cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S issue

NadezdaFex
Explorer
I received an Oculus Rift S for Christmas this year and I finally got to open it up due to my horrific work scheduling and I have found this was a terrible mistake. I would have returned this thing immediately if I had learned it was a brick. 

The issue is that my pc is not showing the device. I have updated and reinstalled my graphics drivers and all windows drivers. When that didn't work, I removed the oculus app and reinstalled it twice to see if it would work. However, each time it reaches the "connect your device" with the USB and Displayport icons visible (the small grey circles) it hangs there. I tried every manner of combinations of my USB plugs and unplugging monitors. I started by removing one device after another in the case of a conflict and nothing, even when the VR headset was the only thing connected into my pc, it still did not seem to work. I tried everything on the forums and website, and I found tons of forums over this topic but no actual answers, most seem to just die off after a time and not leave you with an answer.

To be more precise, once I was sure it wasn't anything with my other monitors or USB devices, I tried it one more time, full re-install and just as if it was normal. This time, when it got to the connect your device part, it wouldn't register the USB either. It would make the windows "plug in noise" then proceed to flicker between the green checkmark and blank one making the windows "unplugged" noise over and over. No matter what USB port I plugged it into (I have 6 USB 3.0 and 2 3.1 that I tired.) it would continue this behavior. Not once in any of this did it ever turn to a green checkmark with the Displayport. 

I made sure it wasn't the graphics card (a nvidia 1060 ti) by plugging in both my monitors and trying all the ports with different devices. Each worked just fine so I do not think there is a problem with the graphics card port. I checked both cables on the Headset and there didn't seem to be any bent pins or damage. I checked and made sure the plug into the headset itself (on the left top side) was plugged in and had no bent pins.

I also tried the headset on two other computers to no avail, the exact same issue. 

i'm at a loss as to what I can do. I've tried to reinstall the app multiple times, downloading all the files, and just about everything else I can think of or find on the forums.  I'm down to it being a defect headset or a defective cable. I even made a support ticket, got an email in EXTREMELY broken English from Oculus support that asked me to reply to that email. It has been almost 3 weeks with me sending more reply emails.  

I'm about ready to contact my credit card company or best buy to see if I can call upon my consumer rights if nothing comes of this forum post. I am almost furious. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NadezdaFex
Explorer

After weeks of back and forth with the support team jumping through hoop after hoop, The headset is finally working: The cause? My connection cable was defective out of the box. 

I do not know how a 200$. Yes, a TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR cable can be BROKEN as it leaves the factory but hey, guess it's just that fragile of a cable. I took it to a local repair store and they had several rift S models with them and we tested the cable on each. Each time, the headset refused to connect to the host PC. 

So yes, if you have issues and NOTHING else is working, chances are you 200$ cable also came defective out of your box.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

PsuchO
Honored Guest

It's look like you'rs motherboar don't enought power on 3.0 ports. Try it on other PC and look to result. And chek antivirus

Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 (AM4)

I tried it on two other pc's, and it had the same connection errors. 

As for antivirus, I pretty much only use the windows defender for windows 10. It did throw some errors but I think I sorted it out? I mean, if it's as simple as turning the d*** thing off to install it i'm gonna flip a table in frustration cause why in the f*** would it block it by default? 

Richooal
Consultant

Turning off Antivirus software during install has been the number one advice for years. It shouldn't be, but it is.

You should always start by listing your specs when asking for help. So many people assume their hardware is "up to the task".

I can't find a GTX 1060 Ti anywhere, so maybe double check that bit. (I'm happy to be wrong on this, but if you find one please link to it).

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Hi,

what is the manufacturer of your USB-Controller? (You can see it in Device-manager)

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

I can't find an exact link to the part I bought anymore but I think it's this: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gtx-1060-6gt-ocv1/p/N82E16814137053?Item=N82E16814137053

Capture2.PNG

I have no idea how to actually tell but i'm pretty sure it's integrated to the motherboard since I didn't have to do anything with the ports when I assembled the PC. If that's the case, it's ASUS

Ok, thanks. As I thought it is not a 1060 Ti. Nothing in your info says anything about it being "Ti".

I knew they didn't make a 1060Ti, so I was kind of hoping you had confused it with the 1050 Ti.

I'll bow out now, good luck.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

NadezdaFex
Explorer

After weeks of back and forth with the support team jumping through hoop after hoop, The headset is finally working: The cause? My connection cable was defective out of the box. 

I do not know how a 200$. Yes, a TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR cable can be BROKEN as it leaves the factory but hey, guess it's just that fragile of a cable. I took it to a local repair store and they had several rift S models with them and we tested the cable on each. Each time, the headset refused to connect to the host PC. 

So yes, if you have issues and NOTHING else is working, chances are you 200$ cable also came defective out of your box.