cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link - graphics glitching

Astrid671ch
Level 2
I have a new a new Razer 15, a new Oculus Quest, and the Oculus OEM Link cable.  I can easily connect the Quest to my laptop and initially the graphics look stunning and all is well.  Once I start playing games though it starts to glitch - the frame rate drops down to an unplayable level.  There is so much lag and the graphics break down so badly it's unbearable.  I don't mean just a little off, I mean unplayable and you can't even control the game.  When I return to the home screen, the graphics remain broken down and this happens with all games - they start fine and as soon as they ramp up they break down.

I've reset the graphics in the Link app.  I've checked the USB / cable connection in the Link app and it reports all good.  I've tried turning down the graphics in the Link app settings, still happens - games start fine then graphics completely break down and lag.  I've checked for updates on my drivers and windows reports I'm using the most up to date available.   

Computer specs:
Intel Core i7-9750H 2.6GHz 
Ram 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Thanks in advance for trying to help!
 - Jason
7 REPLIES 7

clouds5
Level 5
Is that an internal GPU? Could be overheating/thermal throttling.
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

jummyboy123
Level 2
alot of people are having issues with the quest lagging through the link cable, ive found its the oculus software itself,

Mine lags hard all the time but then other times it will run smooth as hell, can't work it out myself. Oculus certainly need to look into their software, I have an RTX 2060 Super 8GB which is more than capable of running this when the Oculus software wants to play ball.

KeefTeef
Level 3
I have the same issue. Link just doesn't work. Tried everything, I'm at the point of just returning the headset to the retailer as defective

Exelius360
Level 2

Dude, that's true...
The funny thing is that (at least in my case) Steam Vr works better that The link Quest menu, and Quest Link Menu works better than all else. The way is should be is LinkQuest>SteamVr>QuestByItself, but what is going on is, LinkQuest<SteamVr<QuestByItself, and i don´t know what is going on...

PITTCANNA
Level 13

@Astrid671ch wrote:
I have a new a new Razer 15, a new Oculus Quest, and the Oculus OEM Link cable.  I can easily connect the Quest to my laptop and initially the graphics look stunning and all is well.  Once I start playing games though it starts to glitch - the frame rate drops down to an unplayable level.  There is so much lag and the graphics break down so badly it's unbearable.  I don't mean just a little off, I mean unplayable and you can't even control the game.  When I return to the home screen, the graphics remain broken down and this happens with all games - they start fine and as soon as they ramp up they break down.

I've reset the graphics in the Link app.  I've checked the USB / cable connection in the Link app and it reports all good.  I've tried turning down the graphics in the Link app settings, still happens - games start fine then graphics completely break down and lag.  I've checked for updates on my drivers and windows reports I'm using the most up to date available.   

Computer specs:
Intel Core i7-9750H 2.6GHz 
Ram 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Thanks in advance for trying to help!
 - Jason

I think you should temper your expectations and to those who think the headset defective don't bother returning.  Laptops are notoriously lousy applications for vr, if you get to work which is half the battle you are not going to get to run well.

a 2060m is comparable to a 1060 6gb due to throttling under load.  it simply does not have the colling and power supply to keep up with vr.  Considering vr is like running 4k resolution fps will chug along at like 45 fps.

Honest the best way for link to run on that laptop is to set the render res at .9X and capping the framerate to 72.  It won't hang like your getting but it will be a little bit more stable.  

@KeefTeef wrote:
I have the same issue. Link just doesn't work. Tried everything, I'm at the point of just returning the headset to the retailer as defective

The headset is not defective, your computer simply can not hang or you have the render resolution/fps set simply to high for your computer.

Laptops run vr games perfectly fine, the problem with all people starting out on laptops is getting past the integrated graphics, which is very easy to do so if anyone reading this is still getting a black screen in oculus link, go to device manager, go to display adapters, and disable the adapter that says either AMD or INTEL graphics then re enable it and your problem should vanish. If that doesnt work restart after doing re enabling. Back to the main point the problem Ive been having is that my game dies when I pull open the oculus menu while in a game. It glitches out and lags the game out, and I have no Idea whats causing it because everything else runs perfectly fine