cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta/Oculus Link problem

gusz
Level 2

I'm using a Windows 11 PC which has the following: Gigabyte Z690i Ultra mini-itx mobo,
Intel i7-12700 CPU, 16GB DDR5 Ram, SK hynix 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, and Gigabyte PCie 4.0 AMD RX 6400 low profile graphics card; all with a Quest 2 VR headset. All these components are on the Oculus Link "supported" list, but when I try to connect with my Oculus Link cable, it seems to connect, I get the "share files" message which I allow, but the headset is detected as a Rift (which it is not), I click Launch, and ...... black screen on headset. Separately, I'm getting the message "your pc does not meet the minimum requirements".

Questions:

-Is there a log or other means of determing why or which component is triggering the not
meet minimum requirements message? Anything in my config that others suspect is the problem?

-Oculus app is running on my PC but is there possibly missing or outdated software or drivers causing the problem? (all software is recently installed, and the system says there are no available updates for the headset).

-Is there some procedure or setting I may need to apply/change?

I note that I'm not a gamer - my interest is in "experiences" - so I don't need the resolution
and framerates of games. I am interested in ray tracing, which the graphics card is supposed to support, but I can live with lowered resolution and/or framerate. My choice of graphics card is dictated by my mini-ITX case, which requires a low profile and short card, and the AMD RX 6400 is the the best I could find, but if someone knows a better graphics card which satisfies these size constraints that is sure to work I'll try it.

Recommendations to diagnose and/or fix appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

iMight404
Oculus Support
Oculus Support

Hey OP, here's a link to the minimum specs for Rift/Rift S/Quest. Additionally, I've included some steps to collect logs so you can sift through and see exactly what's failing. 

1. Open the run window (Windows key + R)
2. Enter and run: C:\program files\oculus\support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
3. Wait for the executable file to pop up
4. Select logs for the last 24 hours
5. Wait for the log collection to finish. It should pop up a Windows Explorer window at the location of your newly collected logs.
6. It automatically generates a zip file and copies the zip to the clipboard so you can paste it to your desktop
7. Attach this zip file to your next support ticket (optional if you aren't going over it yourself)

Hope this helps!

Take your destiny into your own hands. Sand cannot keep a shape by itself, but add water and it becomes malleable. Fate can be such, if you add the right element.

Chillingjoe2001
Level 2

I don't know if this will help, but I know that the RX 6400 does not have any hardware encoding. This limitation means that your GPU cannot do the video encoding itself, and I don't know if Oculus Link supports CPU encoding (which if it does, it most likely won't perform well since the CPU will be most likely maxed out, causing terrible stutter).

Another GPU that is nice for ITX builds would be a GTX 1650, GTX 1660 or RTX 2060, or with AMD the RX 6600 XT or RX 5500 XT (but is hard to find not used). Both the RTX 2060 and the RX 6600 support ray tracing, but with these tiers of cards, it won't be as impactful. There are some older gen GPUs that are going for cheap but might be a bit risky and definitely don't support ray tracing.

I personally recommend buying a GTX 1660 super if going for new without ray tracing (found easily around $200-$230 USD), or an RTX 2060/ RX 6600 XT (around $250-$350 USD) if you still want ray tracing capabilities (The RTX 2060 does have stronger ray tracing performance). Hopefully, you'd find some models that will fit in your case.

Hope this helps a little bit, and if there are any other questions about GPUs, I'm here to help!