cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 + Link - Unknown USB Device (port reset failure).

ChrisKrd
Level 2
Hello everyone, 
I have some problems with my newly acquire Oculus Quest 2 and Occulink. 
When i plugged in the whole (after installing the occulus desktop app), i have a strange problem, the headset connects for 5 seconds, appears in PC and headset (for the authorization). And then, it suddenly disconnect, and make appear on desktop a message of error Unknown USB device (port reset failure). 

I've checked everything, drivers on my computer, on quest, on app. 
I also checked the integrity of the Occulink, and it seems to be okay (cause the "Occulus virtual audio device" appears on my sound mixer). 

So i'm a little bit lost. 
Some clues around here about how to fix that ? 
It seems to be a problem that other experienced in the past with quest and occulink.

Thank you for your answer. 
8 REPLIES 8

Saakeli
Level 2
I have kinda this same problem. When I connect Quest2 to my computer's USB-C port, it just keeps connecting and disconnecting every 5 seconds. Never had this with Quest1 (same cable and computer). I was able to connect the Quest2 with another cable to a basic usb port, which doesn't disconnect but that solution worked well enough for me to dabble about with sidequest at least, but I cannot play anything through Link. 😞

I have a laptop with GTX 1060 if it helps.

So USB-C not working, USB-A working.

gyifan
Level 2
Same issue on mine too. I have Oculus Quest 2 and Occulink. I found the disconnection occurs when Oculus Quest 2 makes short beep. I seems like it tries to launch something and causes the connection to break. 

Josh9387
Level 3
The link works once you press on beta in thr settings and not enable like it asks you to do. Although works until you start to play an pc game on it as I literally cant...

stuartbennett
Level 2
I had this relentlessly with the Rift S.. I thought upgrading to the Quest 2 would resolve it but it didn't.. I ended up rebuilding my PC which fixed it.. However, it's come back today. If you check the Events associated you will something akin to

"Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0001\5&38e97a59&0&20 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_2833&PID_0182\1WMHH810T80401
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Location Path: ACPI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(XHC_)#ACPI(RHUB)#ACPI(SS04)
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFF0030
Present: false

I realised that I had moved an external USB hard disk attached to the same USB bus so I moved it back to another port, uninstalled the "unknown device", restarted the PC and it's now working again.. So if you're on a desktop PC, try keeping any other device well away from that bus. 

Niexist
Level 2
I have the same issue, it fails via USB-C to USB-A and doesn't even chime like a device is connected when hooked up USB-C to USB-C.  This is on a laptop with a 2060 I bought the same week as the quest 2 that is VR ready.

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

I had this relentlessly with the Rift S.. I thought upgrading to the Quest 2 would resolve it but it didn't.. I ended up rebuilding my PC which fixed it.. However, it's come back today. If you check the Events associated you will something akin to

"Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0001\5&38e97a59&0&20 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_2833&PID_0182\1WMHH810T80401
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Location Path: ACPI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(XHC_)#ACPI(RHUB)#ACPI(SS04)
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFF0030
Present: false

I realised that I had moved an external USB hard disk attached to the same USB bus so I moved it back to another port, uninstalled the "unknown device", restarted the PC and it's now working again.. So if you're on a desktop PC, try keeping any other device well away from that bus. 

Ya, originally I had a problem with my pcie usb3.1 gen2 card with type-c port.  Win10 device manager was showing an unknown device and while it actually seems to work ok with Link and my Quest 1, the startup was often a bit hit and miss.  I ended up moving the card to a different pcie slot (one away from where I originally had it) and after it reinstalled Win10 drivers all was well and my device manager did not have any orange warning triangles.  Link startups also became trouble-free.  Now working like a charm with my Q2.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

stuartbennett
Level 2
I am going to follow up my previous post to say I still ran into the USB port reset occasionally and it's definitely a windows/oculus bake off.. However, I have now linked the quest 2 wirelessly to my PC which is totally awesome and no more USB errors at all. This superb chap has all the steps required on his youtube video right here.. So I now play Steam VR from my PC to my Quest 2 headset in a bigger separate room .. Just check his link, for 14.99 for virtual desktop, it has been worth every penny.. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSYgzY79nCY&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=MacInVR .

geraint.atkins
Level 4

Currently have a ticket open with support i'm about to close off after 3 months. Faulty batch of cables perhaps, if you get this issue with a rift s, check your optical cables batch number under the qr code sticker. 1WEGCH5 are problematic. ask them to send a 1WEGCH6 cable. i know 3 people now who have found this.