cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest pairs with phone, but the app will not connect to my Wi Fi

Mr_Oculus_
Level 3
I bought an Oculus Quest the other day, but i can't get the Oculus App on my phone to connect to my Wi Fi, i'm posting this here just in case someone knows what the issue is or if someone has very good knowledge with wireless routers because i think that is the issue rather than the app itself. My phone is a galaxy s6 and is running Android 7.0.

The headset pairs up fine with the phone, but when the app tries to connect to Wi Fi, it just doesn't do it. It keeps coming back with errors saying,

Something went wrong
Headset Not connected
Asks me to re enter the Wi Fi password.

Below is a few settings that i've experimented with in my wireless router.

tried changing the channels of my BT Hub 5 numerous times.

Changed my Wi Fi password to something more simple.

Turned off my routers firewall momentarily to see if that was affecting it.

Turned off my routers smart set up.

Split my 5ghz from my 2.4ghz connection and tested the above on the new 5ghz connection.

Is there anything at all that i can try? Because i really don't know what else i can test.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
67 REPLIES 67

Mr_Oculus_
Level 3

ojuujo said:

Is everyone on the same error message now? "Headset is not connected" ? I never get the re enter password if i am very close to my wi fi router. 

Headset not connected - yes
I still need to enter the Wifi password every time I restart the app. 

Yeah i have to re enter it too, but at least it seems like it's accepting the password now. I just wish Oculus support would at least tell us exactly what is going on during "The Headset is not connected" part. Is this a blue tooth error or is the headset trying to connect to the router. Really starting to get annoyed with the lack of support now, i've tried so many things and all they can do in a week is email us their trouble shooting page, which has very limited information.

ojuujo
Level 3
I have given my Oculus Quest to my friend, he got some technical knowledge and will try but he won't be able to try it before Tuesday / Wednesday. 

ojuujo
Level 3
IMO the support should have fixed this by now. They are aware since a while of this problem, it's quite annoying not to be able to use the VR, yet reading everywhere how great the Oculus Quest is but not able to try it... 

ojuujo
Level 3
Oculus has also replied me by now but just to let me know that they are looking into it and that I should allow some time for a response. 

The funny thing here is as I received the Oculus Quest I wasn't that eager to actually play it and neither do I feel like it at the moment, it's either working or not.. but a couple of years ago I guess I would have lost my mind when this isn't working and I can't play with my new toy. 

Really only Zelda is still giving me that feeling of "I have to play" and if this would be Zelda I would have re-bought the whole thing in a store as I definitely couldn't wait!

Anyway, I hope they could find something and figure out a solution, I kind of wished we could bring the Oculus Quest into the menu and then update. 

Actually I suspect that this isn't bluetooth or wifi related (with this I mean a faulty equipment) but rather a problem with the update which is starting too early and probably causing the headset to either lose wifi or bluetooth connection at that very moment we want to connect to the Wifi. 
By me the Downloading screen in the Oculus Quest will appear in the moment I want to connect with Wifi in the app. 
I think that it's obvious that the Oculus App in that moment actually tries to connect to Wifi and probably loses Bluetooth at the same time. 

Those are my thoughts for this matter. 

Mr_Oculus_
Level 3

ojuujo said:

Oculus has also replied me by now but just to let me know that they are looking into it and that I should allow some time for a response. 

The funny thing here is as I received the Oculus Quest I wasn't that eager to actually play it and neither do I feel like it at the moment, it's either working or not.. but a couple of years ago I guess I would have lost my mind when this isn't working and I can't play with my new toy. 

Really only Zelda is still giving me that feeling of "I have to play" and if this would be Zelda I would have re-bought the whole thing in a store as I definitely couldn't wait!

Anyway, I hope they could find something and figure out a solution, I kind of wished we could bring the Oculus Quest into the menu and then update. 

Actually I suspect that this isn't bluetooth or wifi related (with this I mean a faulty equipment) but rather a problem with the update which is starting too early and probably causing the headset to either lose wifi or bluetooth connection at that very moment we want to connect to the Wifi. 
By me the Downloading screen in the Oculus Quest will appear in the moment I want to connect with Wifi in the app. 
I think that it's obvious that the Oculus App in that moment actually tries to connect to Wifi and probably loses Bluetooth at the same time. 

Those are my thoughts for this matter. 

I have given up testing it now, i was trying to get it to work every single day, but i'm not wasting any more time on it. I own a youtube channel called PSVR World and leading up to the Quest release, i had begun work on a new channel for the Quest that also has animated characters presenting the videos, the amount of time i've wasted on this thing is far too much now. 

Oculus have been aware of these types of issues for a very, very long time now. Take a look at this Oculus Go thread that has a similar issue to ours. From the looks of things, the issue was not resolved. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/64698/just-bought-oculus-go-can-t-pair-with-phone

I actually can't believe they removed the short cut key command that took you to the actual main menu Go. It was the only thing that allowed people with this issue on the Go to get a bit further, sure you can't use the Oculus Store and still have to do the initial set up at some point, but it's strange that Oculus want to absolutely force this set up on your phone even more since the Go. 

I think you could be right with the update jumping in too quickly. Mine starts downloading too when it tries to connect, it really hasn't had time to properly connect and it seems like it's getting stuck in a loop or something. Their trouble shooting page should explain in detail, each of the Quests errors. how is "something went wrong" Helpful at all. I actually bought a new phone too, as one of their errors made me believe my phone was faulty, which it was not. 

This was my last message to Oculus Support -

"Ok, no problem. How long roughly will it take for you to look into it? I'm just a little worried about returning it, as i bought the headset last week and don't want to end up with a faulty headset that i can't get refunded"

I think it's terrible that they have not replied to this, if there is a long que before our issue get's looked at, at least tell us so that we don't miss out on a refund. Before i sent this, they was replying to me in a matter of minutes, very quick response time. 

Also, they do not have a customer support phone number, so messaging them, is the only way we can get in contact. I just don't understand how such a big company can have this poor customer service.

OculusQuestDayO
Level 3
@Mr_Oculus_
@ojuujo
Earlier both phones I tried where Android 5... latest Andoid and the 5ghz wifi are the two things I wanted to test with..

I was finally managed to test using a phone which had Android 8. and the setup completed successfully.. The issue is resolved for me.. 
I assume any OS above Android 6 should work.. Now I need to return the 5ghz wifi I ordered for this issue..

Mr_Oculus_
Level 3

@Mr_Oculus_
@ojuujo
Earlier both phones I tiered where Android 5... latest Andoid and the 5ghz wifi are the two things I wanted to test with..

I was finally managed to test using a phone which had Android 8. and the setup completed successfully.. The issue is resolved for me.. 
I assume any OS above Android 6 should work.. Now I need to return the 5ghz wifi I ordered for this issue..

Thanks for letting me know. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 with Android 7, so i'm not sure why it doesn't work. It's a new phone too. 

Just so that i can eliminate other problems, did you use the new phone at your house? Meaning did you use the same wi fi you have been trying to connect to all this time? Also, did it connect straight away? You didn't have to keep pressing try again? 

Thanks for the update.

OculusQuestDayO
Level 3
@Mr_Oculus_

Yes it was the same wifi I have been using since day one at home.. but the different phone I borrowed had Android 8 OS on it.. All I did was factory reset again to ensure headset is in its default state and then connected with this Android 8 phone.. It completed successfully without any errors It only took 5-7 minutes to finish the setup..

Not sure if it makes more difference since you already tested with Android 7.. Just to isolate  the issue you may test with Android 8 or above... And before setting up make sure headset is in its default state better do a factory reset and start from scratch..  

Mr_Oculus_
Level 3
Ok, thanks. I doubt ill be able to use a phone with Android 8 any time soon and i just bought a new phone because on the Oculus page it said my new phone would be compatible, apparently it's one above the required android version.

Glad you got yours working and thanks for the updates along the way 🙂

OculusQuestDayO
Level 3
no problem.. :smile: