cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum specs

matttheginge1
Sightseer
Hello gamers, when installing my oculus rift it came up with a window saying my minimum specs are not good enough. I have 16 gig ram, i7 processor and an nvidea 970m GPU. To my knowledge this is more than is needed to run oculus rift. I carried on with the instillation and it works but graphics rendering is very slow and a little blurry. 

Can anybody please HELP ME ?? .......
4 REPLIES 4

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
The GTX 970m is not a GTX 970, it is a far less capable mobile version and does not come anywhere close to meeting the minimum specs for Oculus Rift. Take a look here for a benchmark comparison between the 970, 970m and the 960 (minimum spec): https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=2981&cmp%5B%5D=2954&cmp%5B%5D=3114

That shows the GTX 970 as being a little over twice as fast as your 970m while the minimum spec of a GTX 960 is about 50% faster than your GTX 970m. The only solution is to buy a new computer. It's easy enough to swap out a graphics card on a desktop PC, but laptop GPU's like the 970m can't be upgraded unfortunately.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, that is a mobile chip, not desktop, so it's too underpowered and may not work well. It's recommended you use a desktop machine. If you really must use a laptop, there are Oculus Ready PCs on this page which are confirmed to be compatible. https://www.oculus.com/oculus-ready-pcs/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

matttheginge1
Sightseer
thankyou for your feedback, this is annoying however as I have only just bought this laptop with the specs in mind, I really didn't think the m made any difference, il check out the laptops on that page and see if I can upgrade

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
It's annoying for sure, you aren't the only one to fall for that little marketing trick. The very first laptop I ever bought had a dedicated graphics card which I thought was a mid-ranged one. Turned out to be slower than the integrated graphics on the CPU. I was not happy. That was many years ago though.