cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newest update (12.0.0.191.268) introduced unplayable frame drops in HMD

Mawntee
Explorer
I mentioned this before when the previous PTC release came out that this was an issue. 
And of course it's now back. 

To have an update that's supposed to fix things make my device unusable is slightly frustrating...

Here's a copy/paste from my last post about this issue:
"Rift CV1 user here. Update caused significant frame drops and skips in the HMD only. 

I noticed it the most while playing beat saber (both with mods and base game). 
In HMD fps was showing around 75-80 and mirror on screen was sitting at a buttery smooth 90."

If anyone has a fix or knows what's causing the issue please let me know!
203 REPLIES 203

ModestMouseTrap
Protege

I got an update from the PC graphics engineer at Oculus, They said they are looking into this with the highest priority and have several mitigation's in the works. There is no ETA on the next update or fix, just stay tuned and keep checking for updates daily. 

Ok good, so they made it explicitly clear that they are aware of games not fully utilizing GPU and CPU resources?

Were there any other details?

No other details, It was a short reply to my private message I sent to the graphics dev on Reddit. User name is ppedriana. 

I explained in great detail all the issues that were happening and hopefully they have a good idea on whats causing it. Crossing my fingers this update will be out before Christmas. 

One can hope! I definitely hope it’s fixed before the release of Half Life:Alyx

not to mention Id like to actually be able to play Asgard’s Wrath on my RTX 2080.

really makes me wonder what exactly could have gone wrong. Some weird artificial choke point? 

mario-64
Protege

I got an update from the PC graphics engineer at Oculus, They said they are looking into this with the highest priority and have several mitigation's in the works. There is no ETA on the next update or fix, just stay tuned and keep checking for updates daily. 

Several mitigations in the works? That doesn't sound promising at all. They broke something and just need to fix it. Mitigation implies they can't find the root cause and are just looking for bandaid workarounds not an actual fix. Hope I'm wrong

Beso2050
Explorer
I'm on a Rift S and I, too, can confirm sudden frame drops in Asgard's Wrath despite having more than 60% headroom. I mean it even happens on Low settings! Just standing there doing nothing and the game loses about 3 fps for no reason. Here are my specs:

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
I7 8700k 3.7GHz (Might try overclocking and see if this could help. I don't really want to OC now though)
32gb DDR4 Ram

My PC should run this smoothly I guess; yet I can't even use SS without having weird stutters. Gonna try rolling back to the previous version and update you guys. I have tried PTC but to no avail.

Update: Unfortunately, I was unable to roll back and my Oculus is still on the same dreaded update. I cannot believe that the sudden drops happen even in the calibration screen! That one with the towering man-tree. I still lose frames there. Unbelievable, really. 

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Beso2050 said:

I'm on a Rift S and I, too, can confirm sudden frame drops in Asgard's Wrath despite having more than 60% headroom. I mean it even happens on Low settings! Just standing there doing nothing and the game loses about 3 fps for no reason. Here are my specs:

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
I7 8700k 3.7GHz (Might try overclocking and see if this could help. I don't really want to OC now though)
32gb DDR4 Ram

My PC should run this smoothly I guess; yet I can't even use SS without having weird stutters. Gonna try rolling back to the previous version and update you guys. I have tried PTC but to no avail.

@Beso2050, no need to OC your CPU. I have the same CPU (water cooled) running at 5Ghz with same issue. It's the Oculus APP/driver not your system. If you haven't yet, start a support ticket with your Log files so Oculus can see what is happening with your system and compare to others who have done the same.

Cheers!!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Beso2050
Explorer

Beso2050 said:

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
32gb DDR4 Ram

@Beso2050, no need to OC your CPU. I have the same CPU (water cooled) running at 5Ghz with same issue. It's the Oculus APP/driver not your system. If you haven't yet, start a support ticket with your Log files so Oculus can see what is happening with your system and compare to others who have done the same.

Cheers!!!

It's utterly frustrating, I've been trying all possible workarounds but nothing works. I do hope they give us an update soon-ish, though. 

Chazmeister
Rising Star

Elite Dangerous keeps CTDing after this update as soon as I try and start up a game. Well either this update or the latest Nvidia drivers, but my money is on the Oculus update.

FYI, Elite Dangerous works fine on my system with 12.0, but I am on the PTC presently. If you not on the PTC, maybe try it to see if that helps you.

Cheers!!!

I did try that to start with the other day but it still crashed out. However I've just tried enabling the PTC again this morning and now it works! So I wonder if the PTC has had another minor update in the last couple of days that's fixed that, although my version number (12.0.0.241.268), is still the same as it was when it was crashing. 

Anyway, thanks for your help!

TakeTori246
Explorer

Elite Dangerous keeps CTDing after this update as soon as I try and start up a game. Well either this update or the latest Nvidia drivers, but my money is on the Oculus update.

FYI, Elite Dangerous works fine on my system with 12.0, but I am on the PTC presently. If you not on the PTC, maybe try it to see if that helps you.

Cheers!!!

I did try that to start with the other day but it still crashed out. However I've just tried enabling the PTC again this morning and now it works! So I wonder if the PTC has had another minor update in the last couple of days that's fixed that, although my version number (12.0.0.241.268), is still the same as it was when it was crashing. 

Anyway, thanks for your help!

It's unlikely. As you say, the PTC version stays exactly the same. When you turn on the beta version, it only takes 3 seconds to "update", then Oculus restarts and then you're supposed to be in beta. It doesn't seem like there even is a PTC to speak of available even though there appears to be. The hand shaking, jitter and performance issues are still present. Makes no difference, at least in my case. But just to make sure, I'm going to try an install it again and test out some games.

EDIT: Yep, does absolutely nothing. Just to clarify, atm I'm not getting hand stutter or frame drops in Oculus Home, but it's immediately present in everything related to SteamVR. So, SteamVR Home has hand stutter all the freaking time, The Lab also, and Boneworks has that in addition to constant reprojection and massive framedrops. Anything Steam is broken when running side by side with Oculus.

FrontierSupport
Adventurer

Hey! If you're still experiencing these crashes, please get in touch with us via: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/ and we'll be happy to help. 🙂

-CMDR Vulcan

Anonymous
Not applicable
A lot of my games CTD or never load.  Oculus software thinks they are running, but I'm getting nothing.

Cyberdennis
Honored Guest
Same here, CV1 with 1080ti and i7 8700 32 GB, updated Oculus App yesterday and Asgards Wrath is a stuttery mess since then, before it runs smoothly with settings at "Epic", now I have some heavy stutters and ghosting effects when moving and turning around even with "Low" settings. On the other hand I don't seem to have any issues with DCS World and IL2 flight simulators yesterday via steam, so it seems to me the fps issues only affect oculus exclusives and/or games bought from oculus store and played via oculus app.