cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known Issue - Controllers causing main menu to freeze while connected to wifi

Lem0ns
Explorer

Yesterday the controllers did a firmware update and then the menu screen started freezing every few seconds.

It will work fine for 2-5 seconds and then freeze for a few seconds. Downloads keep going etc. but both controllers freeze and the screen freezes on whatever I was looking at. When I move my head i can see the black void around the screen until it updates and things work again for a few seconds.

support said to reboot.

no fix.

said to re-pair remotes

no fix.

said to factory reset

no fix. 

The problem goes away when I disable wifi. Everything also works fine in an app. I've tried many different wifi hotspots. As soon as there's a wifi connection it starts freezing up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WootM4ge
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hello everyone! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We are aware this is an emerging issue and we have notified our engineering team to document these cases. We encourage everyone to document their experiences here, so the engineering team has data to reference. We'll be posting updates as we get them. Thanks for everyone's patience while we work towards a solution! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out!

"They say that the best blaze burns the brightest when circumstances are at their worst."

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! We're sorry to hear you're having this issue after your controllers had a firmware update. We understand the suggestions you've received so far have not yielded the solution to this issue. We would like to offer a few more suggestions to try so you can have the Wi-Fi connected while you're playing with no issues.

If you haven't done so already, please try removing the batteries for at least 30 minutes. While the batteries are out, restart your router since the issue seems to happen when Wi-Fi is connected. After 30 minutes have passed, please re-insert the batteries and re-pair your controllers with your headset connected to Wi-Fi.

If this suggestion does not help, please send in a bug report for this issue. If you need the steps to do so, you can find them in this public support article.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Lem0ns
Explorer

I'm attempting the 30 minute battery suggestion.

I have tried other wifi hotspots and reset the router. It doesn't appear to be related to the quality of the wifi signal. For instance, when I download an app, the % complete continues to update even when the controllers and screen freeze up. Also, the problem goes away in apps. So it doesn't appear to be the controllers that are the issue.

I un-paired the controllers and the freezing still happens when I navigate the menus using head tracking and the volume button.
I wish there was a way to roll back / refresh firmware. 

Lem0ns
Explorer

Battery removal did nothing. 

Lem0ns
Explorer

The problem is definitely something WiFi related. This is all after a factory reset.

• I have tried with 6 different wifi configurations. Main router with 2.4 and 5ghz. Cell phone hotspot, both sharing the house wifi and sharing the data connection on both 2.4 and 5ghz. Also using a laptop as a hotspot in both 2.4 and 5ghz settings. 
  • When connected to any of the above configurations, the screen and controllers freeze every few seconds in the main menu only. All apps work fine.
  • I removed all of the saved networks and connected to the home WiFi in 5ghz mode and everything worked!
  • I changed to 2.4ghz and it still worked.
  • I changed to my phone hotspot and it worked!
  • I opened an app (firefox) and browsed a few pages and things were fine.
  • on returning to the menu the freeze started happening again every few seconds.
  • I switched to a different hotspot and it still kept freezing.
  • I removed all of the saved networks again and re-connected and it went back to working!
  • I entered an app and then exited and it went back to freezing.
  • If I turn wifi off completely it will never freeze.

Any new suggestions or should I return the unit?

hello, i have the same problem for 2 weeks now, hopefully it can be fixed, i dread navigating the menu screen necquse of it. 

I am also having this problem since the recent update.  This is now a useless piece of technology and I'm pretty tired of it.  I see no one from support has responded in 3 weeks to this thread and it seems everyone is just stuck with this POS.   Can someone fix this?  between games and the device itself it is over 1000.00 .... and NO ONE seems to want to fix it.

Tret6ru
Explorer

I have same problem. Try factory reset. Everything works. If I reboot controller, then again freeze.

I bought the controller yesterday and haven't normally got it working yet. Very bad

Tret6ru
Explorer

I tried to disconnect the wifi and immediately the freeze problem disappeared. But without wifi there is no point.

WootM4ge
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hello everyone! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We are aware this is an emerging issue and we have notified our engineering team to document these cases. We encourage everyone to document their experiences here, so the engineering team has data to reference. We'll be posting updates as we get them. Thanks for everyone's patience while we work towards a solution! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out!

"They say that the best blaze burns the brightest when circumstances are at their worst."