cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Store in Korea

SchroderCat
Honored Guest
Currently stationed in South Korea, bought a Rift through amazon. 

I used to be able to access the store for games, and now I can't. I even have store credit on my account. When I open the store now, there aren't any games listed, and in the desktop app it says the store isn't available in my region. I'm very confused. I've had my rift for almost a year now, and I'm just now having these issues. 

I RMA'ed my headset, and I'm currently using the replacement headset Oculus sent for the first time, if that has anything to do with it.
15 REPLIES 15

james05park
Honored Guest
Mee too. Why can't korean users have access to oculus store?

ppcloud777
Honored Guest
I have a same problem. Oculus MUST answer this. 

crossmr
Protege
I'm in Korea and have had an oculus rift since last summer. Made tons of purchases on the store, suddenly I can't access the store in the headset and on the website it says it's unavailable in my country. Fantastic service oculus.

kojack
MVP
MVP
For some reason Oculus doesn't sell Rifts to South Korea. They do sell the Go there though.
Especially odd since this forum has had a korean section for years.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

crossmr
Protege
They sell the go here, and turned off the store here? how does the go get software?

kojack
MVP
MVP
The rift and the go have different stores.

Have any of you tried a VPN to fake your location?

Since the rift was never officially sold in Korea I'd guess they aren't likely to restore its store (since it probably never should have worked anyway). Which really sucks if you've already bought things.

Make sure you submit a support ticket, this forum is mainly community supported now.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

crossmr
Protege
Sent a support ticket already. No answer yet. When using the store from Korea it displayed the price in local currency, so I don't really see that at all.  It worked perfectly fine. They even were collecting the proper amount of tax. I don't buy their story that it was a "bug" (found a post on reddit of them replying to someone claiming it was a bug). There are also tons of other countries where they don't officially sell the rift and I haven't heard of the store being disabled there either.

Also, a vpn, while slow, will probably work, or it seems to, but it doesn't solve the in headset store issue, unless I put the  whole machine on a vpn. which is not ideal because i wouldn't want to run online games through a VPN.

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer

kojack said:
Since the rift was never officially sold in Korea I'd guess they aren't likely to restore its store (since it probably never should have worked anyway). Which really sucks if you've already bought things.
If that is the case it is a terrible situation. I find it disturbing that someone could be denied access to games they have paid for just because of where they are. I hope this is just a bug that they can fix quickly.

crossmr
Protege
Luckily we don't seem to be denied access to the games we've paid for. I just tried installing something that wasn't installed. I also tried using a VPN to grab NextVR for free and adding that. We just don't have access to the store anymore. it doesn't make any sense and all oculus support gave me was a garbage form answer "we don't support Korea but we hope to!" The entire situation makes absolutely 0 sense. If they are selling oculus go in Korea and have set up a go store, that means they have a billing/tax/etc system set up to handle Korea. So there is no reason for the regular oculus store to suddenly be disabled after working here for so long. It was already working perfectly, tax and local currency. I guess I'll be spending all my money on steam now, but it's a bit of a kick in the stomach to have an entire part of the experience not work (the store, not only can we not buy anything, we can't even see anything, so no trailers , nothing)