivers on DDU safe mode. Or just tell me what to look up on google.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html if you haven't got it yet and = https://youtu.be/ZxiLwLCxmkk

That vid should help you and this one if you want to go into safe mode = https://youtu.be/xDEfXSwbYYU
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@TomCgcmfc

could you please tell me how I can do the unistalling of my nvidia drivers on DDU safe mode. Or just tell me what to look up on google.

Just google Display Driver Uninstaller.  You will find lots of sites where you can download DDU like this one for example;

https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17830/

If you add Tutorials to this you will get instructions.  Likewise go to youtube and search for DDU Tutorial Nvidia and you will see lots of YT vids to walk you through this.  Like this one from Nvidia for example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5MFnL4wQ4

Main thing to note is that you should run DDU in Windows Safe mode.  If you do not know how to do this google Starting up Windows 10 in Safe Mode.

Good luck.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

sonnylee2006
Explorer
@TomCgcmfc 

Ok I will try that. Thank you so much for the help.

sonnylee2006
Explorer
@TomCgcmfc 

I tried everything you said step by step. I went into safe mode on windows. Then I removed all drivers. I then came out of safe mode and went onto nvidia experience. I downloaded drivers version 418.91 (latest nvidia driver) and when I go on oculus it still says there is something wrong with my driver. So I'm actually stuck at this point... I also did try running it on the driver you suggested to use which was driver version 417.35 and still brought up an error message and didn't allow me to setup my headset or start an app still.