cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Software won't install

TheForbinProjec
Explorer
Long-story short; a Windows update forced me to do a clean install of Windows on my SSD.  I didn't save anything from the previous install--wiped the SSD and started fresh.  I am unable to install the Oculus software now.  The installer runs to what appears to be 100% complete, but then I get a message "Restart Computer- Sorry, we encountered an error during installation.  Please restart your computer and try running Oculus Setup again.  If you still experience issues, contact Oculus Support."

I've restarted and tried (numerous times); I've also tried manually deleting the remnants of the failed install, rebooting, and trying again.  It constantly fails.  I considered trying to install the software to a different drive, however the setup program doesn't allow me to alter the default installation folder/drive.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

TheForbinProjec
Explorer
Okay, after a lot of research I found a solution.  I had to turn off BOTH Windows Defender Firewall(s) as well as Virus Protection.  On top of that, I had to UNPLUG my headset during installation.  Windows 10 doesn't want you to disable any of the threat protection/firewalls, so you have to really dig around because there are multiple "turn off" switches. 

BigHayum
Honored Guest
@TheForbinProject you the Goat man. Thats Greatest of All time by the way. I was plotting the destruction of oculus and facebook after spending 500 dollars and cant install a program. but you saved them.

DoctorBenis
Honored Guest
I was having this same problem after disabling Defender and uninstalling my antivirus software. I'm posting this in case anyone stumbles along this page, like I did, in search of answers. What worked for me might not work for them, but I think we all know that any help while troubleshooting is worth at least trying.

TLDR: Run the OculusSetup.exe from somewhere in your C drive and make sure you have at least 30gb of space available.

----------------------------
Even though the installer says it needs ~9gigs of free space to complete installation of the Oculus App, it did not work unless I had 30gigs available.
I watched my storage change in real time. For some reason the install occupied 27gb, but when it finished it only used 15gb. Not sure why, but that's what happened, so it seems important that there are 30 free gigs before beginning.

Although it might not work for everyone, this was my process in the order I did it:
1. Delete OculusSetup.exe from D :\Downloads folder (yours might not be in D : \ but mine is)
2. Unplug your ethernet cable and disconnect from wifi
3. Reboot Windows into Safe Mode
4. Navigate to
C:\Users\[YourUsername]\Appdata
5. Search for "Oculus" and wait for it to finish
6. Delete everything associated with the word Oculus
7. Repeat steps 4 - 6 for all three folders inside the Appdata folder (these searches will probably show nothing. If so, you're done with this step)
8. Empty Recycle Bin
9. Reboot to regular Windows
10. Plug ethernet back in/enable wifi
11a. Download OculusSetup.exe from their website
oculus . com / setup
And it will show up in your usual Downloads folder
 11b. If your Downloads folder isn't in your C:\ drive, go there and locate the OculusSetup.exe file you just downloaded. Right click it, select "Cut" and then paste it anywhere in your C:\ drive.
(Personally I opened my C:\ drive and dropped it right there. To be safe I double checked that the file wasn't still in D : \ Downloads)
12. Run OculusSetup.exe from its new location in the C:\ drive.
13. [Solved]

The important things seemed to be having 30gb of available space and launching the .exe from my C:\ drive.

Faster123
Honored Guest

go to Reg Edit at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC\

right-click folder to permissions and grant full control to all members. Do the same for the subfolder Oculus. Thank me later.

Cydneee
Honored Guest

I tried everything here, spoke with oculus support who told me to try installing with a VPN even though I had downloaded the installer just fine, it just kept crashing when I tried to install. Turns out that when I uninstalled the software, it left behind a folder in program files. After I deleted this, the install worked with no problems, it was easily overlooked, hope this helps someone!