cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus App keeps restarting when headset is plugged in(quest 2)

LilReAsoN
Explorer

So i will start by saying i got the quest 2 when it came out. everything was working good for months. I had a titan xp with a ryzen 7 3700 and 64 gb of ram. Now about a month or two ago i got an AMD 6900XT and i have been getting weird problems ever since. it first started with weird pixilation of the screen. this problem is where the screen will go really lo res for a few seconds and then go normal(then it would repeat). when it did this reinstalling AMD drivers seemed to fix it but it was quite annoying. So today i was trying to play it but after i reinstalled my driver, the oculus app on the pc will continuously crash and reopen. Sometimes it will say "Oculus app status: can't reach oculus service". As it keeps looping. Now if the headset is not plugged in the app works fine. I have tested this on a different computer and it works fine. so it is not a hardware issue. I'm pretty sure it is a compatibility issue with oculus and amd drivers. i say thins because i uninstalled the AMD driver and i was able to plug in my headset without any issue(it did say my pc wasn't compatible at that point tho)  It is kind of a pain. does anyone have a fix or recommendation? Thank you for your time.

21 REPLIES 21

ozpital
Explorer

I started getting this load/crash loop issue a few days ago. A clean and reinstall of the Oculus Software fixes it on occasion but not every time in my experience.
I've tried a fresh install of Windows without installing the latest AMD drivers. It doesn't help so I wouldn't go down the DDU/AMD Cleanup Tool route.
I'm now back on latest AMD drivers.

I'm running an AMD 5700XT.

Now this is where things get interesting in my opinion.
Using the Oculus Debug Tool as Administrator, changing the 'Encode Bitrate (Mbps)' to 0 and restarting the Oculus Service stopped the issue occurring. The Oculus software would load successfully and my Quest 2 would link normally.
Changing the Encode Bitrate (Mbps) to anything above 346 and restarting the Oculus Service will reproduce the issue without fail.

My assumption is that the Oculus Software/Service runs a test on load and having the bitrate too high will cause the test to fail and crash the Oculus Software/Service.

Another assumption is that this "346" value varies depending on system configuration but do give it a go and feedback any findings.

Once successfully connected and linked at a low bitrate, I can increase the Encode Bitrate (Mbps) beyond 346 without restarting the service. ie. Up to 500 without issue.

The issue now is that I need to lower the bitrate each time I boot my computer, restart the Oculus service and then back up to 500 again when I'm linked.

Greskel
Honored Guest

Greetings,

I can confirm the previous post.

I had the exactly same issues as you do. I tried re-install, delete system folders & reg clean but no success.

But I had previously tinkered with Oculus Debug tool to adjust Oculus Link bitrates and I had Encode bitrate at 350 Mbps. Now I turned it back to 0 (automatic) and vóila! The Link works again. I hope that this helps some of you who's dealing with this issue. But to my knowledge, the main issue lies in the ovrserver_x64.exe process, which keeps crashing all the time when the Link cable is connected. If I'm understood correctly the process is responsible in encoding the video stream from rendered image from PC to goggles.

Hope this helps someone with the issue.

ozpital
Explorer

Yeah, I kept it on 0 for now as well.

I was noticing more artefacts/pixelation when setting it back to 500 after connection.
I'm pretty certain this wasn't the case before this 'restarting' issue occurred.

Thanks for confirming @Greskel 

Hey sorry I was busy yesterday but I did play like 2-3 hours yesterday and the solution you proposed worked like a charm. I just keep it at 0 now. In fact it fixed the weird pixelation as well. I appreciate it.

Thanks ozpital for taking the time to post your fix here. I really appreciate it and it saved me hours of troubleshooting. Ironically my setting in ODT was only 350, so just above the limit. 

Setting 'Encode Bitrate (Mbps)' to 0 is working great for me too. In fact, it seems to be the best option, and I tried just about anything between 200 to 500. Now, even Dirt Rally 2 is enjoyable to play, as before it was just a pixelated mess from the compression artifacts. I didn't notice any compression artifacts in any of the games I played now recently, which are Dirt Rally 1 and 2, FS2020 and Automobilista 2. Very nice!

Krispy_1
Honored Guest

I'm using an AMD 5700XT and am having the same problem.  Has anybody received feedback from Customer Support?  Setting 'Encode Bitrate (Mbps)' to 0 seems to be working however this isn't a perminant solution. 

BLADEsc29
Honored Guest

I have the same issue. Any solution yet? 

I don't know since when this problem exists. Normally I use my Reverb G2 on that computer. It used to work before though. With virtual desktop it still works. Right now I'm working with oculus support on the problem but no solution yet. I have a 5700xt in that PC. With my other PC with RX570 I have no problems.

Deze01
Honored Guest

my oculus app keeps restarting when i try to launch airlink

Sampter
Honored Guest

This is an issue known by AMD for the latest 2021 versions of the raedon adrenaline GPU drivers. I resolved my issue by downgrading to the last recommended 2020 version. Go to AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops put in your GPU and find the "previous drivers" text on the page. Install the 2020 ver. and you will automatically downgrade your driver and oculus link should work. (I also have a 5700 XT)