cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Devices under 1 admin for education...

Hello All,

I have purchased 4 Quest 2 sets for my vocational program at a local high school. We cannot access FB from district networks, we do not have phone owned by the district, we cannot AirLink due to network security settings. It looks as though the learning software company does offer stand alone apps for the headset. I am trying to figure out a way to set up the 4 headsets and manage content and restrictions as students use them to access the learning apps. Any suggestions?? 

7 REPLIES 7

guestc.2022
Honored Guest

Have you been able to resolve your issue? I am having a similar issue.

kojack
MVP
MVP

That's quite a tricky situation.

You can't set up Quest 2s without a phone or tablet to tie them to, that's a hard requirement. Once set up, they generally don't need the phone around (except a couple of settings like turning developer mode on and off) and you can use one phone for many devices. I just use my own phone.

While facebook accounts are no longer needed, the Quest 2 needs access to Meta's servers for updates, software downloads, setup, etc. If your network is blocking facebook, it's probably blocking those servers too. Plus to make the accounts you need to connect to Meta, so same issue.

Network blocking of Airlink can be avoided by using Link instead (usb cable, no network). But I have a suspicion that your IT department won't like Oculus software (that connects to meta servers too) running on the classroom PCs.

So one solution is:

- use your own phone, or buy a cheap android one (needs to be compatible with the oculus app, but otherwise can be a simple one)

- do all the headset setup off campus on a network that isn't locked down

- buy some long USB 3 cables that are suitable for Link (not all long cables work with Link)

- convince your IT department to allow Oculus desktop software on the PCs and allow them meta server access. Although I'm guessing this will be the blocking point.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sort of but not really. I had IT create 4 dummy emails giving me admin access over those emails. Then, I just created a Meta account with each device being assigned an email. I then used my personal phone to activate each headset. They are working. We have yet to tackle casting so the group can watch the simulation on a large tv. That is our next step.

Any Update?  I am looking for buy several Quest pros for my CTC programs.

So meta told me to just set up 1 account and add the 4 headsets but you just did 4 separate accounts.  Did you try the 1 account and it didn't work or you just wanted to set it up this way?  I don't want to share apps between headsets so are the 4 accounts preferable?  I am my own school IT so I can do whatever I want with emails...

oof, and I realize this is a year ago. Hopefully you check in...

Thank you

If you use a single account and never turn on app sharing, then generally any single player game (and some multiplayer) you buy can be run on all the headsets, even at the same time. Only one purchase needed for all headsets to get a game.

(App sharing disables the same app running on multiple headsets at once)

If you use one account per headset, you can do casting via the web. The web casting option is account based, so I don't believe its possible to have two headsets on the same account cast to the web at once. At my college we set all the Quests to different accounts so we could have each cast to a PC running a projector or on a big tv for our student exhibition.

Otherwise they are pretty similar. Both styles can be managed with one phone (just need to log in/out if you have multiple accounts). The main reason for going with the single account was due to multiple accounts breaking the Facebook one-account-per-person rule, but Meta accounts explicitly allow it.

It sounds like in your case (not wanting to share apps between headsets) the multiple account method is probably better.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

danac.1065
Honored Guest

Have you solved that? Download and sideload the required apps directly onto the headsets. This way, students can access the content without needing an internet connection during use. To streamline content management and restrictions, I recommend leveraging dedicated management tools provided by the software or exploring third-party solutions compatible with your setup. For valuable insights on optimizing educational technology in vocational programs, you might find Essays.Edubirdie's https://essays.edubirdie.com/java-assignment resources beneficial. Wishing you success in creating a seamless virtual learning experience for your students!