cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Wilky926
Explorer
Hi all.  I bought an Oculus Rift S to replace my original Rift yesterday, set it up and played with it all day with no issues.  However today it just will not work at all!  The Oculus home keeps telling me that it requires a software restart but every time I do this it just reboots and tells me it needs to restart again.  Also windows flashes up saying the headset is not detected every time I turn my pc on now and the setup for the headset gets stuck on the sensor setup part.
I have updated all drivers and downloaded the latest Oculus software and ran the repair and nothing has worked so far.  
A google search is revealing that this has been an issue since July!  but I cant find a definitive answer as to how to fix this.
Any help is appreciated because im 2 seconds away from sending this back and getting a HTC Vive lol.
217 REPLIES 217

Helcion
Expert Protege
When i plug the Rift S into my ASmedia USB 3.1 Gen2 port it works good on startup. And since the update it doesnt have the stutter bug when turning my head. BUT i get stuttery tracking in SkyrimVR when drawing the bow (Arizona Sunshine on the other hand seemed to work fine). Since i wont risk bad tracking i keep using USB 3.0 and have to unplug and replug after every restart...

interestingly using the USB-C from my RTX card did not help with the start up bug...

edit: using the USB-C from the ASmedia controller with a USB-A to USB-C adapter brings the same result.

jiabao9166
Explorer

fishhunt said:

"USB->USB-C adapter it was only £1.99"  did not work, think I have too  buy a branded one

oculus sucks

ad0r
Honored Guest

Hi everyone,

As people have mentioned here, this is a USB issue.
I have around 70 Oculus Rift S out there, on the same Windows update (1909), same laptop models, same Oculus App version, same Nvidia drivers, connected to the same networks, etc...

And yet for some reason only a third of them have this issue.

I haven't found the cause yet, but I've found a fix.

If your computer has a USB-C port, get a USB->USB-C adapter and use that with the Rift S. Reboot your computer, and now everything's green. No reinstall needed.

I've shipped the same adapter to ~20 clients, and it fixed the issue immediately for all of them.

I still don't understand why it only happens on some of our machines though.

I hope that helps!
Cheers,
~LegendBacon

I bought an adapter and it worked exactly 1 time (the first time). But next day same problem again...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here I am.  Back again.  Even though I managed to get the software reinstalled and the headset (poorly) working, Facebook has released another update and the POS launcher can't update my Rift S. 

I uninstalled the software (again), and now it won't reinstall (again). 

When is Facebook going to fix this terrible software?

BraverThought
Protege

Mizcreant said:

Here I am.  Back again.  Even though I managed to get the software reinstalled and the headset (poorly) working, Facebook has released another update and the POS launcher can't update my Rift S. 

I uninstalled the software (again), and now it won't reinstall (again). 

When is Facebook going to fix this terrible software?

since this had been an issue since may, im going to go with never.

ad0r
Honored Guest
Interesting I moved the usb C adapter to my graphic card and it worked again for 1 time. Why does every USB slot work exactly one time and if you reboot your pc same problem again?

Zurgington
Honored Guest
My oculus came in 2 days ago, i played it for like an hour, and when i tried to play it again i got the update message, ive tried everything, and keep in mind, ive had this thing for only 2 DAYS

Helcion
Expert Protege
No luck with ASmedia. I tried a firmware update and some alternative drivers. No luck at all. I can use the rift just fine after reboot but the tracking just seems off. (very clearly visible when i want to draw the bow in skyrim)

So my best bet is to find some alternative driver for the intel 3.0 usb hub and try that.

Slenderbrine
Sightseer
So I unplug the DP and THEN the USB. I'll be getting a USB-c later and I'll update everyone on my progress

BraverThought
Protege
since not everyone is having this problem, im wondering if maybe the issue could be with the motherboard and or graphics card?  my mobo is a msi h370, and gfx is 2080 super.  dont suppose you guys with issues also have one or the other of these?