cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New oculus won't turn on

malospam
Honored Guest
My extreme joy that I had as the package for the new oculus has turned into much anxiety 😞
The first oculus works perfectly. This new version does not power on for some sort of reason. When I press the power button on the front it flashes blue real quick and then nothing happens. I know this is very general, and honestly I don't know where to even start to look for help because there are so many posts. Can someone please steer me, I'm kind of depressed that I've waited for so long for this amazing release.........

Also additionally, it is not recognized even as a second monitor in windows 8. I also redownloaded the sdk. Is the bluelight supposed to stay on?
9 REPLIES 9

aswokei
Honored Guest
I'm having a similar problem. It will turn on briefly, and then power back off.

A few moments ago it worked--albeit, I didn't have the time to get the tracking working. But now it's not working, period. When I press the power button it flashes a bit like you said, but it won't do anything.

ridoutb
Protege
The DK2 Rift light doesn't usually stay blue unless content is being fed to it. You might just need to fire up a demo/game.

If that's not it, here's a good setup list:

If you are on Windows7:

Make sure you have oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.0_win.exe installed.
Make sure one of these is running:
(You might need to kill it in the TaskManager process list and restart it)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Service\OVRService_x64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\ServiceOVRService_x86.exe

Start the OculusConfigTool.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Tools\OculusConfigUtil.exe

Assuming your camera and Rift HMD are detected, update the firmware.

Then try to run the Demo. Click the "Show Demo Scene" button. You may need to switch your display mode in the OculusConfigTool. Under Tools > Rift Display Mode... try both Direct (games are rendered straight to Rift screen) and Extended (as a fallback).

I have not gotten Direct mode to work. For extended mode, you will have to make sure your Windows desktop is extended onto your Rift as a 2nd monitor. You will also have to rotate the Rift to portrait mode.

From there, you will probably be working. If not, head back to the forums! 😄

aswokei
Honored Guest
EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you. I thought my Rift was DOA. I will give extended mode a try.

malospam
Honored Guest
I have windows 8, what can I do?!!! PLEASE. I am dying to get this working. Thanks.

skatman
Honored Guest
Having a similar issues. I have windows 8. My oculus dk2 seems to be rejecting PC or vice versa. When I put the usb into the PC. the beeping sound of a new device being installed sounds and the screen (PC) flickers, and the oculus lights turns on orange, then blue, then the sound of a device disconnecting (Another beeping sound) is made and then the screen flickers again and the oculus light turns back off....

skatman
Honored Guest
Now that I took out the plug....it's on...but I am unsure how to download and try the demos..

skatman
Honored Guest
okay. I think the initial problem with it turning on and off might have been the extension cord I was using. Now that I plugged it into wall socket, seems okay. But once I hit the power button to turn it off, it wont turn back on...I have to take the plug out the outlet and then it would turn on again but will turn off...But once I plug it back into the outlet it goes back on....frustrating...

palacecat
Honored Guest
Hello!

I'm a new user too. I'm having trouble even getting Windows 8.1 to recognize the runtime file. Every time I try to do anything with it, the computer does the "Do you want to search the app store for a program" thing.

Any ideas how to bypass this hurdle?

Thanks!

ValiantOne
Honored Guest
"malospam" wrote:
My extreme joy that I had as the package for the new oculus has turned into much anxiety 😞
The first oculus works perfectly. This new version does not power on for some sort of reason. When I press the power button on the front it flashes blue real quick and then nothing happens. I know this is very general, and honestly I don't know where to even start to look for help because there are so many posts. Can someone please steer me, I'm kind of depressed that I've waited for so long for this amazing release.........

Also additionally, it is not recognized even as a second monitor in windows 8. I also redownloaded the sdk. Is the bluelight supposed to stay on?

First: UNPLUG THE POWER ADAPTER FROM THE LITTLE BOX ON THE CABLE! That causes most of the issues. If that does not work then do the below.

Problems may be due to the USB power management. You can do the below to see if it works.

Try:
Power Management and USB Controller

1. Using Windows 8, hold the Widows key and press the 'x' key to open a menu in the lower-left and select "Device Manager."

2. Using Windows 7 or Windows Vista, open the Start Menu, type "Device Manager" in the search field, and press ENTER.

3. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
4. Right-click each entry titled "USB Root Hub" and select "Properties."
5. Change to the "Power Management" tab.
6. Uncheck the check box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
7. Press "OK."
8. Repeat this for each "USB Root Hub" entry.
9. Reboot the computer.

And if that does not work... Do the following:

Uninstall and Reinstall the USB Controller

1. Open the Device Manager as explained previously.
2. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
3. Right-click each entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and select "Uninstall."
4. Ensure you've done this for each entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
5. Reboot the computer.

Hopefully this will get the DK2 the power it needs from the USB ports.
i7-2600k @4.20(OC) Ghz, 16gb RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance, ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z, NVIDIA GTX 760 4gb, 1200w Gold Certified Corsair PSU, (1)Acer HN274H 3D 120hz Monitor-1920x1080,(2) Samsung Syncmaster 245BW-1920x1200, Win 7 64bit.