cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

EAF_Ribbon
Protege

Aliantha said:

.  I.... am enjoying the community so I don't know exactly what I "lost" that I deserve something for free for.

I know what I won : getting to know you :wink:

Oh boy ....

What if it's some old guy lurking young boys 😮

iFlea
Explorer

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

AndTrax said:

Refresh for awaited update....

count hours, look at monitor with disappointment and than notice the nick of "staff" who said they will post more updates as they have them... ShowbizDonkey... wait... that may explain everything. 

I think the problem is that because we want to play (or some of us want to work) we just assume the fix is like changing a battery.  Stuff like this hurts their sales so I am relatively sure they are working very hard at getting everything fixed and will do so as expediently as possible.  I see no possible upside to them intentionally taking longer than needed.

I understand and I agree with what you are saying. But without THEM posting an update to millions all around the world reassuring us that that is in fact the case, some (or as this post would indicate : most) members of community get annoyed and restless. It is only normal to know you customer base and it's expectations / needs. Gaming communities + technical problems = need for frequent updates. That's all. They can work hard and fix it for next two days i am FINE with that as long as I hear from them "it may take 24 hours" ... "we are not sure yet how long it will take we know you have been waiting for HOURS we apologise" etc I'm sure you understand what I mean. And how the hell can they not know that this will explode and create account of forum ShowbizDonkey to post update. I find it unprofessional. This post is the only official word the world has heard from Oculus and the word comes from ShowbizDonkey? Really? nice... reassuring... I don't enjoy being treated this way as a customer, hence I am angry 🙂 Not because I can't play on my one of two days off I have this week, but because I feel I am treated like this "we got your money already so shut it and wait we will deal with it when we will". 

Sadly tech companies, and most companies throughout the world really suck (I think that's the technical term) at customer service.  I don't think it's intentional, I think they really have zero training.  Lots of you claim to be security and tech professionals, I'm a customer service professional and it's just a really lacking art form especially among companies run by younger people who just don't get it.

I don't believe this is willful.  I honestly believe they posted they were working on it and really think that's sufficient.  It isn't, but I think they think it is.  Until they have something new to share they probably won't give it a second thought.  This doesn't make it ok, but customer service in every sector of our economy is pathetic.

Except Chick'fil'A, they rock... and I'm hungry

Good point, however somehow when when messups like this happen in world of warcraft Blizzard somehow spits out updates like a machine gun. If they can, so can Oculus. They think it is sufficient? No, they are ignoring it they must know it is not, just look at all the posts yelling for an update. In our current age not knowing is not due to lack of information but due to someone's ignorance. 

On the other note, I do not claim to be any tech professional, I'm just clinical psychologist working with fragile elderly playing games on pc to get a break from reality. Today I needed few hours of disconnection... next 6 days will be rough at work. So... I am angry. 

I would like however to say that I am impressed with you Aliantha. In all this thread you are the only calm voice of objective reason. Internet would be a better place if there was more calm people like you and less anger venting hotheads like me. Enjoy your meal. I'm off from here before I spill out more anger. 

iFlea
Explorer

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

AndTrax said:

count hours, look at monitor with disappointment and than notice the nick of "staff" who said they will post more updates as they have them... ShowbizDonkey... wait... that may explain everything. 

I think the problem is that because we want to play (or some of us want to work) we just assume the fix is like changing a battery.  Stuff like this hurts their sales so I am relatively sure they are working very hard at getting everything fixed and will do so as expediently as possible.  I see no possible upside to them intentionally taking longer than needed.

I understand and I agree with what you are saying. But without THEM posting an update to millions all around the world reassuring us that that is in fact the case, some (or as this post would indicate : most) members of community get annoyed and restless. It is only normal to know you customer base and it's expectations / needs. Gaming communities + technical problems = need for frequent updates. That's all. They can work hard and fix it for next two days i am FINE with that as long as I hear from them "it may take 24 hours" ... "we are not sure yet how long it will take we know you have been waiting for HOURS we apologise" etc I'm sure you understand what I mean. And how the hell can they not know that this will explode and create account of forum ShowbizDonkey to post update. I find it unprofessional. This post is the only official word the world has heard from Oculus and the word comes from ShowbizDonkey? Really? nice... reassuring... I don't enjoy being treated this way as a customer, hence I am angry 🙂 Not because I can't play on my one of two days off I have this week, but because I feel I am treated like this "we got your money already so shut it and wait we will deal with it when we will". 

Sadly tech companies, and most companies throughout the world really suck (I think that's the technical term) at customer service.  I don't think it's intentional, I think they really have zero training.  Lots of you claim to be security and tech professionals, I'm a customer service professional and it's just a really lacking art form especially among companies run by younger people who just don't get it.

I don't believe this is willful.  I honestly believe they posted they were working on it and really think that's sufficient.  It isn't, but I think they think it is.  Until they have something new to share they probably won't give it a second thought.  This doesn't make it ok, but customer service in every sector of our economy is pathetic.

Good point, however somehow when when messups like this happen in world of warcraft Blizzard somehow spits out updates like a machine gun. If they can, so can Oculus. They think it is sufficient? No, they are ignoring it they must know it is not, just look at all the posts yelling for an update. In our current age not knowing is not due to lack of information but due to someone's ignorance. 

On the other note, I do not claim to be any tech professional, I'm just clinical psychologist working with fragile elderly playing games on pc to get a break from reality. Today I needed few hours of disconnection... next 6 days will be rough at work. So... I am angry. 

I would like however to say that I am impressed with you Aliantha. In all this thread you are the only calm voice of objective reason. Internet would be a better place if there was more calm people like you and less anger venting hotheads like me. Enjoy your meal. I'm off from here before I spill out more anger. 

songnar
Explorer

kRAyZZed said:

songnar said:

Aliantha said:

KlodsBrik said:

Wait, what did I miss out on ?

Great to see so many new forum users who have been hiding under the rocks with their hmd strapped on having fun 🙂

Oh God I hope nobody posts pics of them playing VR with  strap on!

Hey! Don't you judge my lifestyle choices!

Do you need a special touch controller to track that or.....

Yeah, man! Oculus teamed up with VSauce and Brazzers to release the Oculus DONG.
Come visit me over al MultiballGaming.com for reviews, news and mild entertainment.

iFlea
Explorer

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

AndTrax said:

EAF_Ribbon
Protege

With all the employees and money they have , how in the hell is there not a new security certificate yet? Oculus has been down for 21 hours in New Zealand. SMH

You dont know what the issue is. You dont know if a certificiate expired is causing the issue or if a server went down because someone tripped on a powercord. Stuff like that happens

I know what the issue is!

They should not sell Hardware that requires an online connection  even when playing 3rd party games!

^^^This^^^
If i knew this i wouldn't buy it at first place at all.
It is like rent and subscription.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I knew I should've bought the HTC Vive. Just got my first VR Headset today, and I have to say, I'm not at all happy with my experience so far. I feel like I wasted $4000 on a Device that's not even usable.

If this is still an issue in 24 hours, for sure not reccomending this to anyone.

DandyTimeDave
Honored Guest
i have been kinda in and out of this forum all day while working to get an update. Im done work now and cant play The Rift and just got it hooked up yesterday! lol. Ah well, so is life. But i wanna thank all of you for the entertainment you have provided me today 

crossmr
Protege

Satorius said:

I fix mine Oculus Rift.  Just need to back up the date/time on your computer.  As per example I change mine to March 1st 2018.  Restart the computer and it should work again 🙂  Satorius

say RIP to anything you installed after the date you set your computer back to

Only only need to change the date to get oculus to start, after doing so you can change it back immediately to the regular time. people panicking about changing their clocks are stupid.

RetroRocket
Explorer

kRAyZZed said:

Sneetch said:

kRAyZZed said:

Etsija said:

So while we're waiting, I have a question: can I fly in Elite Dangerous with Oculus AND Touch controllers. Or do I have to reinstall my HOTAS?

Elite works with the touch controllers 🙂 - its what I have been using

Operative words, 'have been'  lol

69zy9wlvdfzn.jpg

That looks like the guy who was supposed to renew the certificate.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?