cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Black screen but game running on windows

seriouscrocodile
Explorer

Hello everyone. I have a typicall black screen pcvr problem with my oculus quest 2 using oculus link and Air Link

It was wroking fine but now when i am launching the drift home i am welcome with a black screen instead. If i launch a game on the oculus windows app, it launch and i can see that my helmet is tracking movement but it is black screen in oculus quest 2.

My PC is an Asus with 3060 and Ryzen 7

I tried everything, unistalled and Install nvidia driver, oculus app. Change setting in windows to configure the right GPU for the oculus app and game.

Please Help, i want to finish Lone Echo T_T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My two cents,. The following tip helped me , so it may help you.
In case that all checks has been done (driver update, cable etc...) , and all is ok but you still have the black screen with white dots.

I suppose also that you have 2 differents GPU (like a Radeon in Ryzen APU for low power activity, and your Nvidia 3060 for high performance)
And you succeed to set the correct GPU for the correct process (like set Nvidia for process OVRServer_x64.exe)

You may try to go to "device manager" in your windows, then in "display adapters" and try to "disable" your AMD display adapter. That will force all process to use your NVidia GPU.

Then do start your game and occulus link...

If it works, you may try to re-enable your AMD GPU .. to test if your oculus link still working (for me, it still working after AMD re-enablement)

Hope that help

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey seriouscrocodile! We see you're experiencing a black screen on your Quest 2, which is no good, so here are some steps to correct this:

1. Ensure the headset is powered on (check if the power LED is on

2. If there appears to be no power, attempt to charge the headset for 2 hours

If you continue to experience issues once you've charged the headset for 2 hours, try these steps:

• Try a different Cable/Charger is possible
  • Try charging from a different Source (another PC or different wall outlet)
  • See if the headset will load the boot screen and then exit out.

-Hold the power and volume (-) button on the headset down simultaneously until the boot screen loads

-Exit and reboot the headset

3.    Reboot the headset if possible

• May need to hold power button down for 10-20 seconds to manually power off.

4. Factory reset. Click here for the factory reset instructions. 

Be sure to let us know if you need more help. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

No you didn't understand, my oculus is working properly in stand alone mod. But Ovulus Link doesn't work properly. My games are running throught oculus drift windows app, i have the sounds working in my oculus quest 2 but i have no image, i can only see 3 dot loading.

My two cents,. The following tip helped me , so it may help you.
In case that all checks has been done (driver update, cable etc...) , and all is ok but you still have the black screen with white dots.

I suppose also that you have 2 differents GPU (like a Radeon in Ryzen APU for low power activity, and your Nvidia 3060 for high performance)
And you succeed to set the correct GPU for the correct process (like set Nvidia for process OVRServer_x64.exe)

You may try to go to "device manager" in your windows, then in "display adapters" and try to "disable" your AMD display adapter. That will force all process to use your NVidia GPU.

Then do start your game and occulus link...

If it works, you may try to re-enable your AMD GPU .. to test if your oculus link still working (for me, it still working after AMD re-enablement)

Hope that help

Hello, so little Update. It works if i disable the AMD GPU and let activate the NVDIA one of course, then if i play lone echo it will lag very much. so i need to activate the AMD GPU again, and it works, i need to do that everytime i want to play (disable and enable the AMD GPU)

Sometimes however i also have a black screen with 3 dots loading if i want to play a VR video on the navigator.

Weird cause it was not doing either of these stuff before. Well anyway for now it is kind of working

Cheers !

Hey there! Which GPU does the black screen with 3 dots appear with? Does it appear on both GPUs?

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

To explain the issue use case and its workaround:

My setup:

• GeForce RTX™ 3080 Laptop GPU

• Windows 10 Home

• AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900HX 

• 17.3" display

• SSD M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 de 1 To

Oculus Quest2 with 256 GiB storage

Context :

All softwares and drivers up to date (Windows, AMD, NVidia, Oculus)

USB oculus links works perfectly with a 2.7GB transfer rate.

Issue discovery:

From one day to another (No manual change on the system)

Can't reach the Oculus "Lobby" from Quest  ( VR view turrn to black with endless 3 white dots rolling in intensity.)

Details of the discovery

• Fresh computer boot
  • Login in : fresh Windows 10 session
  • Fresh Quest 2 boot up
  • In VR : "Oculus Link" ready
  • In VR : " start Oculus link"
  • On Computer ; Oculus software automaticaly starts as expected
  • In VR : " Endless white dot"

Issue workaround:

• Fresh computer boot
  • Login in : fresh Windows 10 session
  • Disable "AMD" display adapter: (keep NVidia active)
  • Wait Nvidia take over the Windows graphical session (few seconds : less than 10 seconds)
  • Re-enable "AMD" display adapter : (both AMD and NVidia are active again: return to normal)
  • Fresh Quest 2 boot up
  • In VR : "Oculus Link" ready
  • In VR : "start Oculus Link"
  • On Computer: Oculus software automaticaly starts as expected
  • In VR : Succeed to reach the "Grey matrix Oculus Link Lobby: can start a computer VR compatible program: for me FS2020 works as expected)

Hope that will help you to reproduce and fix this issue

Cheers

Oh my god.. after trying EVERY possible thing I could and scouring internet forums for days, THIS actually helped my games run properly. THANK YOU ,THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I second the thanks!  I've gone through so much without success and this FIXED IT.

My setup:  Asus ROG Strix G17 G713QR-ES96Q Gaming Laptop and Quest 2. 

Confirmed if I disable the AMD display adapter (leaving just the NVIDIA one), then reenable, it works.

This will certainly be annoying to have to correct every time I play, but it's certainly a lot better than not being able to play at all!

2 more things:

After update to latest windows version, windows take over the choice of which GPU to use of specific app, the Nvidia control pannel no longer works, you can find it on "settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings" (on Windows 11) or you can just search "Graphics Settings".

I've also added "SteamVR WebHelper(vrwebhelper.exe)" and "VR Dashboard(vrdashboard.exe)" to use dedicated GPU, And finally, Quest Link and Air Link work again on Quest 2.