cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRService_x64.exe high CPU usage when using Windscribe VPN

Phane7
Honored Guest
I've noticed that my Oculus VR Runtime service was almost constantly pegged at ~30% CPU usage.  After doing some troubleshooting, I pinned it down to Windscribe.  Whenever the service is running and I connect or change servers using Windscribe, the CPU usage spikes immediately to ~30% and stays there until the service is reset.  Regardless of whether I'm connected or not, restarting the service will fix the issue until I get disconnected and auto-reconnect or change servers, then it stays there even if I disconnect.  The only way to fix the issue is to restart the service, even End Task in task manager doesn't fix it.

I tried a different VPN and it didn't seem to trigger this issue, but Windscribe is my favorite.  I also tried different connection types (UDP, TCP, Stealth, etc) and all of them triggered the bug.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmnesiaOnion
Honored Guest

IDK if it's still relevant but I had the same issue, I turned 'Kill TCP sockets after connection' setting off and it solved the problem for me(from 50%+ of CPU usage to >1%).

Windscribe_lWH1XDWF8q.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmnesiaOnion
Honored Guest

IDK if it's still relevant but I had the same issue, I turned 'Kill TCP sockets after connection' setting off and it solved the problem for me(from 50%+ of CPU usage to >1%).

Windscribe_lWH1XDWF8q.png

I actually noticed on a re-installation a while back that Windscribe popped up with an alert about OVRService's high CPU usage and offered to change that setting for me as a solution.  I noticed that it worked but I had forgotten about this forum thread that I started.  So Windscribe's client now can recognize the issue and fix it for you with a prompt.  If you dismissed the prompt accidentally, that's the setting that you need to change.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?