cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S Uknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)

Edge712
Explorer
Can't use my Rift S and get stuck on the three dot loading screen, anyone here that has had the same issue?
11 REPLIES 11

Redlightning777
Protege
Does this happen on PC startup?   Have you tried to simply unplug and re-plug the USB connector coming from the Oculus. 

I have this same issue with a new Oculus Swhere I did not have the same problem with the older model. 

I find that, in my case, I had to turn the lights on my keyboard off during startup.. cause for some reason the pc is not supplying enough power to the new unit where it was to the old one. 
Same PC same setup.

May or may not help you.   I decided to try another USB approach.  

Edge712
Explorer
I'll try turning the lights off but I doubt that's gonna do anything, I'm running the Rift through a powered USB Hub,and yea I've tried replugging everything in every single variation there is so far.

vabchgent
Protege
I had that, I just plugged the headset into another USB port. 

Edge712
Explorer
Wish it was that easy 😕

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hello @Edge712 try removing other USB devices other than the headset and your mouse and keyboard. Also, updating the USB drivers may result in changes, as well as reseating the headset cable from both the headset itself as well, the facial interface can be removed by gently pulling. If you still have issues, reach out here. - Principe
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

geraint.atkins
Protege
I am having the exact same issue and i have a case open with Occulus support but i'm just thrown down the reinstalled it, turn it off and on again route. which is becoming boring.

i am in a position to reproduce this issue and obtained logs through the log gathering app to no avail from occulus support.

Essentially i'll move the rift s to a usb 3 port and it works. turn off the pc (or restart) and i get in device manager, Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed).

i've tried beta drivers through occulus public test channel with no success.

Latest BIOS flashed.
Latest Chipset drivers running.
Latest Windows 10 updates installed and features.

I just feel Occulus doesn't have the capacity or expertise to understand the issue. we're not the only ones.

Galland
Honored Guest
I had this issue and found a way that makes it work again.

1) Open Windows 10 Device Manager
2) plug in the Rift S and if there are troubles, there will appear the "Uknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" USB device
3) unplug the Rift S
4) the unknown device will remain: right click on it and select Uninstall
5) Plug back in the Rift S and for me it works

To me this all smells like buggy drivers or worse: buggy USB bringup on the Rift S

EDIT: This solution just worked some times, I have added a new post with THE SOLUTION (PCIe USB3 card with power connector)

geraint.atkins
Protege

Galland said:

I had this issue and found a way that makes it work again.

1) Open Windows 10 Device Manager
2) plug in the Rift S and if there are troubles, there will appear the "Uknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" USB device
3) unplug the Rift S
4) the unknown device will remain: right click on it and select Uninstall
5) Plug back in the Rift S and for me it works

To me this all smells like buggy drivers or worse: buggy USB bringup on the Rift S

This is literally a pain in my ass. i have sent occulus 6 different sets of diagnostics logs. it's insane. still no resolution. i got myself in queue for the index. get a refund on this bag of dump when i can.

Wobb0
Honored Guest

Having the exact same problem. Bought an entirely new system just to use the rift, a fresh install of windows with all of the windows updates and latest driver for everything. No luck. Same problem from the very first night I tried it - "Unknown USB Device" "Port Reset failed" "the last device you connected malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." Occasionally it workd despite this (!), or the headset works without hand tracking, but most of the time the Rift simply WILL NOT WORK AT ALL on my only USB3.0 port!!! Oculus support simply has no answer for this problem, they literally just demand you restart everything everytime you'd like to use their product. Disgusting.