cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound on the right side of the Rift headphone

MPires
Heroic Explorer
I no longer have sound on the right side of the Rift headphone.
I removed and put the phone back on the right side. For a few moments I have a sound again and then it disappears. I did the operation several times and after a while the sound disappears again.
I switched the phones on the right side with the ones on the left side. I always sound on the left side but on the right side only occasionally and even this for a short time.
I changed the cable to another USB port but the effect is the same.
I removed the cable from the HMD and reconnected it. The sound works while I do not put the HMD on my face. As soon as I put it on, I only have sound on the left side.
I reinstalled the CV1 software and checked the settings, nothing worked.
Apparently it must be a hardware problem (maybe in the HMD connector) but I'm not sure.
Thank you for all the suggestions you can give me. I temporarily removed the headphones and installed some old headphones.
5 REPLIES 5

Inditronic
Explorer
it's a known issue. there are some posts on reddit that show you how to fix it but you loose the warranty. one tip from me is to not sent it back for replacement at the moment as it takes very long. i am personally waiting for 3 weeks now to get my replacement unit, other ppl on reddit are waiting for 5 weeks now. so maybe mail the support to find out if you still have warranty for the rift but maybe sent the rift back later for replacement when the summer of rift is over and they got there logistic issues fixed.

flexy123
Superstar
Yes external headphones work fine. As the other guy said, this is a case for RMA but currently you want to wait if you bought directly from Oculus and want to RMA through them.

MPires
Heroic Explorer
Thanks Inditronic and Flexy123 for the opinions. I have no idea to send the CV1 for repair, because I would have to wait a long time to have it back. I had a problem with the Xbox command and to have a new one I waited 2 months.
I will try to find the posts in reddit but if you remember a particularly useful link do not forget to share it. Thank you

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer
I would advise you to get a RMA on this before your warranty runs out.

Sure you can wait for the summer sale to simmer down but I wouldn't leave this unresolved.

The problem is likely deeper than anything you can fix yourself.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/56234/can-oculus-give-us-some-clarity-on-the-cause-of...

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

MPires
Heroic Explorer
I no longer have doubts about the type of failure. Right internal cable has stopped working. Both headphones are good. The total resolution is certainly replacing the headstrap or the whole HMD.
Unfortunately, I am in a country that is not served directly by the Rift distribution network (I have asked a resident relative in one of the 20 countries to buy it and send it to me), so the substitution is always time-consuming and expensive (I have to pay the shipping and return of the rift to that country where the purchase was made).
I appreciate the help given to realize what was happening but I think I have to live with external heaphones until the next HMD is commercialized. Thank you phoenixdigital.