cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift not working with Nvidia Driver 390.65

Zellfreid
Explorer
I used my Oculus Rift a few days ago without issues, but I recently downloaded the new Nvidia Driver. Now the screen won't turn on, and the indicator light that should turn white when functioning stays orange. I tried restarting my computer, and the headset screen still won't turn on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have not reverted drivers yet, but I will return and respond after I do. In the meantime, please let me know if anyone else has the same problem.

UPDATE Jan 14: Confirmed: Rift works fine with Nvidia Driver 388.59. Others say a clean reinstall of current drivers works, too, but I don't exactly know how to go about doing that.

UPDATE Feb 11: If experiencing intermittent black screen between working sessions try in the Oculus App: Settings > Beta > Restart Oculus
84 REPLIES 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
@RedRizla It just worked again one day after a oculus or nvidia update but not sure which was the one that fixed it. Especially since oculus releases micro updates all the time without release notes so that’s another thing that is a variable and can’t be controlled or monitored. I haven’t added or removed any software at all other than games. I think really this falls on both companies. Nvidia haphazardly creates updates without making sure it doesn’t break VR, and Oculus always has to play catch-up to fix what they ruin. They hopefully will get better at this finally now that the issue is more widespread and maybe soon we won’t have to worry about this stuff anymore. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
For people having issues with Nvidia drivers (primarily the black screen / loss of HDMI connection) can you please upload your log files to this thread? Also briefly describe what you were doing immediately before the problem (for example, did you try to launch a particular game, etc.). Thanks.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Toriessian
Protege
Not sure if the issue I'm having is related. I had a perfectly working setup until very recently. I'm seeing issues others are reporting in this thread. My Rift will work great until I let things just sit for awhile, then I either get the orange light in the headset with a black screen or I'll get some really jumpy tracking and the headset will restart constantly. Everything works fine after a reboot until I let it sit and don't play for awhile.

Using Nvidia Driver 390.77

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for sharing. This will definitely help.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

casyi
Explorer

For people having issues with Nvidia drivers (primarily the black screen / loss of HDMI connection) can you please upload your log files to this thread? Also briefly describe what you were doing immediately before the problem (for example, did you try to launch a particular game, etc.). Thanks.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

I'm having a similar issue. My steps:

- I did a clean install on my PC for other reasons, and installed Oculus Software. 
- Everything worked fine. Then I went to settings to turn on the Oculus Dash 2.0 beta. It told me to install the newest Nvidia updates first. 
- So I installed to Nvidia drivers 390.77
- Then my Oculus gave me a black screen, and orange slow blinking light. 
- I restarted my PC and tried replugging cables, but didn't work. 
- Then I turned off Dash 2.0 and Oculus worked again. Now if I turn on Dash 2.0 again, it gives me a black screen again. So it's definitely Dash 2.0 with the latest drivers. 

Also, what logs do you need? I could only find these in my Oculus folder (see attachment).
We are Cas & Chary. Two girls who love VR gaming. Our goal is to help push VR forward and give it the support it deserves. Support us by subscribing: https://www.youtube.com/c/caschary

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks. However, it's the LogGatherer zip file we need. See the second part of this post for how to obtain this file:

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have latest nvidia drivers , latest oculus update , and now I have a cloudy spot in both lens pretty much right in center of my field of view . I find myself having to look through sides of lens and turn head to side some to see clear straight ahead . This has made me not even want to use the rift right now . And yes I have 20/20 vision and eye distance set correctly . Just started a few days ago but can’t remember if after either update or which one for that matter . 

Rig: i78700k gtx1080ti 16gb ram 3tb hdd 250gb ssd liquid cooled so powering the unit is no problem . Gotta be either the rift gone bad or software issue . I’m stumped 

YoLolo69
Trustee
Hi @hot00frb,
Does it look like a physical problem on lenses or screens behind them? direct sunlight on optics can definitively burn screens behind, and I hope it's not the case for you. Less bad, could it be fogging? I don't see any "software" reason which can explain what you describe...

BTW : pretty cool machine, I'm jealous 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

JonRedcorn
Honored Guest
My oculus was working absolutely perfectly before I just reinstalled windows, I was on a driver in the 388 series, not sure the specific number, the only thing I did differently after reinstalling was using the latest nvidia driver. I am getting the same issues, screen not showing up even my monitor is flashing black, if you restart the headset works well for a while, then after sitting for a long time you come back and it doesnt work. I just rolled back to the 388.7x. I will see if that solves the issues after I get back home later. I got super sad for a second thinking I had broke the oculus, I've not used it for a little bit so that would be nearly impossible unless it can grow legs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

YoLolo69 said:

Hi @hot00frb,
Does it look like a physical problem on lenses or screens behind them? direct sunlight on optics can definitively burn screens behind, and I hope it's not the case for you. Less bad, could it be fogging? I don't see any "software" reason which can explain what you describe...

BTW : pretty cool machine, I'm jealous 😉

Thanks 🙂 my rig is in a room without windows so no sunlight . The lenses look clear so nothing I can physically see. I looked at them good after I read about the spots of glue people where seeing between the layers . I don’t know what else it could be if not a software issue other than the rift itself going bad . Since Iv had it (bought in nov/17) I had issues with aliasing bad . Tried two different computers. Emailed oculus they said it’s with in the specs . I know res is just ok on these and screen door will be there so I lived with that even though it seems for every one clear picture rift there seems to be two blurry ones. So who knows . But then a few days ago it started with the cloudy in center . No fogging issues either so idk