cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OBS studio no longer works with nvidia codec and oculus rift

Psit
Honored Guest
Hello, since the latest oculus firmware updates OBS can not start streaming / recording if you select the NVENC encoder.
There are many posts in OBS forums.

I was wondering if the Oculus devs are aware of this?
7 REPLIES 7

Chillisteak
Protege
Yeah what's going on here with this?
Got the same problem myself, OBS records and streams fine but soon as the Oculus App is even opened it's game over for OBS working if the NVENC encoder is used.

Which is a real shame as it's the only one that provides almost no performance hit.
Given I'm new to the Rift I can only go on what I've read in other forums but this never used to be an issue, so what gives guys as it's clearly something caused by your update as OBS hasn't been changed.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, we are aware of this issue and are investigating.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Chillisteak
Protege

Music to my ears that, or should that be art to my eyes? either way glad it's being looked into.
I've got some VR videos to create 🙂

Chillisteak
Protege
Wow just tried recording using a different encoder, it was absolutely horrid frame rates dropping to 40 at times. Never really been a member of the frame rate police before, but damn it's needed for VR!
It felt like someone was slamming on the brakes when the frame rates dropped, completed a race without feeling sick. But the sooner this is fixed the better because I can't be doing that again!

dlamboy
Explorer

How is investigating going? It is still an issue in 2020. I cannot use OBS when Oculus app is open ... prevents from Streaming VR. It is no workaround to get a 2nd PC to stream it ... 

SL4W
Honored Guest
This is still an issue. Is this just something that can't be fixed? If it is then I'll just get a capture card, but there's surely a fix for this?

dlamboy
Explorer
There is however a Workaround: 

Start your SteamVR Apps you want to stream without Oculus in Background in "Windows 7 Compatibility Mode" this prevents the Oculus Framework from loading it. 

For all Oculus Native software ... well bad luck.