cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Wilky926
Explorer
Hi all.  I bought an Oculus Rift S to replace my original Rift yesterday, set it up and played with it all day with no issues.  However today it just will not work at all!  The Oculus home keeps telling me that it requires a software restart but every time I do this it just reboots and tells me it needs to restart again.  Also windows flashes up saying the headset is not detected every time I turn my pc on now and the setup for the headset gets stuck on the sensor setup part.
I have updated all drivers and downloaded the latest Oculus software and ran the repair and nothing has worked so far.  
A google search is revealing that this has been an issue since July!  but I cant find a definitive answer as to how to fix this.
Any help is appreciated because im 2 seconds away from sending this back and getting a HTC Vive lol.
217 REPLIES 217

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Guys this happened to me loads since I got my Rift S. I've had it since release and it happens all the time, every time they release a new update or firmware update.

It happened to me the other week and I thought it was broke but after 4 days it updated and then it worked.

Sometimes it works just buy unplugging it and putting the displayport and usb back in.

Sometimes you have to repair and/or reinstall all the software again.

Just try everything until it works. It will work eventually.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

CrazyBon360
Honored Guest
Same issue, Windows tell me the Rift S is not detected and the Oculus Software want to restart again and again.
Bringing the Setup to a friend and the same problem. WTF is wrong with Oculus??
The support also knows nothing and push the fault to me.
FIX THE S... IMMEDIATELY!

OculusPatrickJa
Explorer
Same here. Had a call from support, they said log file stated it was a windows update issue. I updated then it worked. For a while. Now it says software restart required and here we go again! Very annoyed. Oculus do you read users complaints - clearly this is a fault issue many, many users are experiencing. It can't all be unique causes. Please provide a final fix to this annoying issue or you will lose the VR market share eventually. Has anyone here found a definitive fix for this problem?

Taomyn
Protege
I just replaced my old Rift with the S this week and really disappointed to once again start experiencing connectivity issues. I spent a long time getting my current machine and the previous one sorted with reliable USB, and for at least the last year had zero issues like this. Now I'm back to square one having to mess about for 10-15min trying to get the new one just to connect.

Hope there is a fix soon.
---
Rift S | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | EVGA nVidia 3080Ti FTW3 GPU | Samsung 870 EVO Plus 260GB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Thermaltake Core V21 Case | Corsair RMx 850 PSU

jiabao9166
Explorer
same question  i got here    ,drive me crazy ...i just bought it  1 week ago

uraizen
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue, but with the original Rift. It couldn't update, so I did the repair option and all it did was uninstall it. Now I can't get it to reinstall because it fails at the end. I've tried god knows how many solutions all over this forum, reddit, and google.

SuperBigBang
Honored Guest
Suddenly, Rift S stopped working yesterday! In general, it does not react at all to switching the USB or Display Port, until this month it worked normally. The Oculus application does not see it either.

Snapjaw
Honored Guest
I'm having the exact same issue. Bought my first VR headset, a Rift S, about a week ago.

Edit: I fixed it, at least for the moment, by enabling "Public Test Channel" in the Beta settings.
Same issue again after restarting my computer

fishhunt
Expert Protege
Look in device manager there should be 2 "oculus usb hub" to make it work, if it only shows 1 "oculus usb hub" your oculus rift s wont work

Snapjaw
Honored Guest

fishhunt said:

Look in device manager there should be 2 "oculus usb hub" to make it work, if it only shows 1 "oculus usb hub" your oculus rift s wont work

I can confirm this, although mine are called "Rift S USB hub". When it wasn't working it only showed one, but after reconnecting the headset another appeared and it started working.