Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left controller

Dudebro3
Honored Guest

Its mover backwards by its self

12 REPLIES 12

2 options:

1. There are now controller calibration options in the settings menus, recalibrate the stick, it will happen again though.

2. Failing that and assuming you are out of warranty, look for "Quest 2 Controller Teardown" online, you want to remove the black plastic disk, pull the joystick cap off and then spray switch / electrical contact cleaner into the stick and wiggle it round for a minute, leave to dry for an hour then reassemble, your problem will be fixed.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Dudebro3! We noticed you were having a bit of trouble with your Left Controller joystick drifting and we'd love to help out! 

graeme467 did have some fantastic input about the calibration of the joystick dead zones as those are a beautiful recent addition for this issue. As for the cleaning steps, if you are within warranty, the only cleaning steps we could recommend would be found in the link here. Any steps taken that are not recommended would, by default, void your warranty in its entirety. We would advise to hold off on that for now. 

If the recalibration doesn't seem to help. We advise you try out the following steps right below:

• Remove the battery for roughly 20-30 minutes then replace with new or known working ones.
  • Unpair and re-pair your controllers. For steps on doing so, please click here.
  • When powering on your controllers, ensure that the Analog sticks aren't being held in any direction and are at rest in the neutral position.

If none of those seem to fix the drift, don't hesitate to reach out to use here for some further assistance! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thank you bro, I was also having the same problem and it fixed, thank you!

Hi @JuniorDaPro! We're so glad your controller is back to working order. If you ever need help from us, reach out in our PMs and we'll be there. Happy gaming!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I just got the Quest 2 a few weeks ago. I'm having this same issue with the left controller thumb part going down by itself. I've replaced the battery and rebooted the headset. Spraying air in/around it worked for a few minutes. Given that these responses are from June last year, are these recommendations still the same? When I attempt to reach out at the provided link, the specific problem isn't one of the options. I've had the Quest 2 for less than a month so I am likely still within warranty.

Drift issues can definitely be bothersome @Barnettclan, but we'll be sure to assist as much as possible! Please make sure to power-cycle your headset and re-install the mobile application, if the issue continues please follow the steps below.

Please try the following:

• Remove the batteries for a minute before attempting to use them again
  • Adjust joystick deadzone until the drift is no longer an issue/noticeable 
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Go to Controller Settings
    3. Under Joystick Deadzone and Range, select the joystick which is having issue
    4. Follow on-screen instructions to recalibrate the joysticks deadzones
  • When powering on your controllers, ensure that the Analog sticks aren't being held in any direction and are at rest in the neutral position

If you continue to have drift issues after, we may need to look into further possibilities and troubleshooting. Please Submit a Ticket with us and we'll be able to assist further within that platform!

By power-cycle do you mean to reboot? I reinstalled the app and took out the battery from the controller and will wait a while before trying them again. I did try the deadzone trick but without touching the joystick it goes all the way to the bottom. If I make that a deadzone, will I be able to scroll down or move backwards in a game? 

Hey there @Barnettclan! Thanks for reaching back out. If you're still having issues after trying out the steps listed above we recommend reaching out to to our wonderful support team! Our email, chat and phone support team has access to more tools that will allow them to assist you further. Thanks!

I would like to contact the support team but the website only provides three options for the thumbstick. My issue is drifting. The options are that the thumbrest is "unable to detect finger," is damaged, or is unresponsive. I selected damage as the closest possibility. The only suggestion was a recommended replacement. So I selected that. It says there are no eligible replacements. It doesn't accept any of the numbers on the controller for the serial number. I used every number in the battery compartment. The only opportunity I saw to talk to someone in a support team is on here with you. What am I missing?