cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Specs PC problems

SixTheArctos
Explorer
I have a minimum specs pc, an Alienware Aurora R7 with AMD RX 560 graphics card and intel core processor i5-8400. Oculus has been working fine with some minor frame issues. I've always had the message "your pc does not meet minimum requirements".. that won't go away. Also tried upgrading to 2.0 and just get a black screen so my rift only displays in classic home view.
I ran the compatibility tool check and it does not recognize my processor, I've heard ignore the "doesn't recognise processore message". Compatibility check also has a big red X next to my graphics card. I got an Alienware pc because they are easily upgradable.
Arghhhhhhh 😞

Any suggestions about graphics card that will work and won't break the bank?
Any other suggestions are welcomed too.
9 REPLIES 9

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
I love AMD, but in this case go with at least an nvidia1060 unfortunately ... Find a weekend sale to make a good deal would be my oppinion.

Also, uograding to the beta is not a good idea so far. Cause .. Well its a beta 🙂
Be good, die great !

SixTheArctos
Explorer

KlodsBrik said:

I love AMD, but in this case go with at least an nvidia1060 unfortunately ... Find a weekend sale to make a good deal would be my oppinion.

Also, uograding to the beta is not a good idea so far. Cause .. Well its a beta 🙂

I also thought a AMD 560 graphics card met the minimum requirements so I'm a little peeved about that.

DevilsNips
Protege
all my specs bar my graphics card are fine. i run on a GTX 780 and it shows the message that it is below specs, all other specs are above the minimum. my stepdad has the GTX 780 TI and that shows up as all ticks so the small difference matters. however i can run 95% of everything and it runs smoothly.

on par with the 780 TI is the 1060 but the 1060 has 6GB instead of only 4GB so would be better.

falken76
Expert Consultant

all my specs bar my graphics card are fine. i run on a GTX 780 and it shows the message that it is below specs, all other specs are above the minimum. my stepdad has the GTX 780 TI and that shows up as all ticks so the small difference matters. however i can run 95% of everything and it runs smoothly.

on par with the 780 TI is the 1060 but the 1060 has 6GB instead of only 4GB so would be better.

Really?  A 1060 is on par with a 780ti?  Is that accurate.  Then is a 960 or 970 better than a 1060?  I'm confused, why do they number these like this if older GPUs are more powerful, I mean the 1060 I would assume is MUCH newer than the 780ti.  I think you're wrong, but someone please correct me.

falken76
Expert Consultant

falken76 said:

Really?  A 1060 is on par with a 780ti?  Is that accurate.  Then is a 960 or 970 better than a 1060?  I'm confused, why do they number these like this if older GPUs are more powerful, I mean the 1060 I would assume is MUCH newer than the 780ti.  I think you're wrong, but someone please correct me.

Wow I looked at specs, these damn video card confuse the hell out of me.  Is the TI version some super expensive version that's leaps and bounds better than a standard version and you should expect it to last a VERY long time before it needs replaced?  The 1080ti is for people with way more disposable income than I have.  $1,200 for a damn video card?!  WTF?!  Will that card last at least 5 years before needing replaced?  If not, that's a god damn rip off.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
ti versions are basically factory overclocked cards. It´s not that easy though. Better components and cooloing profiles are also part of the "magic".

And yeah, it´s a jungle that one have to read up on for weeks in order to get what fits one best.
Be good, die great !

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Just cause a card is newer doesn't mean it's better. Think of it this way, is a 2018 Ford Focus faster than a 2017 Ford GT? Regardless, both AMD and Nvidia use a similar designation scheme for their cards. The last number is a 0, the second to last is where it fits in their product lineup and the numbers leading that are the generation. So, an AMD RX 460 is the 4th generation RX card and considered a "6" by AMD (bear in mind they don't have anything lower than a 6).

Nvidia's GTX 1060 is a 10th generation GTX, also considered a "6" by Nvidia. However their base is a GTX 1030, so their 6 is a midrange GPU while the RX 460 is the bare bones model not intended for gaming. Additionally, Nvidia also has the TI designation, these are the super versions of the numbered card but still fall short of the one above (if there is one). The GTX 1080 TI is about 30% faster than the GTX 1080 and has an additional 3GB of VRAM. The added speed comes from additional processing cores (3,584 vs 2,560 CUDA cores). There is also the recently released GTX 1070 TI, which is almost a GTX 1080 but still falls a little short on the CUDA cores.

As for older generations, A GTX 1060 6GB is somewhere between a GTX 970 and a GTX 980 and the GTX 1070 is roughly equal to a GTX 980 TI. A GTX 780 TI is roughly on par with the GTX 1060 6GB.

When it comes to pricing, that's heavily skewed due to crypto-currency mining. I bought an RX 480 8GB about a year ago for $250 USD. I sold it a few months ago for more than I paid and bought a GTX 1080 TI for $750 USD. That GTX 1080 TI is now $1150 on Newegg.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Wow, I'm sorry but those cards are a rip off unless you are using them for something specific to work that actually makes money.  Is it Crypto Currency that's ruining the prices of these GPUs?  $1,200 for a video card.  What is their target demographic?  Males with no family and money burning a hole in their pockets?  Or is their target the computer nerd that daisy chains 20 of these cards together in some weird home made server rack to mine bit coins?

So will a 1080ti be equal to a 1360 when it comes out?  The numbering is confusing.  Apparently the generation doesn't really matter, it's the middle number and the TI designation.  I think a TI card should last at least 10 years at that ridiculous cost. 

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
It's supply and demand. AMD and Nvidia can only make graphics cards so fast, that puts a hard cap on how many are out there. They sell them to retailers at whatever the bulk price is but those retailers are free to charge whatever they can get away with. The GTX 1080 TI I have has an MSRP of $750 USD, but due to high demand and a shortage of supply, retailers are asking $1100+ for them.

As for who buys them, that's miners. I didn't build my PC with mining in mind, but I'm mining with it every night now. If I let my machine, which was not built as a mining rig, run 24/7 with nicehash, I'd make about $250-$300 a month after electricity costs. That means it takes 3 months to payoff a GTX 1080 TI mining, after which it's $250 a month in pure profit (with current pricing). Have 10 cards? That's $2,500 a month. Have 100 cards? That's $25,000 a month. Have 10,000 cards... you get the idea. There are companies buying these $1000 graphics cards by the shipping crate, and making a killing off it.