cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link only gives USB 2

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

I just got the 3m Fasgear cable off of Amazon and I'm having trouble getting link to work properly.

At first I got USB 3 with 1.9Gps of bandwidth. Now though, after several reboots of both headset and computer, I can only get USB 2 connectivity. I've tried on both the front panel and the motherboards IO-panel (both är USB 3.1 Gen 2 on a Gigabyte Aorus G7 motherboard).

I also, quite often, get "connection error". However, I'm able to enter link on the headset despite that.

I have also tried with the Oculus power cable and a USB-C to USB-A cable from OnePlus. Same results there.

Any idea what could be wrong? I'm about to return the headset as I only got it for PCVR, which clearly isn't working very well.

11 REPLIES 11

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

AlexiTQ said:

I just got the 3m Fasgear cable off of Amazon and I'm having trouble getting link to work properly.

At first I got USB 3 with 1.9Gps of bandwidth. Now though, after several reboots of both headset and computer, I can only get USB 2 connectivity. I've tried on both the front panel and the motherboards IO-panel (both är USB 3.1 Gen 2 on a Gigabyte Aorus G7 motherboard).

I also, quite often, get "connection error". However, I'm able to enter link on the headset despite that.

I have also tried with the Oculus power cable and a USB-C to USB-A cable from OnePlus. Same results there.

Any idea what could be wrong? I'm about to return the headset as I only got it for PCVR, which clearly isn't working very well.

Troubleshooting is a skill and you have to isolate the issue. It could be motherboard, cable or headset. Since you have eliminated (maybe) the ports, you need to determine if the cable has gone bad or the headset. Either order a new cable or borrow a known good cable and try it on both ports. If it still doesn't work then try the cable and headset on a different computer. 

Most likely culprit would be the cable. I have had a cable that worked as a 3.0 and then all of a sudden is only recognized as 2.0. It works fine as a 2.0. but it definitely used to work as 3.0.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

AlexiTQ said:

Troubleshooting is a skill and you have to isolate the issue. It could be motherboard, cable or headset. Since you have eliminated (maybe) the ports, you need to determine if the cable has gone bad or the headset. Either order a new cable or borrow a known good cable and try it on both ports. If it still doesn't work then try the cable and headset on a different computer. 

Most likely culprit would be the cable. I have had a cable that worked as a 3.0 and then all of a sudden is only recognized as 2.0. It works fine as a 2.0. but it definitely used to work as 3.0.

Yes, well... I've been tinkering with computers for over 30 years now so I reckon I have some skill. The cable is brand new, it was first recognized as USB 3 with 1,9Gbps bandwidth and the same type of cable has been reported to work by many others. 
I find it unlikely to be the cable and I have tried two other cables, as I mentioned. Not sure about the Oneplus cable but I believe the Oculus power cable should work. I don't have any other computers to test it with and I can't go around buying different cables to test it with.

Most likely culprit is a software issue. 

AlexiTQ
Adventurer
So far I've learned that apparently link doesn't play nice nice with ASMedia USB-controllers. Considering how common ASM are I have to wonder if this is intentional? I mean... let's not even go there. Let's talk fixes instead. Are there any?

R4mp4ge
Explorer
Is there any solution here?  I believe this is my problem too - ASMedia USB.

R4mp4ge
Explorer
FYI - when I forced an update to ASMedia extensible host 3.1 driver using the latest from the Microsoft website, it cleared out all driver issues and now my Oculus connects.  Hope this thread helps someone else.  Frustrating that Windows says it's up to date, but Microsoft has a newer driver that solves this issue.  You have to force the update with "have disk" too.

Hello guys ! I have had the very same problem. Oculus Quest 2 was connected to my ASMedia USB 3.1 controller and it was working fine with 1.7 gbits bandwidth. I have reinstalled Windows 10 and now it goes maximum 620 megabits and I get the red X in Oculus Home when I do the speed test. It says my bandwidth is not enough for Oculus Link. 

It always worked perfectly and now it does not and it is driving me nuts. I have uninstalled the ASMedia USB controller in the control panel and rebooted infinite times without any good 😞 I have even tried to install a driver from the manufacturer I have found around, which does not make it any better. As I said it was working fine and nothing changed .. I have just reinstalled Windows ....

If I try to update the driver it says that I already have the latest driver ... 

HELP !

Thanks.

Indoorjoker
Explorer

If it was first recognized as USB 3 and now suddenly it's not after disconnecting and reconnecting it so many times it might be a problem with HOW you plugged it in. I know it's stupid but try unplugging the USB C cable and flip it. I know USB C goes in anyway you plug it but a lot of motherboards have it set so that it's USB 2.0 one way and USB 3 another. Don't ask me why. I really don't know. This, however, worked for me.

mark one end with like a sharpie so you know how it plugs in or something. If this didn't work I got nothing.

Thank you for your answer @Indoorjoker but my issue is different. Oculus Home always sees it as USB 3. That's not the issue. The issue is the bandwidth as you can see from the picture below:

francesco_2013_0-1617802438702.png

It worked super fine for months and it was always saying around 1.3 gbits bw. Now I just have reinstalled windows, all the updates and such and now it says the bandwidth is too low. 

I am using an official Oculus Link cable. I am really desperate ... why the %$^$ does it do that ? I tried everything removing the ASMedia controller and rebooting, I even tried to give it custom drivers from the manufacturer .. nothing it does not change. 

Since the Oculus Quest 2 and the Oculus Link are on warranty I guess I should ask them to send me a replacement cable isnt it ?  

there are a lot of variables to consider in a case like that but you could try joining the community beta? if this problem just sprang up one day without reason then it might be an update they rolled out I hear a lot people are having issues. 

I joined the community beta and it upped my speed by about 300mbs.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?