cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rift keeps on disconnecting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot about the issue I'm experiencing and have not found a solution. I am almost certain that my Rift is busted, and have logged a support ticket, but since they are taking forever to get back to me (I read about the atrocious response times and have pretty much attached everything but my birth certificate to the ticket :)), I thought let me put it out here and just maybe someone has seen this issue before and can help me resolve it.

I received my Rift Wednesday last week. I un-boxed it and connected it as soon as I got home from work. The Oculus compatibility tool showed all systems green (ASUS GeForce GTX 970, onboard USB - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard, i5-4670k - not using any adapters). Installed the Rift software and started the calibration. During the calibration was the first time it happened. The Windows "you have just disconnected hardware" chime played. Took off the headset and saw a "Rift's Hdmi cable isn't plugged in" popup, followed by the Windows chime to show that it detected hardware again. At first I thought it was a dodgy cable but it seemed to happen mostly when I touch the goggles. Logged a support ticket that same night. I tried out different USB ports combinations - and for a moment on Thursday I thought I solved it my moving the sensor to a USB2 connection and having the headset plugged into a USB3 connection. It seemed to not drop the connection anymore. I fired up Elite Dangerous and within a few minutes it happend again.

I still sort of thought it had something to do with the cable (even though I've re-seated it both PC and headset side 10's of times) and made this video that I attached to my support ticket (which hasn't been viewed once as yet 😞 ). When I lightly shook the headset it lost it's connection. Sometime during my panic to get it working I ordered the recommend Inatech card from Amazon with express deliver (which costed me more than the card - Apparently Australia is REALLY far)

Then, over the weekend I messed around some more - upgraded by BIOS and reformatted my machine to rule out any bad/outdated drivers. Issue was still there, but then I noticed I can easily reproduce the issue when I lightly press the right side of the headset. Here is a demo. The Inatech card did not make any difference and I wish the support guys can just give me an indication of whether they are even still planning on looking at this. 

So, while I am waiting to hopefully one day hear back from them, has anyone seen this issue - and know how to fix it? Or am I cr*p out of luck... 😞
42 REPLIES 42

Javbomb
Protege
Yes the issue is fairly rampant,

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38993/rift-loses-randomly-hdmi-connection#latest
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/35213/rift-hmd-switches-off-intermittently#latest

Oculus just took delivery of my faulty HMD this Monday for this very issue, replacement cable didn't solve anything. Have you looked at the pins and compared them to the posts here? Oculus will ask you for pictures of the cable pins. Then they will probably send you a new cable.

Who knows when they will send me a new unit... Been a month and a week since I took delivery of the faulty DOA rift.

Good luck with it.

LZoltowski
Champion
Im not sure if this is the same issue, but it might be a USB Power management issue. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Javbomb said:

Yes the issue is fairly rampant,

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38993/rift-loses-randomly-hdmi-connection#latest
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/35213/rift-hmd-switches-off-intermittently#latest

Oculus just took delivery of my faulty HMD this Monday for this very issue, replacement cable didn't solve anything. Have you looked at the pins and compared them to the posts here? Oculus will ask you for pictures of the cable pins. Then they will probably send you a new cable.

Who knows when they will send me a new unit... Been a month and a week since I took delivery of the faulty DOA rift.

Good luck with it.

Just read a few of your posts... my issue sounds identical to yours! any twisting of the HMD and BAM! Disconnected. Ugghhh, I was hoping there some hope...but looks like I'm in support's hands. 

Good luck to you too mate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not sure if this is the same issue, but it might be a USB Power management issue. 

Hi LZoltowski - I did disable all the power saving features in device manager - and have tried both my onboard and the Inateck PCI-E card. Thank you for the suggestion though.

ChicoMick
Honored Guest

pvsleeper said:

Hi LZoltowski - I did disable all the power saving features in device manager - and have tried both my onboard and the Inateck PCI-E card. Thank you for the suggestion though.

As well as USB power management, check power mangement tab in Device
Manager for "Oculus Devices-Rift Sensor" this seems to have fixed it for
me......

wmayott
Honored Guest
I'm having the same problem you show in your video .. thank you for posting this .. it makes me feel better that someone else is having the same problem .. connection drops at the slightest touch ..

MRNIEL
Honored Guest
I suddenly also had the same problem with disconnects shortly after starting a game. The oculus home notification system would alert me and same time give a black rift screen, however i noticed that programs still ran at the main monitor with perfect tracking despite the hmd beeing black.
So i simply tried to delete the Fresco logic driver and somehow it solved the problem.
BTW i have the inatech 4 port usb 3 card installed.
You will however get some warnings in oculus settings that you need to update your drivers. the HMD is working fine despite those warnings.
So if all else fail, try to delete those fresno drivers.
The same time the port labeling wrongly saying USB2 went back to USB3 as supposed .

Anonymous
Not applicable

MRNIEL said:

I suddenly also had the same problem with disconnects shortly after starting a game. The oculus home notification system would alert me and same time give a black rift screen, however i noticed that programs still ran at the main monitor with perfect tracking despite the hmd beeing black.
So i simply tried to delete the Fresco logic driver and somehow it solved the problem.
BTW i have the inatech 4 port usb 3 card installed.
You will however get some warnings in oculus settings that you need to update your drivers. the HMD is working fine despite those warnings.
So if all else fail, try to delete those fresno drivers.
The same time the port labeling wrongly saying USB2 went back to USB3 as supposed .

Thank you MRNIEL, I will give this a go over the weekend. Also going to take my Rift to a mate's house this weekend who has a working Rift to test it on his machine and swap the cables out to make sure it's not a dodgy cable. Not holding my breath though 😞

notaprimenumber
Protege
Just out of curiosity, windows seven? The supposed incompatibility and need to "upgrade drivers" is the norm in seven, and disappears (at least, it did for me) with 10. I think MS upgraded the usb3 stack since seven, and didn't do a good job in the first version. My opinion, of course.