cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift display black with MSI GT83VR notebook

HairyCelt
Honored Guest
Hi - I'm getting sound but no display when connecting my new Rift to the HDMI port at the rear of my MSI GT83VR notebook. It's running dual GTX980 graphics cards in SLI - the Oculus app stated that it meets or exceeds the minimum requirements to use the Rift. The light in the headset is amber.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

Maxxgold
Rising Star
It's a USB issue. Try plugging in your sensor to another USB port. Disconnect anything that is not required and test again. You could be having a video card issue, I don't have any experience with notebook setups. When my screen was going black and the light was amber, it was either a USB issue, or my extension cable for the rift needed an HDMI repeater. 

HairyCelt
Honored Guest
Thanks, Maxx - I'll give it a go

zeroxanos
Honored Guest
Same issue here tryed ur tips didnt work sad day  😞

Bodyshock
Explorer
Same problem! Amber light no display tried all the USB ports tried display adapters. Anyone know how to fix this?

Honored Guest
I have the same issue ... sometimes it works though but then it flickers like crazy

Honored Guest
ok I think I figured it out.

you have to use an adapter that supports 4k HDMI 2.0
if you try anything else it wont work. I have a an display port to HDMI but it didn't work.

also MSI confirmed to me that using the built in HDMI wont make it work. they managed to get it working by using a USB type C adapter to HDMI.

this is a link from other thread.

I've seen 2 people with black screens get it working with this, might be worth a shot.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00K0UDJFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

hope this will help.

am waiting my adapter and will let you know once I receive it.

Omar

Anonymous
Not applicable
did it work Omar?

RustinWD
Explorer
I can confirm this works, we had the same model laptop at work and the Oculus would not turn on no matter what we tried. Then we got the mini DP to HDMI 4K adapter and it works great now. Also you need to turn off sli in the nvidia control panel.

Wingnutradio
Honored Guest
Hey, checking this thread...I have the MSI GT73vr and am having the same sort of issues? Are you saying we need an extension for the HDMI port? My screen goes to black as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.