cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone Echo, Echo VR, and Quill all will not start

douglas_schonho
Sightseer
Hi there,

I got my Oculus last week and excitedly bought a few games. But now half of the games in my library won't even start. (Although superhot, Marvel Powers united, Dead and buried and Robo Recall all work fine)

I looked around on some support blogs and didn't see anything that seemed like it would be immediately helpful so I downloaded my logs into a zip file and have attached them here. I scrolled through them and didn't know what I was looking at so I'm posting here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

intel i5-7600k processor
GeForce 1060 6 Gb
Driver Version 411.63 (Just upgraded from 388.13)

Thanks,
Douglas
10 REPLIES 10

CrashFu
Consultant
What exactly happens when you attempt to launch the games?   

(I probably won't know how to fix it, but that information might help others find a solution)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

douglas_schonho
Sightseer
For sure I can do that:
I get two separate versions of what appears to be the same error. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which version of the error I get. 

For the first one:
I get the white screen you get when an app starts up. It says that the app is taking a while and if the issue persists then take off the headset yadayadayadayada and it goes nonresponsive. I've let it sit in that state for 10-15 minutes with nothing happening. Then I force close whichever game I'm trying to run.

In the second version of the error:
I pretty much immediately get the bugsplat screen that says it crashed and to send in the error report. So as soon as I try to open the app I get maybe as much as 2-3 seconds of white, non-responsive screen before bugsplat rushes in.

One other issue I'm having that I'm guessing is unrelated and that I can figure out how to solve on my own time is the fact that my machine won't power down unless I hold the power button down now. This looks like it is a known issue with ASRock motherboards and the rift though so I'm guessing it is unrelated and if it really starts to bother me I think I can go fix it. If other people are interested in that, I can link a few of the other threads talking about that that I was reading last night. I'm just throwing it in here on the off chance it might be related.

douglas_schonho
Sightseer
Ah I edited my post too many times and now it is waiting to be approved. But the gist of it is.
I either get a white screen that becomes completely nonresponsive and says that the app is taking longer than expected take the headset off if needed and it seems to be happy to stay like that forever or I get an immediate bugsplat error report

cybereality
Grand Champion
Could be an anti-virus issue. Can you temporarily disable anti-virus? BullGuard in particular needs to be uninstalled.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

douglas_schonho
Sightseer
Because I make poor life choices I actually only have Windows defender installed on this machine and I already turned it off and disabled my firewall. So I don't think that's it.

douglas_schonho
Sightseer
Is there any other information I could give you to help narrow this down? I'm happy to do whatever to help solve the issue I just don't know what I'm doing.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I see this error, which looks suspect:
Your PC is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. For the best experience, get the latest drivers from Windows Update or from your hardware manufacturer's website. For more information search for 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' 
Are you sure the Nvidia driver was installed correctly? Can you try DDU uninstall and reinstall latest Nvidia driver? Also, is this a laptop? If so, can you make sure you are not using Intel integrated graphics?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

douglas_schonho
Sightseer
This is a desktop and I updated the driver to the 411.63 version noted above. The only item of note in terms of weird graphics configurations was that I wasn't getting any graphics output from my motherboard to my normal display so I had to go into bios to enable it and the rift is plugged directly into my graphics card, the nvidia 1060. Maybe I accidentally touched something else in Bios but I don't think so?

On another note, I just installed ddu and booted into safe mode to do the graphics driver uninstall. Unfortunately, my password didn't work in safe mode and I can't log in which apparently is a known issue with windows 10 if you aren't careful about your admin passwords. So now I've ordered a couple usb's I'm going to have to download windows 10 onto them, and then boot off those as install media for the sake of repairing my now more broken pc. 

I'll let you know when I manage to get through all of that garbage. Sorry for the tangent and thanks for the help so far!

cybereality
Grand Champion
You cannot have anything connected to the motherboard video port, and should probably leave it disabled if that is a BIOS option. Rift and ALL monitors/tvs/etc. must be on the Nvidia card.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?