cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S black screen on MSI Laptop with Mini Display Port Adapter

Aupuma
Explorer
Hi, my Rift S has arrived today and I have two computers where I want to use it. 

First, I have tried it on a MSI Laptop model GP63 Leopard 8RE, using the Mini Display Port adapter.
At first it was recognized, but when it was going through the setup process there were some errors, I had to reconnect the USB and Display Port.
Finally I got to the end, where it says "Continue on the VR headset" and when I put it on, the screen does not light up, it is completely black. 
The laptop succeded without any issues the compatibility tool, it is VR Ready and carries a Gtx 1060 with the latest drivers, I don't know if the MiniDisplay Port is connected directly to the Nvidia Gpu or the integrated GPU...

Then I connected the Rift S to my desktop PC and it works properly, so it has to do with the laptop or the adapter, not the headset. Any ideas?
51 REPLIES 51

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

Morgrum said:

Guys I use a MSI laptop and I needrd a powered usb hub.
once I connected to it sll issues solved.

Funny how no matter what the problem, situation or configuration your system always is 100% functional without issue.....How is that?

Maybe because it does.
Funny that.

Ya real funny that.  There are a tonne of users with very specific issues with very specific descriptions but every time they post, there is a user like you with a very general post of "it just works for me" no matter what the issue and are unable to provide any details whatsoever beyond a very vague and basic description....

Funny that!!

Also why is it that the poster of the issue never responds saying the issue is fixed, but magically someone who never had anything to do with the thread responds that the issue was fixed by someone other than Oculus?  EVERY SINGLE TIME?  

Funny that too!!

People like you may get a kick out of trolling desperate people that spent hundreds of dollars for a system wrought with bugs, but I assure you sir, we do not find it comical in the least--especially when we go online in search of resolutions only to find multiple fake responses from industry and professional shills like you polluting every legitimate thread out there.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
The only person trolling and throwing a tantrum is you.
Look im sorry your toy does not work but that does not give you an excuse to be angry at the world and attack others because you feel like you have been slighted.
Your very first post on these forums was combative and bait to get someone to disagree with you.

Mysteriously your having issues does not mean everyone does.
I.E. Myself and my Laptop which as I have stated work fine with the S.

WAAAGH!

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

The only person trolling and throwing a tantrum is you.
Look im sorry your toy does not work but that does not give you an excuse to be angry at the world and attack others because you feel like you have been slighted.
Your very first post on these forums was combative and bait to get someone to disagree with you.

Mysteriously your having issues does not mean everyone does.
I.E. Myself and my Laptop which as I have stated work fine with the S.

Did you miss the multiple posts where I not only solved my issues but provided Oculus with a money saving resolution that saves them from needless and expensive RMA replacements or do you just chose to ignore not only that fact but also the solution I have provided?

Coldin
Honored Guest
Ignoring the arguing people above, I actually can confirm a vBios update fixed my issue.  I'm using the MSI GE63VR with the GTX 1070.  I did have to contact MSI's Tech Support, but I just asked for an updated vBios, gave them my current vBios version, and they provided the updated one with a day.

Haven't tried it out too much so far, but I was able to play for 30 minutes in BeatSaber with updated nvidia drivers without any black screens.

Unsounder
Explorer

Morgrum said:

Morgrum said:

Guys I use a MSI laptop and I needrd a powered usb hub.
once I connected to it sll issues solved.

Funny how no matter what the problem, situation or configuration your system always is 100% functional without issue.....How is that?

Maybe because it does.
Funny that.

Ya real funny that.  There are a tonne of users with very specific issues with very specific descriptions but every time they post, there is a user like you with a very general post of "it just works for me" no matter what the issue and are unable to provide any details whatsoever beyond a very vague and basic description....

Funny that!!

Also why is it that the poster of the issue never responds saying the issue is fixed, but magically someone who never had anything to do with the thread responds that the issue was fixed by someone other than Oculus?  EVERY SINGLE TIME?  

Funny that too!!

People like you may get a kick out of trolling desperate people that spent hundreds of dollars for a system wrought with bugs, but I assure you sir, we do not find it comical in the least--especially when we go online in search of resolutions only to find multiple fake responses from industry and professional shills like you polluting every legitimate thread out there.

The reason i never responded to any of the post above is because i just got tired of trying and just gave my vr to my girlfriend for now and im just building a pc because trying all these things just ENDED UP BRICKING MY PC sooooo thats why i dont respond because there is no point anymore. Over all thank all of you guys for trying to help but i wont need the help anymore.

MikePixelPusher
Protege
A real fix!!! I Requested the updated Video BIOs (VBIOs) from MSI support and after I installed it I can now use the most up-to-date drivers without blackouts. 
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

bokharij
Honored Guest

A real fix!!! I Requested the updated Video BIOs (VBIOs) from MSI support and after I installed it I can now use the most up-to-date drivers without blackouts. 

Hi, could you please specify how you did this? I did fill out a support form, but the next step was to go to the link below and fill out all the details. I'm not sure how to get all that information, like my laptops graphics cards serial number and such.

https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/ts_form.aspx

Edit: I went through MSI member site and since I had my laptop registered it auto filled most of the information. I'll post back if they resolve the issue.

Edit: VBIO update worked for me. 

limbojunkie
Honored Guest
I got my headset the day before and I could finally make it work after researching and sending support tickets.

Tl;dr: A quick solution is:
- Completely uninstall NVIDIA graphics card driver. Use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to safely and completely uninstall it. To check if the driver was uninstalled, check Windows Device Manager and from Display Adapter you should see NVIDIA card as "3D Video Controller" or other label with yellow warning icon.
- DON'T install the driver using NVIDIA Experience. Instead, let Windows Update install the driver for you.

This will temporarily solve the issue and make Rift S work. You may still need to update VBIOS for a permanent solution.

gecko1501
Explorer
Yep. Had to grab 391.48 VGA driver off of the MSI support page fixed this for me...

NicoAlma
Honored Guest

Coldin said:

Ignoring the arguing people above, I actually can confirm a vBios update fixed my issue.  I'm using the MSI GE63VR with the GTX 1070.  I did have to contact MSI's Tech Support, but I just asked for an updated vBios, gave them my current vBios version, and they provided the updated one with a day.

Haven't tried it out too much so far, but I was able to play for 30 minutes in BeatSaber with updated nvidia drivers without any black screens.

Man, I am having the same issues, with exactly the same notebook. Can you please let me know how can I download that VBios installer? MSI doesn't seem to be willing to send it to me. Thank you so much.