cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Headset Audio Defect

Interstellar_Pi
Sightseer
About 2 years ago I had sent in an Oculus Rift that I had owned since its release year (I think) and I had sent it in because it had the Right ear audio defect and I was sent a refurbished one that supposedly did not have that defect but around a year later the same defect arose so I sent in a ticket to talk about the defect and they weren't willing to fix it and now I am posting here because there is now rarely any audio coming from it. I tried using some USB headsets but it became a hassle. I had loved the Rift and it is my first VR Headset, I would love to find out how I can fix this problem so I can play in VR normally again.
5 REPLIES 5

Richooal
Consultant
If this is the same problem that affected many Rift headsets, it's the one where the ribbon cable inside the headband becomes damaged. I don't know of anyone who ever fixed this problem. Unfortunately you're stuck with using a separate audio device. (ear buds or headphones).

To check if the ribbon cable is damaged you can use your phone camera to look at the infra red LED's on the back of the head band. If they are not showing, the cable is damaged for sure. If they are showing then your cable may still be damaged but not right across the full width of it.

ejdz3ehq3n83.jpg
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Interstellar_Pi
Sightseer

Richooal said:

If this is the same problem that affected many Rift headsets, it's the one where the ribbon cable inside the headband becomes damaged. I don't know of anyone who ever fixed this problem. Unfortunately you're stuck with using a separate audio device. (ear buds or headphones).

To check if the ribbon cable is damaged you can use your phone camera to look at the infra red LED's on the back of the head band. If they are not showing, the cable is damaged for sure. If they are showing then your cable may still be damaged but not right across the full width of it.

ejdz3ehq3n83.jpg

Ok thanks I will try that, is there a mode I need to use to see the IR LEDs?

Richooal
Consultant
Some (most) phone cameras can see the IR LED's by default. Just try your phone, if they don't show, try another phone.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Richooal said:

Some (most) phone cameras can see the IR LED's by default. Just try your phone, if they don't show, try another phone.

Yes, btw that's how I took this nice photo  B) One Valve Index base station. The red/violet light can normally not be seen by human eyes. 

xw6sdpbz1b1k.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Interstellar_Pi
Sightseer

Thanks guys for your help I looked into it today and the whole back is not working most of the time, It explained a  lot and I took apart the side to find that the cable was completely torn. I appreciate the help and sorry for the long wait for the follow-up.