cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of image quality??

Scottbrady86
Level 2
I bought an Oculus Rift yesterday for 400 dollars at my local best buy. I got it home, set it all up and was initially impressed. However, after about 45 minutes, I quickly became distracted by the absurd amounts of chromatic abberation and other image quality issues. So I set my steam VR to run Project Cars 2 at 180% resolution supersampling. It barley looks any better than it did before, but is presumably far more taxing on my hardware. My hardware isn't the issue, as I have the latest generation flagship GPU, and a 7700K. I can't imagine there are many other people in the world who can power a Rift much better than I can. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm just trying to say, I'm doing my part. What I'm trying to say is , I cannot stop being distracted by how blurry and horrible everything looks. The entire time I'm racing I just keep looking around wishing everything looked half way decent. Everything is blurry and hard to read. I've adjusted the lenses probably a million times in the last 24 hours hoping that one of the times I adjust them things are magically going to look clear. I'm pretty much ready to give up and just return the damn thing before it's too late. The reason I'm writing this is to figure out whether or not I'm going to return it for a refund, or exchange it for a new one. It's possible there might be something wrong with the lenses on my unit. If I shine a light at the lenses, I can see that there appears to be some variation in the lines that circle around the lenses. Almost like there's liquid or oil or something on the edges. I'm hoping some people can either confirm this as being common, or not.  

If this is the current state of VR, it's no wonder it's not taking off. This is pathetic. I mean, I'm appreciative of the guys doing the hard work in the field , but come on. How do you expect people to go from 4K 2d, back into a time capsule a decade to resolutions that make me feel like I have a vision ailment. I'm just confused as to why people are keeping these things as it only took me 45 minutes to realize how horrible the image quality was.
16 REPLIES 16

edmg
Level 10
The Rift is, what, a 2015 design built to work with 2015 GPUs? You can't really expect it to have 4k resolution.

So, yes, you lose a lot of resolution, but you gain... 3D. I never played racing games much on my monitor, but they're one of the best uses of the Rift. There's no way I'd go back to a flat screen and lose an entire dimension.

As for chromatic aberration, you should only really be seeing it around the edges of the field of view.

Scottbrady86
Level 2

edmg said:

The Rift is, what, a 2015 design built to work with 2015 GPUs? You can't really expect it to have 4k resolution.

So, yes, you lose a lot of resolution, but you gain... 3D. I never played racing games much on my monitor, but they're one of the best uses of the Rift. There's no way I'd go back to a flat screen and lose an entire dimension.

As for chromatic aberration, you should only really be seeing it around the edges of the field of view.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting 4K resolution. There's still nothing on the market that's going to drive 4k at 90hz without some graphic compromise. Not even a 1080ti. However, I was expecting more than this. I mean, how about something that looks as clear as a 1080p display at 24 inches?  I don't know. But I do know that I spend 80 to 90% of my time in VR wishing it looked better. That's way too much distraction for me. I haven't finished a lap around Nurburgring once since I've used VR because I'm too distracted with the blur. That's never been an issue before now. I don't feel like I'm gaining anything. What resolution displays do you have besides the VR if you don't mind me asking?

Here's the other thing..... When I record videos of my VR experience, it actually looks better on my monitor during playback than it does through the headset. That's not supposed to be a thing........ It's just blurry through the headset. Those lenses are not cutting it. I get lots of glare as well. Whenever there's a dark scene with small bits of light, I get tons of glare in the lenses and it looks awful. Besides DEAD CENTER of the lenses, text and other things have a sort of "splat" like appearance from the chromatic abberation. Like spikes sticking out of letters from the smear.

If it were ONLY a loss of resolution, there would be 0 issue. But it's a loss of resolution with a total distortion of image quality around 90% of the field. Yes, dead center things look "clear". My eyes see a lot more than the center.  Maybe everybody just has really bad eyes and doesn't see it. Or, my unit is defective. Or, the bar has been set really really low and I'm a spoiled brat.

edmg
Level 10

Yes, dead center things look "clear". My eyes see a lot more than the center.  Maybe everybody just has really bad eyes and doesn't see it. Or, my unit is defective. Or, the bar has been set really really low and I'm a spoiled brat. 

Are you sure you don't have a Vive? One of the biggest reasons I put my Vive in the closet after I got my Rift was because almost the entire field of view in the Rift was clear while everything but the centre was a blurry mess in the Vive.

TwoHedWlf
Level 11

I mean, how about something that looks as clear as a 1080p display at 24 inches?  

So, basically you want the same pixels per degree as a 1080p screen 24 inches away? 
Assuming I'm plugging numbers into the PPD calculator right

At 1920X1080 and Let's say it's a 19" screen. that's about 48 PPD horizontal  and a field of view of 38°  And 2.1 megapixels.

Rift (Single eye) is 1080X1200 at about 110° FOV.  That gives you about 7 PPD

A 4k screen would get 24 PPD

To give you the same 48 PPD you need 7 times the horizontal pixels and a resolution of 7560X8400.  Times two, for both eyes.  That's 127 megapixels. 4k is a bit over 8 megapixels.  So you need a PC 60 times as powerful as the one running the 1080p screen, or 15 times as powerful as the one running 4K, which as you say there is none able to run that at 90hz without some compromizes.  

Of course, I think I'd be quite happy with making a lot of compromises for running 4K screens.  The games might look like this...But...Well, it was still a badass game.

Scottbrady86
Level 2

TwoHedWlf said:

I mean, how about something that looks as clear as a 1080p display at 24 inches?  

So, basically you want the same pixels per degree as a 1080p screen 24 inches away? 
Assuming I'm plugging numbers into the PPD calculator right

At 1920X1080 and Let's say it's a 19" screen. that's about 48 PPD horizontal  and a field of view of 38°  And 2.1 megapixels.

Rift (Single eye) is 1080X1200 at about 110° FOV.  That gives you about 7 PPD

A 4k screen would get 24 PPD

To give you the same 48 PPD you need 7 times the horizontal pixels and a resolution of 7560X8400.  Times two, for both eyes.  That's 127 megapixels. 4k is a bit over 8 megapixels.  So you need a PC 60 times as powerful as the one running the 1080p screen, or 15 times as powerful as the one running 4K, which as you say there is none able to run that at 90hz without some compromizes.  

Of course, I think I'd be quite happy with making a lot of compromises for running 4K screens.  The games might look like this...But...Well, it was still a badass game.

Okay so nobody has a 17 inch 1080p display besides laptop users. That's probably more pixels per inch than the average 4k display because most people have 30+ inch 4k displays. I said 1080p at 24 inches. It's like 105 pixels per inch about. I have no idea, but as I said before, it's not just a resolution issue. This thing is blurry as @#$#. I feel like I'm blind. And it's the headset, not the resolution. All of my shadowplay recordings from VR look amazing on my 2d display. In the googles it looks blurry with a weird chromatic abberation affect on everything. There is no way I can adjust the lenses to remove it. I've tried..... hundreds of times. I have to do the green line adjustment every hour because I can't stop moving the lens slider. It's always blurry. That's what I've been trying to say..... if it were just the resolution I'd be fine. It's everything else that makes the image quality look bad. The edges of the screen are AWFUL, If I want to read anything with text, it has to be dead center of the screen. If it's even slightly to the side, it's just blur.

Scottbrady86
Level 2

edmg said:

Yes, dead center things look "clear". My eyes see a lot more than the center.  Maybe everybody just has really bad eyes and doesn't see it. Or, my unit is defective. Or, the bar has been set really really low and I'm a spoiled brat. 

Are you sure you don't have a Vive? One of the biggest reasons I put my Vive in the closet after I got my Rift was because almost the entire field of view in the Rift was clear while everything but the centre was a blurry mess in the Vive.

Um no, I have an Oculus Rift. And it's hideous. After speaking with some people who play sim racing games in VR, they've basically told me this is what it is. And that it's going to take me weeks to get used to the reduction of image quality. Yeah, not doing that. I'll have my 400 dollars back.

And also, if this is how dramatic the image quality loss is, Oculus Rift should be more candid about this while selling it.... It's not just a reduction of resolution. They need to be more clear about image quality so that people aren't wasting their time buying these things, only to find out, you can't even read text with one. I can't even read the spedometer in project cars 2 because the numbers are blurred out (even though I can read it just fine in my recording playback on my monitor). That hasn't been a problem since the invention of LCD displays. The goggles are bad.  I'm not even mad about the quality of the product..... I'm mad that I had to buy it to find out. And that's not good for Oculus. Wanna sell me a 2.0 version when they actually look decent? Well now I'm going to be hesitant. They need to be straightforward with consumers.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Chromatic aberration is not normal on the CV1. You might get a little bit if you look hard, but the CV1 has compensation for it in the distortion post process step. If you are seeing lots of it, something is wrong.

However, I was expecting more than this. I mean, how about something that looks as clear as a 1080p display at 24 inches? 

The rift has 1080x1200 per eye. But that is spread over a much larger field of view than a monitor. It's like putting your face up against a tv, it fills more of your view but doesn't look as high res as the same tv in the distance. To match the resolution of a 1080p monitor with the current rift displays, you'd have to have a tiny field of view, like 40 degrees, or much higher resolution (over 4k).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Scottbrady86
Level 2

kojack said:

Chromatic aberration is not normal on the CV1. You might get a little bit if you look hard, but the CV1 has compensation for it in the distortion post process step. If you are seeing lots of it, something is wrong.

However, I was expecting more than this. I mean, how about something that looks as clear as a 1080p display at 24 inches? 

The rift has 1080x1200 per eye. But that is spread over a much larger field of view than a monitor. It's like putting your face up against a tv, it fills more of your view but doesn't look as high res as the same tv in the distance. To match the resolution of a 1080p monitor with the current rift displays, you'd have to have a tiny field of view, like 40 degrees, or much higher resolution (over 4k).

Exactly, which is why they need to say this before consumers buy them. It's something people need to know. If you're going to sell a VR headset that's going to set image quality back 20 years, you might want to tell somebody before they spend 400 dollars. I mean, that's just a thought. Especially if you want to sell me another version later on down the line.  But again, I'll say this for the 9th time because people keep focusing on the resolution, the resolution is the least of my concern. It's all of the other issues associated with VR goggles. The chromatic abberation, the halo glow around text, the blurry lines. etc.

edmg
Level 10

But again, I'll say this for the 9th time because people keep focusing on the resolution, the resolution is the least of my concern. It's all of the other issues associated with VR goggles. The chromatic abberation, the halo glow around text, the blurry lines. etc. 

Which is why we think you've got a defective headset. Aside from the occasional god-rays, we don't get those.