cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Newbie and not sure how the whole thing works.

gailkw
Level 3

Hi there,

I want to buy this for my Grand kids for Christmas but I'm not sure how it works and have a lot of questions.

Can you run this just on WIFI without downloading the google app from my smartphone or chromecast etc. or even download it through the oculus 2 device? I understand you can buy games through the device but what about games through Nintendo switch and through Xbox so we can play games together with the normal controllers? I wasn't sure how that is done?

Also does this thing come with some smaller games and other VR videos so when we get this up and running the kids and play with it right away to see all the stuff they can do with this device? 

I need to know what I getting before going out and buying this. I think I am more excited about this device then the kids will be πŸ™‚

I would appreciate if someone could answer these questions for me.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You do need a smartphone app to set the Quest 2 up when you first use it but it's not neccessary after that so young people themselves do not need phones. The headset will connect to the internet via wifi and download purchased games that way.

You cannot play games from any other console (Switch, XBox, Playstation etc). However, in addition to Quest-native games you can play PC VR games on the headset if you have a powerful gaming PC available. The PC is not neccessary if you only want to play games that are native to the Quest.

The headset does not come with any games built-in but there are a lot of free games and applications on the store.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

You do need a smartphone app to set the Quest 2 up when you first use it but it's not neccessary after that so young people themselves do not need phones. The headset will connect to the internet via wifi and download purchased games that way.

You cannot play games from any other console (Switch, XBox, Playstation etc). However, in addition to Quest-native games you can play PC VR games on the headset if you have a powerful gaming PC available. The PC is not neccessary if you only want to play games that are native to the Quest.

The headset does not come with any games built-in but there are a lot of free games and applications on the store.

View solution in original post

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

@gailkw  Honestly, if you have not kept up with PC tech, esp. VR, and/or cannot do some Google searches then I think you are better to forget this for now.  If your grandkids are over 13yo they will know a lot more than you imho.  BTW, I'm +65 years young and am still able to sort out most young wiper snappers, lol!

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Thank you! You explained it very well. I have never seen one working so I didn't know what to expect. I could understand bits and pieces here and there so now I think I know... Maybe πŸ™‚ I believe you are saying it once set up through a google app you can go to the store inside and buy games and you can change the setting inside the device itself. Kind of like a computer. I think once we have it home it will be easier to understanding the whole thing so much better. I just though I seen on youtube someone hooked it up and was playing games on other game consoles like xbox. But I think if I understand it right you can play other console games but they are not really VR like the ones you buy through the Oculus store.

One more question please. When you buy a VR game through this device other players can only play with you if they have the same game and all are playing online? Is this true? or do I have it wrong?  

Thank you so much!

πŸ™‚ I would have thought so too that they should know more than I do but they don't. One is 12 and the other is 14. Actually the 12 year old is the one that said he wanted this but when I questioned him on anything he didn't have a clue. So I'm trying to figure it out myself here πŸ™‚

Another question πŸ™‚ Sounds like the rechargeable batteries run out when playing it a lot. Can you leave you it plugged in while playing? 

Thanks

You know I reread you reply and what are you insinuating "or cannot do some Google searches" Of course I did and not one person explained it just like you didn't explain it very good either. Of course you understand the product you own one. I'm not a gamer and don't profess to be one. Thank goodness for people like user_901925786032222 who knows how to explain instead of criticize.   

Yes, once it's been setup initially you don't need to use the smartphone app (it's the Oculus app, not Google) for anything. The only games you can play in addition to the ones that have been produced specifically for the headset are PC VR games, although you'll need a powerful gaming PC and additional cable (or fast wifi) to do that. No console games are playable.

You can play online with other people that own the same game.

The battery in the headet typically lasts for a couple of hours of play time. You can buy replacement headstraps with additional batteries built-in to extend play time (and lots of people do because the default headstrap can be uncomfortable after a while), or just plug in a USB battery pack stored in a pocket, but lots of people (including me) find that two hours is plenty of time to spend in VR. When first starting out, it's usually best to limit play time to only a few minutes to avoid nausea. Similarly to seasickness, most people find they can gradually extend the time spent playing, and the intensity of the games, with practice. this is often known as "gaining VR legs" although a small proprtion of people never do. VR isn't something that's for them, sadly.

@gailkw  Ya, sorry but I still think that if you are not very PC gaming literate, buying something like the Quest 2 for grandkids as a Xmas gift may not be a good idea.  First of all, make sure that they are at least 13yo since they will currently also need a Facebook and Oculus account.  They will also need to use an approved CC, preferably through PayPal.  I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to add a little reality.  Similar questions get asked a zillion times on this and other forums.  The search feature is often a useful tool imho.  Also lots of useful info on the Oculus support website regarding setups and requirements.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Thank You πŸ™‚ I am PC gaming literate especially VR but not from the lack of trying. 3d glasses were only thing I ever seen that came close to virtual reality lol. I did search and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I could even find out everything else but,.. like how to get games and the cracks and a lot of How to stuff. But not one said what was needed to play the thing. I did read on that did mention the app on the cell phone but it didn't say if that was the first thing you did or after you got to know the device a bit. It was very unclear. If I had the set in front of me I would have known how easy it is. But I didn't. Thank you for your in put and you are probably right. If I wait for next year and everyone will be a little smarter on the subject and of course something better will be out by then I'm sure. I'll talk to my daughter and see what her take is on it since I am very sure they'll will be bugging her for games. Sure I would even love to own one for but I know I would never get used that much no matter how much I liked it. Now for what I have read watching a movie on it can be very interesting too πŸ™‚ but then I would have to get one for each of us lol Yeah right πŸ™‚

Bye for now and have a very Merry Christmas!!