cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 is Stuck on black screen - possible solution

MikkiMayhem
Honored Guest
I have been consistently struggling with my oculus giving me a black screen when I try to turn it on and so far none of the forums have been very helpful. I thought my quest 2 was a lost cause until I started messing around with it, and I think I may found a solution for some who are experiencing this issue. I can't promise this will help, but so far on my oculus I've proved it true a few times. It seems to be that the screen will go black when you are about to take off your headset so it can start the sleep mode to save power and the headset recognizes this change by two things, how close your face is to the eye set screens, and the angle of screen itself in relation to the built in headphones. Basically, does the oculus think you just took off your headset because you're done? Then it's black screen time to save power.

Possible solution to this issue that worked for me: Press the screen into your face and angle it lower and closer to your face until the headset knows that you are PLAYING, not taking it off. I have a small head and face, so the few times I put on the headset, it was angled high, and since I don't like my face squished, it was angled farther away. But as soon as my husband puts on the oculus, he doesn't have any issues because he's using a different angle than me.

In conclusion, if you have a black screen that won't change and shuts off after 5 seconds, try squishing your oculus to your face and changing the angles up or down till you get your virtual environment back. If that doesn't work, there might be something further wrong with your headset and I am sorry this didn't help. Hopefully though, this is a quick and easy solution to a bizarre problem!
6 REPLIES 6

se7entythree
Honored Guest
Do you use the VR Cover facial interface? If so, this seems to be the problem. It blocks the sensor between the eyes in the headset.

MikkiMayhem
Honored Guest
I do, that probably doesn't help, but I find it more comfortable than the normal facial interface.

warrenedis
Honored Guest

Many thanks, it worked.  I pulled back the VR cover interface cushion a little to not block the sensor that faces the ones forehead and I looked down while loading and it has worked everytime so far.  Who knew... such a simple fix to what I thought was a serious problem.  thanks again for sharing.

nicolassartor
Honored Guest

Yeah this solved my problem, thanks man I was going crazy, every time I put it on the screen turns black. 

I had this problem. I couldn't figure out what the problem was until I took out the face cover. 

Wow. This worked for me too. I had already got permission to send my device back to Meta for an RMA replacement. Had already factory resetted multiple times. Have no idea why they (and every article I have read so far) did not suggest this.