cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link for Mac

future_primitive
Honored Guest

Hey, do you now if there are any plans in the near future to provide us with Oculus Link for Mac?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! Great question, and one we'd be happy to answer for you! While it may be theoretically possible to use an Oculus headset with Mac, the spec of the computer would have to be pretty high, and you would need to use 3rd party software to run Windows, since our PC app doesn't support Mac (the problem comes with running 3rd party software, since we can't offer any sort of support for it). As far as OS support goes, our first priority is definitely Windows 11 support before macOS. After support for Windows 11 launches, we'll evaluate if it needs further optimizations. or if we have the leeway to branch off towards support for other operating systems.

Hope this answers your question, and if you have any more, don't hesitate to ask!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! Great question, and one we'd be happy to answer for you! While it may be theoretically possible to use an Oculus headset with Mac, the spec of the computer would have to be pretty high, and you would need to use 3rd party software to run Windows, since our PC app doesn't support Mac (the problem comes with running 3rd party software, since we can't offer any sort of support for it). As far as OS support goes, our first priority is definitely Windows 11 support before macOS. After support for Windows 11 launches, we'll evaluate if it needs further optimizations. or if we have the leeway to branch off towards support for other operating systems.

Hope this answers your question, and if you have any more, don't hesitate to ask!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

wx_bear
Honored Guest

+1 for the support of oculus link for Mac. Final Cut Pro supports viewing 360º footage on a VR headset when editing mode, but it needs to work with SteamVR which is what Oculus Link enables.

The newer M1 Pro, Max and Ultra chips (and going forward) should be capable of decent VR gaming, spec-wise. I get 11 Mh/s ETH mining on likely sub-optimal code on a base Mac Studio (M1 Max 24-core GPU 32GB) equivalent to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. The top spec Mac Studio with 64-core GPU ought to be comparable to the GeForce RTX 1070 Ti in terms of power. These estimates should be higher if the developer implements some Metal API optimisations. 

There should really be a place where feature requests can be voted on.  I would suspect this would be up there.  Is there such a place already?

You can go to the Ideas section of the forum and write in this idea, then other users can upvote it and spread the word. It's a cool place!

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

we mean make link app for mac

if steam did it with steam vr you can do it with link app

Hey there! Thank you for expressing your interest on this. I highly recommend providing this as an idea! I believe this will be a good Idea as well. I had to get a PC to use my link 😞 

We are all mad here.

JBGlow85
Explorer

When using my Meta 3, I cast the videos of gameplay to my Max and use QuickTime to record it in 4K. 

I would cool if I could play games from my Mac. 

I wonder if I can play steam games. 

steam games are theoreticly possible with SteamVR and virtual desktop, because steamVR has a beta for macOS users. i honestly cant get virtual desktop because im broke in that sort of area

making the Oculus Link app would help with this, and other stuff? well...

1. UnityVR development would be easier

2. no need trying to install Bootcamp Assistiant just for PCVR

not a big list. but this is a better option than giving up about 75% of your hard drive for PCVR

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?